We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please critique this Cambodia itinerary - 12 nts July

Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Please critique this Cambodia itinerary - 12 nts July

Hello, we are planning a Thai/Cambodian trip and we will be spending 12 nights in Cambodia.

The rough itinerary is: Phnom Penh 3 nights including international flight day, bus travel to S'ville for 2 nights then bus from S'ville to Kep or Kampot for 3 nights - then 1 day travel from Kep to Siem Reap arriving SR in the evening I'm presuming, and then we have 3 days exploring SR. The next day flying to Thai Islands. Does this sound ok and not too rushed? I think the beach in S'ville will be pretty ordinary this time of year which is why we thought 2 days would be enough. Does anyone have any idea on which beach to stay... flashpacker budget - hoping to get somewhere for around $60/night for 3 of us, - but not wanting a 4 star hotel/high rise (not sure if they even exist in S'ville, but prefer bungalow style accom.

Also - we are two families (7 persons) travelling, would it be best to get private taxi from Kep to Siem Reap and any ideas on how many hours from Kep to SR.

Thanks so much for your ideas ... fellow travellers!

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions .

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,659 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please critique this Cambodia itinerary - 12 nts July

Kep to Siem Reap (assuming your connectons 'connect') will be somewhere in the order of 10+ hours. Bus from Kep to PP can be anywhere from 3-5 hours depending on a) the company and b) whether the driver is also stopping to pick up/put down passengers/groceries/motorbile parts etc. PP to SR is scheduled for 6 hours but recent reports suggest anywhere 7+ is more realistic given the current poor state of the roads. Taxis in Cambodia are generally toyota Camrys - and boot space os often limited because half of it is taken up with an LPG tank you'd need two of them. YOu could consider a 4WD but even then you may struggle to fit everyone and all your luggage.

Another option you could investivate is travelling to Kep first, then moving up to S'ville and flying from there to SR.

cheers

helen

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
58 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please critique this Cambodia itinerary - 12 nts July

I'd say cut your nights in Phnom Penh and Kep/Kampot to 1-2 night each and add-on more to Angkor Wat. There's much more to see and places to enjoy in Siem Reap.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please critique this Cambodia itinerary - 12 nts July

Depends on what type of person you are. As you are going to the Thai islands, I don't see much point in going to the beach in Cambodia as well. I would rather add that time to Siem Reap. But, that is me.

It also cuts down the bus rides. From my experience, Cambodian buses always leave late. Out worst was 2 hours late. They leave the bus station, turn 2 corners and then stop. Here, they load rice bags etc. this can take 10-15 minutes. It is now 1/2 hour after the bus was scheduled to leave and you have only gone 1 block. Cambodian bus rides are an experience, not to be missed, but not one you want to repeat too often.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please critique this Cambodia itinerary - 12 nts July

I think lamlee's suggestion about skipping Sihanoukville is a good one.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please critique this Cambodia itinerary - 12 nts July

If you are going to Thai islands afterwards I would definitely skip Sihanoukville as well and add more time to SR or add Battambang instead

Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please critique this Cambodia itinerary - 12 nts July

Thanks Helen, that's great advice and just what I'm looking for. Appreciate your reply and thanks again.. it sounds like a better plan of attack.

Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please critique this Cambodia itinerary - 12 nts July

Thanks for your post of information. We have internal flights booked to arrive on 1 July and our friends fly in on 2 July so I guess we could maybe cut down on one day there. we are huge beach goers and while we do have about 10 days total in Phuket and Koh Samui, I would really like to at least checkout S'ville. Sounds like the buses could be a bit of an experience. Are you aware of any bus companies that you would prefer to use. Thanks again for your reply.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,659 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please critique this Cambodia itinerary - 12 nts July

In order of preference (and obviously depending on availability on various routes) Giant Ibis, Mekong Express, (possibly) Capitol then Sorya ... and a country mile to Paramount.

check out the link in top questions on bus travel (dot point 17 upper right)

9. Re: Please critique this Cambodia itinerary - 12 nts July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:19