We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week itinerary Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
3 week itinerary Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia

Hi everyone, I am planning a 3 week trip in May 2014 to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. I am flying from London and plan to head to Bangkok first as I believe this where I can get cheapest direct flights to get into the region. I am travelling with my wife and we are keen photographers looking for a mixture of temples, natural scenery, and good food.

So here is my rough itinerary:-

-Fly from Bangkok to Phnom Penh (Flight using Bangkok Airlines)

-Phnom Penh (2 nights and 1.5 days

-Bus (Mekong Express or Giant Ibis) from Phnom Penh to Siam Reap

-Siam Reap (5 nights and 4.5 days)

-Fly from SR to Luang Prabang (using Laos Airline)

-Luang Prabang (5 nights and 4.5 days) before getting a bus to Vang Vieng

-Vang Vieng (2 nights and 1.5 days) before getting a bus to Vientiane

-Vientiane (3 nights and 2 days)

-Fly from Vientiane to Bangkok (Flight on Laos Airlines)

-Spend 2.5 days in Bangkok before flying back to London

Please could you give any comments as to my itinerary? Specifically:-

i) I have tried to allocate a good amount of time in each place - please let me know if I should be spending more or less time in each place

ii) Are there any other interesting towns/places which I have missed which could potentially be added to the itinerary? Or things which I should consider taking off?

iii) I have seen other itineraries where people have gone to Bangkok, then Laos and then Cambodia - are there any cost or time savings from doing this?

iv) I believe that Bangkok is the best place to start our trip around Laos and Cambodia - are there any other options which I have missed?

v) I have taken flights where I can in order to save time as I have quite a limited time to spend in the region - are these the best available options or could I get a train/bus?

I apologise for the really detailed questions :) and many thanks in advance :) :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 3 week itinerary Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia

Busy but a great taste.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 3 week itinerary Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia

I'd add another day onto Battambang.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 3 week itinerary Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia

Why not take the overnight sleeper train from Bangkok (Hualamphong) to Nong Khai on the Thai/Laos border? Scroll down to the Bangkok to Vientiane page on this link...

http://www.seat61.com/Laos.htm#.UpM7WdKpUvY

Nong Khai sits right on the Meekong is a lovely, chilled border town. A great place to stay is The Mutmee...

http://www.mutmee.com/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g303915-d5508…

It's only a mile or so from the Friendship Bridge crossing into Laos, and then a 30 minute tuk tuk or taxi ride into the centre of Vientiane.

A couple of nights in Vientiane should be enough, and although the bus trip [4.5 hours or so] from Vientiane to Vang Vieng is mainly a featureless boring ride, the bus ride from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang [6 hours] makes up for it and passes through some glorious countryside.

Vang Vieng is well worth a couple of nights. Hire a push bike to get out into the countryside [but check it's fit for purpose first!].

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
125 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 3 week itinerary Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia

As a photography enthusiast who has been in Asia for the past year and a half I'd give more time to VV and less to SR.

SR is fine but it is well trodden and hard to get good photos as there's always inconsiderate tourists who will see your camera and try to copy what you are taking with their iPhones usually getting in the way. I use a 5d mark III and L lenses, its a nightmare. Some people will say that you can spend days in SR which is true.. Personally if I was in Asia for 3 weeks I'd allow 2/3 days max. I do not think there is much to discover as a photographer as it has been done to death. I met a guy who lives in SR and had some really amazing shots but he spent hundreds of hours there and knew where and when to go to get the right light!

Vang Vieng on the other hand is known for it's party scene but most people don't realise that there is a beautiful valley that is relatively easily accessible!

Take a look at some of my pics and feel free to pm me if I can help you.. Ive included an album from VV this year on my Facebook..

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilkavanagh/

Otres Beach in South Cambodia is a really nice area for photography. Theres a really nice sunset every evening..

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 3 week itinerary Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia

I'd allow at least 3 full days for Siem Reap in order to see the temples. You can see better markets in other towns.

Vang Vieng is no longer a "party scene", all those seedy bars have been shut down and the party crowd is sticking to the full moon parties in Thailand (thank gawd for that!). I adore the magnificent scenery in Vang Vieng and think that 2 full days is enough fo the OP to see the sights, especially since he has a pretty full schedule & plans to see a lot of other places.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 3 week itinerary Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia

if you want to see a temple complex without all the tourists while in SR, you could get a car and driver for half a day and go down to Bang Melea ( spelling ? ) about 90 mins south of SR. It was only opened up ( read: mines cleared ) about 7 years ago and is not on many itineraries - a jungle temple in a similar state of repair to Ta Prohm although subtly different.

You know its little explored because the local children haven't learned to beg from tourists yet. On the left side of the road connecting the temple to the national highway is a clearly marked live minefield.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 3 week itinerary Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia

Beng Mealea? When were you last there? That place is now swarming with tourists and it is on most visitors' itineraries. Go at noon when people are busy eating lunch.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 3 week itinerary Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia

I think your itinerary is starting to shape up nicely. Just a thought - although I love Luang Prabang, I think it would be good to make it 3 nights and add the extra day onto Battambang. Only one night there and you wouldn't have any time to see anything and there is certainly a lot to see in this lovely little place.

Have you arranged accommodation in LP yet? We've stayed at a wonderful little guest house each time we've been and absolutely love it. If you ask for a room upstairs at the front of the house you can sit in front of the big window and watch the river traffic go by. If you'd like more info on it, please send me a PM. We also found an absolutely terrific little boutique hotel in Battambang which I'd be happy to share with you.

Is Vietnam airways cheaper than Lao Airlines from LP to SR? Also do they fly direct or stop over in Pakse as Lao does? Just curious because I'd look at that for our next trip if it looks better.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 3 week itinerary Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia

travelcat - Why not share these special places with the rest of us, just like most of us do anyway?

20. Re: 3 week itinerary Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2013, 12:14