We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pay for Cambodian Visa in Vietnamese Dong?

Stade, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Pay for Cambodian Visa in Vietnamese Dong?

Hi there,

does anyone know if it is possible to pay for the cambodian visa in Vietnamese Dong? I`m using the Vietnam / Cambodia border crossing and I`ve heard you can only pay in USD. The problem is that I`m in Ho Chi Minh right now and none of the currency exchange places seem to sell USD, they only change USD into Dong and not the other way around. I've heard international banks do it, but I`m on a tour tomorrow and I`m leaving early sunday for Cambodia.

I`t would be great if someone knew..

Cheers

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pay for Cambodian Visa in Vietnamese Dong?

we paid aussie dollars in Vietnam as we didnt have enough US $ (it had gone up when we were travelling).

Get rid of the Dong though, spending at the airport if you have to cos it's useless and not even accepted on the plane so I doubt you could pay in that..

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,861 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pay for Cambodian Visa in Vietnamese Dong?

For Cambodia the requirement is to pay in USD$ so try not to fight the requirement and come prepared. After all, USD$ is the currency of Cambodia as the Cambodian Riel = KHR - is a non-convertible currency and worthless outside Cambodia.

The Immigration staff are under no obligation to accept any other currency than USD$.

But if they do so they will take advantage of you as to the exchange rate they decide to apply and you will have no cause for complaint or recourse against them.

Also, so as to avoid any potential delays etc, please try to have exact money in USD$ for your KH Visa.

Best regards. Ian

Stade, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pay for Cambodian Visa in Vietnamese Dong?

Ian, thanks for your advice.

Just came back from the mekong express office and they reakon you can also pay for the visa in dong. 550000 they say. Just to be on the safe side I tried to change into USD and was able to at the first currency exchange. I was just a little worried I wasn`t going to be able to get USD because the currency exchange places at the arrival hall of the airport wouldn`t do it and I read somewhere online that you can only change into USD at banks and today they are closed...

Well, luckily everything worked out. Cheers.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,861 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pay for Cambodian Visa in Vietnamese Dong?

My point is made.

At the official rate of exchange, someone is making a small profit on that transaction.

Small, I grant you, but it is not going in to consolidated revenue!

Nor will it be shown on the official receipts for the day.

Best regards.

Mornington Peninsula
Level Contributor
71 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pay for Cambodian Visa in Vietnamese Dong?

Hi everyone

Just wondering if AU$ can be exchanged for U$ in Cambodia (if I run short of US$ it would save me making ATM withdrawal).

Thanks

Carol

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,861 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pay for Cambodian Visa in Vietnamese Dong?

Hello Carol B,

Yes, the major money changers are only too happy to exchange clean AUD$ notes as after the USD$ it is a very stable, in relative terms, currency and easily traded or converted at any time.

But just remember, the money changers are mostly interested in the higher denomination notes such as AUD$100 and AUD$50 and tend to give a very slightly better rate for "big notes" as they say.

But before changing any money with any money changer please spend a few minutes shopping around and testing the market by comparing rates on offer with different money changers. The "spread" difference may sound small but if exchanging a couple of hundred AUD$ it is worthwhile extra money in your pocket rather than the money changer's.

Best regards. Ian

Phnom Penh

Mornington Peninsula
Level Contributor
71 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pay for Cambodian Visa in Vietnamese Dong?

Hi Ian

That is excellent information, as well as great advice to which I will adhere on all points. What would this forum be without you <g> ??

Best regards

Carol

Queensland...
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pay for Cambodian Visa in Vietnamese Dong?

Hi Ian, we are travelling to Cambodia, Vietnam and Indonesia and usually travel with australian $50/$100 notes. So is it ok to travel with these and exchange at money changer, or better to change in australian to Us$ in oz before we go? I read that US $ seem to mainly used. But in Indonesian I always use the Australian $. Don't want to have to rake up big ATMs. Also is the eftpos commonwealth saving cards used in these countries or just master cards. Sorry for questions, just want to make it the easiest and cost effective way, thanks Tracy

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,793 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pay for Cambodian Visa in Vietnamese Dong?

Hi Tracy

as long as you have your USD for the visa, there is nothing to be gained changing money before you go - the exchange rate here at the moment is awful.

As long as your ATM card is either visa or cirus linked you will have no trouble using the ATMs in Cambodia although not every machine accepts cirus linked cards. I have used cards from the Teachers Credit Union/Mutual bank, NAB and ING without any problem in both Cambodia and Vietnam. Don't forget to notify your bank of your travel plans so they don't block your card thinking it is being used fraudulently

cheers

helen

Queensland...
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pay for Cambodian Visa in Vietnamese Dong?

Hi Helen, I don't have visa only MasterCard, use a commonwealth saving I did notice a lot of hotels use visa and Euro MasterCard. What is the limit you can withdraw in one transaction from an atm please. Thanks