We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Battambang Tailors

UK
Level Contributor
199 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Battambang Tailors

Hi, We will be in Battambang for 7 days in March and my wife would like to have 2 or 3 pairs of lightweight city shorts made while we are there. Can anyone recommend a tailors that is reasonable/good on quality. Thanks for reading and any advice. Uniblue

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,859 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Battambang Tailors

I spend a lot of time in Battambang and do not regard it as a place in which to get any western-style clothing made.

But with seven days available and time for a fitting or two anything is possible.

Will you be bringing your own cloth?

Otherwise only a limited selection of textiles available in BTB.

Best regards.Ian

UK
Level Contributor
199 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Battambang Tailors

Thanks for the reply Ian. We will not be bringing any cloth from the UK. My wife can not find the style that she wants in a lightweight material so we thought that maybe Battambang could be a place to get some made (copied from an existing pair). We move on after Battambang to Phnom Penh, Kampot/Kep, Kompong Cham before crossing into Vietnam for 4 weeks. I suppose that she could get them made later in the trip but Battambang would be good. Thanks once again for your help.Uniblue

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,859 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Battambang Tailors

Generally speaking, Cambodia is not regarded as a place for western male tailoring or for female dressmaking. Although there are a few exceptions.

For female tailoring/dressmaking for those with some time available to them, very good work and copy work can be had from the Tailoring and Dressmaking School run by the LHA - Life Hope Association - at Wat Bo in Siem Reap only a few minutes walk from Psar Chas/Old market in the centre of town. But you do need time for measuring and fittings etc as this is a training institution and not an all night tailoring sweat shop. This is a win-win situation as you get well made to measure clothing and the students, all young females from disadvantaged backgrounds undertaking this full time, residential, ten month long course, working under the direct supervision of the Tailoring instructors get the practice.

For male shirts, I use an old, 73 or 74 year old French trained, Vietnamese-Cambodian tailor and cutter in Phnom Penh, Mr Cung. But here again, you need time as he and his small staff are more than busy with orders in progress from local Cambodians and expats. However, Mr Cung speaks Vietnamese, Khmer and French but not English but this is not a problem as you just take someone along with you to his shop.

Best regards. Ian

UK
Level Contributor
199 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Battambang Tailors

Thanks again Ian but we are not going to Siem Reap on this trip. We have been about 8 years ago and this time would like to see a different part of Cambodia. Thank You for taking the trouble to reply. Uniblue

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Battambang Tailors

I wouldn't bother. Unless you have more than several days there and are willing to go back for multiple fittings, it wouldn't be worth it. Spend your time seeing the numerous attractions in and around Battambang instead. Vietnam has some fantastic tailors, get your items made there.

6. Re: Battambang Tailors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 05:18