We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest way from PP to Sihanoukville

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Quickest way from PP to Sihanoukville

Hiya

A friend and I are making this trip in October. We arrive in PP late monday 14th and need to be in Sihanoukville asap Tuesday as we are charting a small yacht with a couple of friends who will already be down there.

We are a little concerned with the speed of getting down there by bus. We cannot leave the day before.

Does anyone have some helpful recommendations as to how we could make the journey? Don't mind spending up to $50 on a cab if this is possible.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards

David

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest way from PP to Sihanoukville

Hi David,

Get a hotel for the night in PP and a taxi to S/Ville early on tuesday.

$50.00 no more and 3 hours, don't travel at night.

Hotel can arrange for you.

Regards, Pat.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickest way from PP to Sihanoukville

Thanks Pat!!

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,629 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickest way from PP to Sihanoukville

Avoid any nigh-time Kamikazi taxi trips.

Best regards. Ian

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quickest way from PP to Sihanoukville

Yes, your hotel can organise a taxi for you and it will be the quickest way to go.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quickest way from PP to Sihanoukville

Ian, but day time taxis ok, right??

Probably 9am hotel departure.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,629 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quickest way from PP to Sihanoukville

Hello again David,

It's a qualified yes, it's ok because at some times of the day and for some destinations you don't have that many options. So as already posted by Ann, please have your Hotel/Guesthouse arrange a taxi for you. I say this because over time the Hotels/Guesthouse have learned from the feedback of their guests who are the better drivers with the better maintained vehicles. So on this basis daytime taxi is ok.

But please avoid nigh time driving in Cambodia.

However, this is a topic that truly divides this Forum.

I'm almost certain that shortly some other poster or other will come on line and say my posting is a crock of old B/S and that he or she has driven hundreds of thousands of miles at night in Cambodia and this may indeed be true for that person. Lucky them, they got away with it. But this does not mean that the dice will roll the same way for you.

But as I've been going to Cambodia every year now several times a year for over 21 years my advice to you is to avoid any long distance travel in Cambodia at night at all cost.

The general rule in Cambodia is that size and weight of vehicle matters greatly for survivability . The bigger and heavier the vehicle you are in the better your survival chances in an impact. But even this is not fool proof given the very high bus accident rates and very high mortality and casualty rates for some bus companies.

No bus company, of course, is accident free, not even in Australia, but some bus companies are more accident prone than others and have more deaths and mutilated passengers than others. It would take an essay to sort this one out on forum.

Your personal driver may be very good indeed - but what about the other idiots on the road?

Light vehicles do not have a snowball in Hell's chance of survival given the very many very large, heavy and grossly overloaded, poorly maintained vehicles on Cambodia's very inferior road network.

I hope that this reply does not sound too contradictory?

All best regards. Ian

Edited: 10 September 2013, 00:04
Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,629 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quickest way from PP to Sihanoukville

And as a postscript, David, I should have added:

Cambodia is a Left Hand Drive (LHD) country and, currently, only Left Hand Drive vehicles may be imported. BUT, and there is nearly always a but in Cambodia, to get Cambodia mobile again after so many years of destruction, for many years vehicles were imported and placed in to use in Cambodia regardless of wether they were Right Hand Drive (RHD) or Left Hand Drive vehicles.

As such, there is a very large and ancient legacy fleet of clapped out old RHD vehicles still operating in a LHD system on single lane in each direction roads. You do not need to be Albert Einstein to work out what happens when a very heavy, large., overloaded, underpowered, slow RHD vehicle pulls across to your side of the road to see if it is even safe to see if it safe to overtake another vehicle or object such as water buffalo on the road.

So please insist YOUR vehicle is an LHD vehicle or chew Valium much of the way!

Best regards. Ian

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Quickest way from PP to Sihanoukville

Well said Ian,

If anyone says it is safe at night on the road to S/Ville I tell them to go up to Victory Hill police compound and have a look at the vehicles in there,

Busses,cars, mini bus and trucks.

Soon changes their mind.

Day travel is hairy,just take your time and tell driver if you are worried.

I use taxi if I want a 3 hr trip or bus 6 hours approx

Regards Pat.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,629 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quickest way from PP to Sihanoukville

Hello Patric,

Thanks for your supporting reality check to the forum.

There are far too many glib posters on Forum that because "they" got away with it think that it is perfectly acceptable to tell others to do the same. Like heck it is.

As I've posted many times before, I've seen far too many Police "Vehicle Graveyards" in Cambodia to even think about travelling at night. Tourists seldom see these places but regulars to the country working off the main roads and in many assorted towns see them far too often.

Best regards. Ian

Edited: 10 September 2013, 02:24
London, England...
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quickest way from PP to Sihanoukville

Thanks for the stern advice everyone. My friend who has been living out there for a year or so now has said he will arrange our transport - he's an account so very sensible and risk averse, sure we'll be fine. And yes, he's said morning travel.