We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bar called Zanzibar in Siem Reap

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Topic
A bar called Zanzibar in Siem Reap

Is it still open & is there a hotel next door

Was there 12 years ago and bar/hotel were there

but things do change

Thanks for heads up

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,872 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A bar called Zanzibar in Siem Reap

I well remember the Zanzibar.

It was just down from the original Bakong hotel owned and run by Mrs OUk Chamroen and family and who now run the Palms Villas if my memory serves me correctly.

Both the Zanzibar and the original Bakong Hotel have long gone. However, the family still own, as far as I am aware, the remnants of the Bakong which still operate under that name but is no longer run by the family but by leasees. Unfortunately, the forecourt of the original Bakong became a minimart and the downstairs of the original Bakong is a pool parlour.

Is this the place you were thinking of?

If you've not been back to Siem Reap in 12 years you simply will not know the place.

Best regards. Ian

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A bar called Zanzibar in Siem Reap

I was staying a few minutes walk from there , traveling with

2 Taffy, s (Welsh guys) & they had friends staying next door

to Zan z bar

We went to meet them is how I ended up there with a bevy

of young local ladys trying to corrupt my morals

Can you still get nmoto driver for the day to run you out

to and around Ankor---used to be $6 all day

5.45am to 6.15pm

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,872 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A bar called Zanzibar in Siem Reap

As a reasonable estimate, if it was $6 twelve years ago, just what do you think would be a fair and reasonable "fair go" rate today? Or are you seeking them to work the same desperate and exploitive hours for the same $6 bucks?

Desperate people do desperate things to survive but there is such a thing as the "Dignity of Man" and I do not for the life of me understand why tourists are so mean and exploitive as a generic class of people.

Rgds. Ian

San Jose, California
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A bar called Zanzibar in Siem Reap

Love the ruins....hate the town....most boring nightlife in all of Cambodia....except for this one little bar....love it. Pulled an all nighter there with the owners my last night in the country. Great talking, nice girls...maybe not the best in the world but probably the best this town. By far the worst pool table I ever saw in my life....but at 5 AM who cares. Hope it is still there....things come and go all the time.

San Jose, California
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A bar called Zanzibar in Siem Reap

Love the ruins....hate the town....most boring nightlife in all of Cambodia....except for this one little bar....love it. Pulled an all nighter there with the owners my last night in the country. Great talking, nice girls...maybe not the best in the world but probably the best this town. By far the worst pool table I ever saw in my life....but at 5 AM who cares. Hope it is still there....things come and go all the time.

6. Re: A bar called Zanzibar in Siem Reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 21:16