We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your top 3 ‘regular’ things & top 3 'weird' things to do?

Dublin
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Your top 3 ‘regular’ things & top 3 'weird' things to do?

I’ll be in South East Asia later this year. I have my own ideas of stuff I want to see and do but interested to see what your ideas are.

Bit about me – I’m male, mid 30s, fit, adventurous. I’m equally at home chilling in a hammock/on a beach as I am partying until daylight (not too much of that these days though) or doing some white knuckle adventuring.

Yeah I like the historic stuff etc and I want to see that but I also like the back streets, the grubby areas and the lesser known places of interest.

I’ll be doing quite a bit of trekking and climbing in the Everest region before the rest of SE Asia so I’ll probably have the hiking/climbing/adventuring thing out of my system by then for this trip.

I don’t have a lot of time in Cambodia this time unfortunately - probably about 10 days (I know, I know...I need more time, but I don't have it this time). So I’m trying to nail down a small number of things that I definitely want to get to and wing the rest.

So I’m looking for your:

Top three ‘regular’ things to do in Cambodia:

Top three ‘weird’ things to do in Cambodia:

Thank you very much in advance.

Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your top 3 ‘regular’ things & top 3 'weird' things to do?

For one of the "weird" things to do, you could throw a hang grenade or fire a rocket launcher.

thisboundlessworld.com/phnom-penh-cambodia-s…

I think eating some weird bug would be another.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your top 3 ‘regular’ things & top 3 'weird' things to do?

1. See the temples at Angkor.

2. Eat "amok".

3. Watch an Apsara (dancing) show.

While I don't find the following "weird", others might and they are definitely unique thing to try while in the country.

1. Eat a plateful of fried insects, washing them down with cold beer.

2.Go and see some less-visited temples around the country- Preah Vihear, Sambor Preah Kuk, Preah Khan (Preah Vihear) etc...

3. Attend a traditional Khmer party, and be sure to dance around the center table.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 03:19
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your top 3 ‘regular’ things & top 3 'weird' things to do?

Weird: get your feet massage/eaten by fish in a fish tank. Not sure how hygienic this is though...

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your top 3 ‘regular’ things & top 3 'weird' things to do?

#3. I'd be careful of the possible hygiene issues.

I walked past one of those places on Sivatha Blvd in Siem Reap, and all the fish were dead. Could have been a power cut I suppose, but it was enough to put me off.

Dipped my feet in Bangkok though, at the Siam Ocean World (see my new avatar), and that was quite neat.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your top 3 ‘regular’ things & top 3 'weird' things to do?

Those "doctor fish" tanks can be potentially dangerous. Some are fish that just nibble, others are fish that chew and can leave sores that are open to infections form all the other gunk in that water (gross!), these things are pure novelty attractions and are not properly monitored so I wouldn't take a chance.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your top 3 ‘regular’ things & top 3 'weird' things to do?

no way I'd put my feet in a pool of dilute fish-poo

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your top 3 ‘regular’ things & top 3 'weird' things to do?

I think it was on the Thai forums where I read about a woman who went to one of those and ended up with festering sores that ruined her vacation. I'd clearly stay away. It's a dying fad, they (the pools of fish) won't be around much longer...

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your top 3 ‘regular’ things & top 3 'weird' things to do?

My missus almost got swallowed by one (see avatar)!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your top 3 ‘regular’ things & top 3 'weird' things to do?

Ha ha!

Alexandra Vic...
Level Contributor
393 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your top 3 ‘regular’ things & top 3 'weird' things to do?

A foot massage for me any day( by a human, not a fish) a highlight of my last trip to Cambodia . Every time I had one I fell asleep , and this from a person who hates his feet being touched. Happy travels