We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice regarding Xmas + New years trip through SE Asia

Sydney
2 posts
Save Topic
Advice regarding Xmas + New years trip through SE Asia

Hi,

We are planning a trip to SE Asia for 2 weeks from 20th December to 3rd January and I'd like to get some advice from some experienced travelers.

We haven't nutted out exactly what we are doing while we are over there (only the flights in and out of Bangkok are booked), but this is basically what we would like to do:

We are flying from Sydney to Bangkok and plan to spend 1 night there before flying out to Hanoi the following day, where the plan is to spend 3 nights. An overnight Halong Bay cruise is what we'd like to do as well.

We would then fly from Hanoi to Siem Reap for 2 nights where we would visit Angkor Wat.

Then maybe a bus to Phnom Penh for another 2 nights.

After that we'd like to spend 3 nights somewhere beachy. Originally we were thinking Phu Quoc but then decided Sihanoukville would probably be easier. We could maybe get a bus or cab there.

From there we need to head back to Bangkok to spend NYE and the following 2 nights before flying back to Sydney.

I'd like to get people's thoughts and recommendations on this schedule. Should we book flights now from Australia or is it better to book over there?

Any advice or input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice regarding Xmas + New years trip through SE Asia

Hi,

Looks like a good plan,

A few things to remember,you will have to firm up your dates and get a Vietnam visa from Aus before you go and will need to show what day you enter Vietnam. They are normally a single entry visa so if you go to Phu Quoc it will mean another visa or a multiple entry first time.

You can book Air Asia flights online and if you do now the price will be good.

Sihanoukville is great and you can find the beach you want there,tourist or quiet,but a fair way from Phnom Penh so you will lose a day each way travelling.Christmas does not make a difference.

Have a great trip,

Regards Pat.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice regarding Xmas + New years trip through SE Asia

Hello again,

I forgot to say it is hard to get from Hanoi to Siem Reap it think only Vietnam Airlines fly this. Will need some research, Regards Pat.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice regarding Xmas + New years trip through SE Asia

You can always get a private taxi or car from PP to Sihanoukville, this will make the trip from PP to Sihanoukville not as long, but its not an all day trip, perhaps 5 hours?

Just a tip - book early! If you have your heart set on particular accommodation, book now. The popular places book out very quickly.

Sydney
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice regarding Xmas + New years trip through SE Asia

Thanks for the replies. Due to time constraints, we're thinking now about going from Bangkok to Hanoi, to Nha Trang, then to Phnom Penh via Saigon, and up to Siem Reap and then back to Bangkok.

I was thinking airfares might be a little cheaper but I suppose the time of year contributes to the higher cost.

We will nut everything out soon and then look at getting our Visa for Vietnam.

Cheers

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice regarding Xmas + New years trip through SE Asia

AirAsia have just started up on the Siem reap to Bangkok route. Their fares seem quite reasonable compared to other airlines that I was looking at.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,170 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice regarding Xmas + New years trip through SE Asia

I think you need more time in SR 2 nights in SR in reality only gives you one full day - there is masses more than just Angkor Wat to see - I would almost be thinking about skipping Cambodia this time and making it a separate trip at another time - you could easily spend 10+ days in Cambodia

have you checked out the sample itineraries at www.canbypublications.com

7. Re: Advice regarding Xmas + New years trip through SE Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 05:18