We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 weeks solo in Cambodia. start/finish in Bangkok. advice?

Melbourne
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
2-3 weeks solo in Cambodia. start/finish in Bangkok. advice?

Currently in Thailand with my 30-day tourist visa about to expire.

Want to see what Cambodia has to offer whilst doing a visa-run at the same time.

21/Australia/Male/Travelling solo

Budget: $1000-$1500

Travel time: 18-20 days

What I want from this trip:

To do the touristy stuff whilst staying under budget.

Temples, historic war monuments, sightseeing, nightlife

I have 2 suitcases as I didn't plan on doing this at the start, should I scrap them and get a backpack? (Been offered one for $60 in Thailand which is why I mention this)

Is a round trip on land from Bangkok-Cambodia-Bangkok practical?

Where should I go, what should I see and what should I expect to pay?

I don't know what I want, I'm just drifting and looking for some advice. :)

london
Level Contributor
963 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3 weeks solo in Cambodia. start/finish in Bangkok. advice?

Hi there

We haven't yet been to Cambodia but would suggest that you get your hands on a guide book and just pick a spot and go! I believe that there are busses from bangkok ....or Air asia to Siem Reap.

Definitely ditch the suitcases....and enjoy your trip......having a month to spare like this is something that most people would give their right arms for.

As an alternative if you enjoy diving the Philippines is wonderful....you can get a cheap flight from Bangkok to Manila.

Sorry to not be able to offer more concrete advice.

Best wishes

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-3 weeks solo in Cambodia. start/finish in Bangkok. advice?

im going to cambodia in feb, but only for 5 days

personally with 2-3 weeks i would fly to siem reap with air asia as the border change can be a nightmare from what ive read. you could incorporate laos/vietnam into your itinerary as well, spend a week in each country

so say 4/5 days siem reap, 2 days phnom phen, then go to ho chi min city in vietnam and spend a week around that area and fly back to bangkok

quite a few different choices you could take, all depends on what you want personally. i only really want to do siem reap in cambodia

Janesville...
Level Contributor
377 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-3 weeks solo in Cambodia. start/finish in Bangkok. advice?

I spent 3 weeks in Cambodia last year and loved every minute. It was my 2nd visit.

If you could cram all your stuff into one suitcase that would be easier to keep track off. I am unsure if there are rental lockers at Bangkok - but I am assuming there are...

I think you do need to get a guide book or do some more research on TA to get an idea of what you want-- there is so much in Cambodia - you need to give a little more info....

I love Phnom Penh and could easily spend 5 days there and I spent 10 days in Siem Reap - and got a 7 day temple pass and did some backroad exploring - Awesome! I climbed as many temples as I could!

Kep or Kampot is definitely worth atleast 4 days.... a really interesting sleepy town with some awesome food! Its easy for find nice rooms for around $20 bucks or less....

The food is wonderful and cheap.... Do a little more research and repost for more detailed help

Edited: 31 October 2013, 19:08
Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-3 weeks solo in Cambodia. start/finish in Bangkok. advice?

I will be and have done the same thing in the past. This January I will again be doing the same.

First off, leave your suitcase in your hotel in bangkok, never a problem with this, of course you would have to book a room for the return.

A backpack is all you need in Asia. Cambodia is quite cheap, temples in siem reap, nam phen for nightlife, beaches and island life around snookyville . This year I will travel without reservations in cambo, more flexibility that way. Landing in bangkok, next day to phenom penh, 23 days there and then back to my condo in Thailand.

You will have fun, no worries mate.

Travel safe.

I fly everywhere, very cheap.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-3 weeks solo in Cambodia. start/finish in Bangkok. advice?

Certainly do able, if you can have a look at www.canbypublications.com and travel fish is also good.

Head from Bangkok to SR or head from Bangkok to Trat and enter there and scoot along to Sihanoukville, Kampot, PP, Battambang, Siem Reap.

Budget can be anything you want it to be really, form $10 a night accom to $300+ same with food, Cambodia caters for all budgets and the amount you have put aside is pretty spot on.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-3 weeks solo in Cambodia. start/finish in Bangkok. advice?

AnnG62 + 1.

If you've got 3 weeks then keep the pace gentle and enjoy all that Cambodia has to offer.

Plan your itinerary around the route that AnnG62 suggests and you can't go wrong.

Personally, I'd leave Battambang (3 nights) as your final destination, and return back into Thailand overland at Poipet.

Stay overnight at Aranyapraphet (Market Motel), and get the 0640 3rd Class train back to Bangkok (Hualamphong). It's a lovely train ride, takes 5 hours and only costs 48 bahts, and will be one of the highlights of your trip.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-3 weeks solo in Cambodia. start/finish in Bangkok. advice?

If you stayed in Thailand before Inwould assume you went to one of the islands. If you did, I would not nother heading to Sihanoukville.

Must sees in Cambodia are obviously Siem Reap (4-5 days) and Phnom Penh (2-3 days). Battambang is always highly recommended, unfortunately I missed it. So this should cover 10-11 days (including one day for travelling between SR and PP.

If you want to do some outdoor activities (i.e. trekking), you could either head north to Banlung in Ratanakiri (heard it is great for outdoor activities), or Sen Monorom, which I really enjoyed as it is not very touristy, though still lots to so (trekking, hiring a motorbike to explore the suroundings or heading to the Elephant Valley Project. You woulld need a day for heading to both places, and a day for return. Staying three days would be a nice mix from the beaten track in Cambodia.

You could then also add a trip to Kep or Kampot.

Your budget should be sufficient. I found SR the most expensive place, as you spend money for Tuk Tuks to get to the temples, entrance to the area etc. Definitely worthwhile though...but even there you can get clean rooms with A/C for $10-15.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2-3 weeks solo in Cambodia. start/finish in Bangkok. advice?

I only suggest Sihanoukville as a route! It would be an interesting way to travel through from Thailand.

9. Re: 2-3 weeks solo in Cambodia. start/finish in Bangkok. advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 13:50
Edited: 30 November 2014, 13:50
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,937 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2-3 weeks solo in Cambodia. start/finish in Bangkok. advice?

another vote for AnnG's itinerary.

and remember that if you re-enter Thailand via a land crossing you only get 15 days free visa, via air is 30 days - this may impact your planning