We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most clear non-accent English speaking guide for Angkor Wat?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Most clear non-accent English speaking guide for Angkor Wat?

We will be traveling to Angkor Wat in March with my 2 older parents. My father and mother have a really hard time understanding a foreign accent so after reading the "Can you recommend a guide" section I dont have a sense of which guide may have the most clear accent. Any suggestion or help? There is not point in paying for a guide we dont understand clearly.

Ba Ria-Vung Tau...
Level Contributor
890 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most clear non-accent English speaking guide for Angkor Wat?

can you imagine a Vietnamese tourist requesting a non accented guide in your country ?get real. enjoy your trip accent or no accent .you must remember english a foreign language to SEA.look for student to travel with as a guide they need the cash,,have a happy trip

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,983 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most clear non-accent English speaking guide for Angkor Wat?

I agree with Jack, though his suggestion of a 'student' may be difficult - you have to be licenced to 'guide' visitors through the temples of Angkor.

Maybe you could 'translate' for them

Ba Ria-Vung Tau...
Level Contributor
890 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most clear non-accent English speaking guide for Angkor Wat?

i really mean[]travel with the guide as a translator]

San Francisco
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most clear non-accent English speaking guide for Angkor Wat?

Maybe the title of my post is not well said but in my description I am asking for someone who may be more clear to understand that others. I can't expect a totally non-accented person but there are strong accents and not so strong and more clear to understand. I was hoping someone who had a guide previously could respond with "our guide was clear and easy to understand" etc

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,983 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most clear non-accent English speaking guide for Angkor Wat?

have you checked out the guides page? a number of posts there make note of the guide being 'easy to understand' - do read between the lines, some are pretty thinly disguised self-promotion posts,

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g297390-c107585/Siem-…

Edited: 05 November 2013, 09:02
Italy
Level Contributor
39,513 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most clear non-accent English speaking guide for Angkor Wat?

There are loads of guides for angkor Wat, you can wait until you arrive and hire one after first talking with him, your hotel can organise this for you but we found both the tuk tuk drivers and the guides spoke very dood English.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,404 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Most clear non-accent English speaking guide for Angkor Wat?

Non-accented is a relative thing. Everyone has some accent. I find some Americans very difficult to understand, when they are speaking fast. Similarly, people from Northern England and Queensland can be equally incomprehensible to me. When I was in Cambodia, they found my accent difficult to understand. So, I echo the comment above, wait until you get there to choose your guide.

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most clear non-accent English speaking guide for Angkor Wat?

Hi

Just ask the staff on reception at the hotel you will be stayinfg at to find a guide for you. We stayed at the Borei Angkor and the saff at reception arranged all our trips for us with very good english speaking guides.

Infact one of the guides english was so crisp he sounded like Noel Coward!!

Manicus.

9. Re: Most clear non-accent English speaking guide for Angkor Wat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 05:18