We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days itinerary help

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
7 days itinerary help

Hi, I will be traveling to Cambodia for one week. Arriving in Siem Reap and departing from phnom penh. Would live to see beautiful beaches, ie, koh rong.

3 days 4 nights ( arriving 345 pm) siem reap and surrounding areas.

beach like koh rong 2days

2 days in phnom penh

is this possible?

any suggestions would be appreciated.

thank you,

kaylin

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,440 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days itinerary help

you can fly from SR to S'ville for the islands .. otherwise you should factor in a VERY long day for this travel leg .. it's 6hrs from SR to PP and then another 4 from PP to S'ville then to the islands... assuming all travel connections work in your favour - otherwise you may have to o'nite enroute in PP or S'ville

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days itinerary help

I'd break up the SR~beach route with a night in Phnom Penh. If you take an early morning bus (opt for a mini-van if you can, they are faster!) you can arrive in Phnom Penh in the mid-afternoon and can still see some of the sights that day.

Don't expect white sand beaches in Cambodia, they are mediocre at best but if beachtime is what you need, I imagine they will suffice. It is only 4 1/2 hours to Sihanoukville. Spend 2 nights there then head back up to Phnom Penh to see the sights & fly home.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days itinerary help

Hi Maneki-neko,

Is Koh Rong worth it? I've been to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world including the Virgin Islands and Hawaii. So not worth it? I wanted to show my in-laws some beautiful parts of Cambodia. Would Sihanoukville suffice or take the journey to Koh Rong? I heard Sikhanoukville isn't all that either. Appreciate your help.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days itinerary help

We have 6 people in the party. Would like efficiency but afraid of the cost. Will look into that. Thank you.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days itinerary help

Beaches in Cambodia are NOTHING like the US Virgin Islands or Hawaii (I have been there numerous times), and Sihanoukville is getting seedier by the year. I'd say skip the beach and take in a little more culture & history while you're there. Battambang is worth a couple of days, it is not far from Siem Reap. Why not check that out? You could see the sights of Siem Reap first, then head to Battambang (3.5 hours or so by bus), then after that to Phnom Penh (4 hours by bus). Buses are super-cheap and you can get very comfortable guesthouses for $15 or even less for a double room.

What month do you plan on visiting?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days itinerary help

HI Maneki-neko,

We are going in April. My parents are actually originally from Cambodia. They recommended Koh Ko. I haven't found it in the forums. I came across koh rong. We are heading to Bali after Phnom Penh. We will be traveling with my parents, in-laws, and my husband who is Taiwanese.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days itinerary help

If you will be heading to Bali then don't even bother with the beaches in Cambodia.

April will be the hotest month, incidentally, absolutely sweltering at that time of year. The heat seems to keep the hordes of tourists away, so you won't see as many big crowds at the temples.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days itinerary help

Appreciate your help. Thank you, Kaylin.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 days itinerary help

Hi,

I agree that with just seven days in Cambodia trying to fit in beach time in the country just isn't really worth it. Logistically even if you take the quick flight down to Sihanoukville you'd still need to spend a night there as the flight arrives after the ferries leave for the islands, so your two day beach break becomes three. You could take a night bus from Siem Reap which would get you to Sihanoukville in time to get out to the islands the same day but many would not recommend using these services on safety grounds.

Unlike the other posters I have been to both the Rong islands and I can tell you that the beaches are a match for many of the beaches in Thailand with white powder sand and clear sea conditions, and unlike in Thailand they are largely unspoilt, although that does mean that infrastructure is basic. Still, with only a week in Cambodia and then on to Bali I would spend the time between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh.

Cheers

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 days itinerary help

Hi, thank you for your honest reply. It seems like there are many places to see in Cambodia. I will probably have to take another longer trip in the future.