We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

route

europe
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Topic
route

hi

i was planning my june holiday from BKK to cambodia::::

fly from bkk to PP then bus down to soukenville then fly up to sean reap

then fly back to BKK onto pataya

ive got a month so no rush

OR

would you fly from BKK to sean reap, then bus to PP then bus to soukinvile,

then bus to pattaya ?????????????

ant suggestions please

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,795 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: route

"I've got a month" .. is that a month for the whole trip or a month in Cambodia?

europe
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: route

hi

well i was planning 4 nights in PP

5 nights in SK

and 4 nights in SR

the rest in thailand

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: route

Your first route is the easy one for someone who does not care for adventure. Flying back into Thailand should also provide you with a 30-day visa exemption while only G7 country passport holders get 30 days while crossing a land border. The bus ride will use most of one day, likewise the flights to/from Thailand.

Most people would budget more time for Siem Reap than Phnom Penh unless their only interest is in the nightlife.

Your second route with an overland trip from Sihanoukville to Thailand is also quite feasible and a bit more adventurous. You could also take the very cheap train from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet, stay there overnight, cross the border when it opens and then continue to Siem Reap. If you enter Thailand overland, you could consider stopping at Ko Chang and/or Ko Samet for a more chilled beach experience than what Pattaya offers.

http://www.wikitravel.org provides information on the various transport options between the towns and islands. However, you need to spell the names correctly to be able to find anything. (However, there are people who feel that SoukInVile is a quite appropriate label for Sihanoukville.)

Greater Adelaide...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: route

Based on your comments so far, here's a rough idea of what I'd suggest ...

Fly BKK -> Siem Reap, get the 3-day pass the evening of your arrival (try to arrive around lunchtime or early afternoon. See the sunset on your 1st night, then 3 days of temples. You've got plenty of time, so 1 more day for prasat preah vihear and prasat koh keh. Also worth another day for beng mealea and phnom kulen. That makes it 6 nights in siem reap. Bus down to phnom penh, eats up a day, so call that night 7. 1 day for toul sleng and choung ek, 1 day for palace, silver pagoda and national museum, 1 day for shopping and markets. Also worth spending 1 more day for phnom oudong. That brings you up to night #11. Bus down to sihanoukville, get an early mourning bus out to make the best use of your time. 1st night to get settles in and bum around the beach, next day for islands and waterfall, day after that for a day-tip to bokor, kampot, and caves. We're now at night #14. Bus sihanoukville to koh kong, 1 night to explore around the town and get organized, the next day to the mangroves.Night #16 now. From Koh kong, you can take a bus across the border into thailand, there will be thai connections to pattaya from the thai side of the border.

At this point, you will have 2 weeks left for thailand. If you're set on visiting pattaya, 3 nights are plenty. Beaches in pattaya aren't all that special anymore these days, like the poster above said. Most people seem to be visiting pattaya for the nightlife, and that's a bit over-rated too, tbh. 3 nights in either ko chang or ko samet for beach-bumming and diving, personally I prefer ko samet out of the 2. Then a bus onto BKK, leaving you with a just over a week there.

If time and funds permit, you could spend 4 nights in BKK, then fly up to chiang mai, and spend 3-4 nights up there.

As you can see, a month really isn't that long for even just the highlights of cambodia + thailand ...

europe
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: route

thank you Alan

Ive now changed my plans and dpoing exactly what you sugest, i was looking at that route but was little worried about all the busses i had to take. But you made it sound so easy

thank you again

Greater Adelaide...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: route

buses in cambodia are easy to get around on, as long as you don't plan for too much else that day ...

enjoy the trip, mate.

Cheers,

~Andrew.

7. Re: route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:16