We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Channa's Home Stay in Siem Reap

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Channa's Home Stay in Siem Reap

My husband and I booked our home stay at Channa's Angkor Homestay 6 months in advance. Three days prior to our arrival, having confirmed our arrival date the week before, we received an email that our reservation could not be honored because they had double booked. We were very upset and disappointed. This was a big problem as it was December 23 and all the hotels and hostels were booked for the holidays.

The only bright spot was that our deposit,which was the entire cost of our stay, (prepaid 6 months in advance) was returned.

I suggest that this was very objectionable business practice.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Channa's Home Stay in Siem Reap

The more proper place for that posting is as a review of the property.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Channa's Home Stay in Siem Reap

I agree but Tripadvisor wouldn't let me post it as a "review" because I had not actually stayed there.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Channa's Home Stay in Siem Reap

Well, say you stayed there, then in the explanation, say you actually didn't. This forum post will get lost. The review affects their rating and will be read by more people.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Channa's Home Stay in Siem Reap

Use your intended date of stay as date of stay and proceed as lamlee says

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Channa's Home Stay in Siem Reap

I agree. I posted a review about a restaurant that I actually didn't eat at because the service was so poor.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Channa's Home Stay in Siem Reap

First, it was highly unfortunate, but there was no scam involved since the money was refunded. It seems to me that the double booking was probably not a deliberate practice. I am quite surprised at posters suggesting that OP fraudulently claim to have stayed there, especially Lenny who is generally a calm voice of reason in a sea of emotional cacophony. By claiming to have stayed there you will be entitled to rate various facets, such as sleep quality, etc. which you will NOT have experienced. Too frequently here reviews which purport to be warnings turn into vengeful vendettas. May all of your problems be so big. It was inconvenient, but it was Christmas time and no room at the inn(s), but you didn't sleep in the stable I'll bet.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 01:22
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Channa's Home Stay in Siem Reap

Just as I thought all of the politically correct posters here are not above a little malice and lying to circumvent the review rules. Shameful

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Channa's Home Stay in Siem Reap

Chann,

First of all thank you for your kind words. What you further write has led me to review and to re-evaluate the discussion through other eyes. And in particular to share my own thought process in contributing the comments I placed.

First its very important to stress, especially for readers who stumble upon the thread, that I for one did not think and hopefully did not convey that I thought there was any element of scam involved on the part of the homestay. As the OP stated and Chann recalls, the money was refunded in full and I assume without question or delay.

Second, given that a couple staying at this homestay has only one suitable room at their disposal (the other two rooms are singles), a last minute problem due to a double booking is disastrous as the homestay has no other suitable rooms to offer. And given that the OP had booked six months in advance and had reconfirmed a week before arriving only to hear a few days later that there was a double booking, well this seems like legitimate information to share with others who may be considering staying there. Not as a statement to not stay there but as a warning to be very clear and perhaps even explicit to check and double check that there is no previous booking that may have been overlooked. One can only hope, and without knowing otherwise I certainly give the benefit of the doubt, that the double booking in this case was due to a previous booking that was lost in the administration and not a better booking that came along later (not an entirely unheard of phenomenon in the hospitality business around the world).

Third, its important to know that when filling in a review, it is not obligatory to rate the aspects that can only be rated by someone who has actually stayed there. Those are optional and can be left blank as are those aspects that don't apply, for example if there is no pool one leaves that blank (From the TA review form: "Could you say a little more about it? (optional): Click to select a rating; Service, Value, Sleep Quality", etc.)

I assume the OP would make it very clear in their review that they were not able to stay there and were writing to share their unhappy experience about the last minute cancellation due to a double booking after booking six months in advance, perhaps with the advice to others to confirm and reconfirm well in advance just to avoid any chance of a very last minute surprise due to an overlooked previous booking. Something along the lines of: "I did not rate the aspects of the hotel because I was not able to stay there. But the last minute cancellation six months after booking due to an overlooked double booking is information that I think other people who are considering staying here should know so they can reconfirm their booking several times before they arrive to make sure." This I personally would find to be a legitimate and even helpful review if I had my heart set on staying at what looks to be a beautiful homestay facility and experience.

Fourth, in my experience posting reviews, it seems that the reviews are screened by TA before being posted so if this was not an appropriate use of their review facility the review would not be published.

So finally, although I appreciate Chann's challenging the thinking going on here, especially my own, I take exception to the comment regarding malice and lying as neither of those apply, at least not to my thought process or suggested action.

Peace out :)

Edited: 22 January 2014, 12:08
Greater Adelaide...
Level Contributor
977 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Channa's Home Stay in Siem Reap

I agree.

The review is intended as being a reflection on a user's experience with a particular business. That the OP intended to stay at the homestay is obvious. The OP's unable to do so was clearly due to the owners of the business, and this failure, after the confirmations given the week prior, was a clear failing on the business' part. I would treat this in the same category as if someone had booked for a room, walked in and found the place disgusting, asked for a refund, then walked out. In such a case, the customer would still be entitled to submit a review, as that review would be a reflection of his or her experiences.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Channa's Home Stay in Siem Reap

Lenny wrote, "First its very important to stress, especially for readers who stumble upon the thread, that I for one did not think and hopefully did not convey that I thought there was any element of scam involved on the part of the homestay." Well, I never thought that and I don't want to drag out the disagreement beyond the bounds of patience, but I still think that reviews should be limited to people who actually stay there regardless of the unfortunate circumstances surrounding the cancellation. There are enough problems with the reviews already. So, enjoy your trip everyone and may all your problems be as big as a double booked reservation.