We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to go from Kampot(Cambodia) to Vung Tao (Vietnam)

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to go from Kampot(Cambodia) to Vung Tao (Vietnam)

Hi All,

I will be spending the last two weeks of November 2013 in Cambodia and Vietnam.

I am going to Kampot (from Phnom Penh) to stay a few days with some friends. After that I am heading to Vung Tau in Vietnam where I have other friends to visit.

I searched about the best way to go from Kampot to Vung Tao and many suggested to go back to Phnom Penh by bus, get another bus there to go to Ho Chi Min City. Is that the best way? Other says I might going via Ha Tien (I know there is a bus from Kampot) then from there head to Ho Chi Min City by bus or boat (or a combination of the two).

Has anyone done this route already? What are your recommendations? I would like to avoid doing Phnom Penh - Kampot twice and see something new going through Ha Tien, but maybe it is too much of a hassle?

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to go from Kampot(Cambodia) to Vung Tao (Vietnam)

Just Goggle mapped it to see where it was in relation to Kampot and complete otherside of Vietnam past HCMC. You can still go through Ha Tien it will just mean a bus from their to HCMC and then another to Vung Tao.

Contact OasisbarHa-Tien on this forum to find out if you can get a through bus from Ha Tien to HCMC or what travel options are available to you, he lives in Ha Tien and is very helpful with advice.

Hope this helps. Oh and its easy to get either a taxi or a mini bus to Ha Tien from Kampot, only a couple of hours if that.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to go from Kampot(Cambodia) to Vung Tao (Vietnam)

Thanks, that is helpful

Ha Tien, Vietnam
Level Contributor
704 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to go from Kampot(Cambodia) to Vung Tao (Vietnam)

Well for some bizarre reason,you can actually get a bus from Ha Tien straight through to Vung Tau.! I've seen them at Ha Tien bus station several times.I should think they must go through Saigon.They are fairly new looking A/C coaches.I will try and find out more about price/timings etc.although I would think it would be a long journey,it's about 8-9 hours to Saigon,and then another 3-4 to Vung Tau

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to go from Kampot(Cambodia) to Vung Tao (Vietnam)

Again, you are wonderful OasisBar!!

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to go from Kampot(Cambodia) to Vung Tao (Vietnam)

That's great, thanks!

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to go from Kampot(Cambodia) to Vung Tao (Vietnam)

There is also a hydrofoil from HCMC to Vung Tau which will take 1.30 hrs.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to go from Kampot(Cambodia) to Vung Tao (Vietnam)

Wow, thats is great! Let us know how it all works out won't you, enjoyyour trip and when in Kampot please pop into the Rikitikitavi for a cocktail and say hello or up to Veronica's Kitchen and say hello!!

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to go from Kampot(Cambodia) to Vung Tao (Vietnam)

Sure! Looking forward to it ;) One more question: how is the road situation Phnom Penh - Kampot? I read about some road works going on (via Kep) which will increase the journey time up to 7hrs! I am wondering if it is better to go to Sihanoukville from Phnom Penh, spending a night there and the day after go to Kampot...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to go from Kampot(Cambodia) to Vung Tao (Vietnam)

Road between Kampot and PP is fine, sealed all the way, no dramas approx 3 hour sin a taxi and 4 in a bus.

there is a small bit of road works on the road between Kep and Kampot but it will not hold you up much at all.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to go from Kampot(Cambodia) to Vung Tao (Vietnam)

Thanks!