We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a private taxi from Siem Reap to Silhanoukville

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
30 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic

We want to go from Siem Reap to Silhanoukville (or Kep, as it seems like a better alternative).

From what I understand reading a bit here in the forums is that most prefer busses, but there are a few reasons my mother and I would like to use a private taxi instead:

-More comfortable

-We can actually stop over where we want and discover a few places, where tourists usually don't go.

-We hope we can bribe the driver to drive more carefully and slowly, by giving him a bonus in the end if he complies to do so. (this worked in Laos).

It's kinda weird though that I didn't find any infos about private taxis for this route (Siem Reap to Silhanoukville). How much would this usually cost? How many hours of driving? (from what I saw, around 8-10 hours)

Happy Angkor Tour
Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Asean Angkor Guide
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Angkor Guide Sam
Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Pin Vannak - Private Tours
Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,018 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a private taxi from Siem Reap to Silhanoukville

Please see a few observations +++ inserted +++ in to your OP text below:

LeonTLV

Tel Aviv, Israel

today, 5:54

We want to go from Siem Reap to Silhanoukville (or Kep, as it seems like a better alternative).

From what I understand reading a bit here in the forums is that most prefer busses, but there are a few reasons my mother and I would like to use a private taxi instead:

+++ Once you see the poor state of the roads in Cambodia and the even worse state of the drivers, you will understand why "Size Matters" in Cambodian and why buses, at least the better bus companies, are far safer and more survivable in the event of a crash, than are light vehicles such as cars and vans.+++

-More comfortable +++ Debatable, depending upon make, age and condition of the vehicle you hire+++

-We can actually stop over where we want and discover a few places, where tourists usually don't go. +++ So where are you planning to stop on this very long drive? +++

-We hope we can bribe the driver to drive more carefully and slowly, by giving him a bonus in the end if he complies to do so. (this worked in Laos). +++ Why on earth "Bribe" a driver? Why not engage the services of a good driver in the first place? +++

It's kinda weird though that I didn't find any infos about private taxis for this route (Siem Reap to Silhanoukville). How much would this usually cost? How many hours of driving? (from what I saw, around 8-10 hours) +++ Nothing weird about this at all because very few travellers familiar with Cambodia would contemplate such a drive even though some on this forum have done so - but this does not mean that it is to be recommended. +++ +++ In addition to which, it is circa nine (9) hours point to point without driver rest stops, your comfort stops or meal breaks. In the interests of safety, please consider breaking your journey overnight in Phnom Penh. It's currently only a three (3) hour safe drive from Phnom Penh to Kep via Kampot. +++ As for wether to go to Sihanoukville or to Kep this is a very personal question. Frankly, even after many visits there SHV does nothing for me but it is horses for courses as they say. Other posters rave about SHV. +++

Best regards. Ian

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a private taxi from Siem Reap to Silhanoukville

Fly

You will simply not have any time at all to stop anywhere on your journey, except at comfort stops. Travelling on the main National Road between SR and PP, you are definitely not going to go where no tourist has been before.

If you want to see the countryside, hire a car and driver and do day trips out from Siem Reap.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,441 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a private taxi from Siem Reap to Silhanoukville

Seems barmy to drive for 12 hours or so in a taxi, instead of catching a 1 hr flight

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking a private taxi from Siem Reap to Silhanoukville

I booked the flight, a little over$100.private car will cost you almost the same. And sitting in a car for that long.?????

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
338 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking a private taxi from Siem Reap to Silhanoukville

I am one of the minority here that would choose a private car. But unless you're going to break your journey up, you're not going to get to stop off much along the way apart from comfort breaks as it's such a long trip. You can indeed ask your driver to go slower, but that will then add time to your journey, leaving you even less time to see anything thus losing your advantage.

If you stop over in PP it might be worth it. We've previously hired a car to take us to PP to SR with an overnight stop in Battambang, we found this convenient as it included all our 'in-town' trips in Battambang (going to dinner, visiting some other places around town). So you could consider hiring a driver for your whole trip and include an overnight stop in PP.

6. Re: Taking a private taxi from Siem Reap to Silhanoukville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:19