We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am a little confused and concerned now.....

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
I am a little confused and concerned now.....

I am finding Cambodia more difficult than any other place we have travelled to, to research due to the distance between places and hotels not getting back to me.

We (3 of us) had planned to fly to Phnom Penh for 3 nights then drive to Battembang for 2 nights, then drive to Siem Reap for 4 nights.

Then fly to Sihanoukville for 2 nights, driving back to Phnom Penh for a final night before flying out.

So 4 places, bit of a loop and 12 nights.

I also looked at the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap.

However the more I research the more I am reading about the dreadful roads and so many accidents on both buses and cars and how unsafe the ferry is..

We were going to take private drivers and the ferry.

We are travelling end of December early January.

I am bewildered that only 2 hotel have gotten back to me too.

So for 12 days in Cambodia...

1/ What are peoples thoughts on where to visit? and

2/ What are peoples thoughts on how to get around? and

3/ How did you all book your hotels, direct or through a booking agent? (one hotel wanted credit card details to secure and wouldn't budge so I didn't book).

We have seen a lot of Asia and have experienced the manic drivers in Vietnam and Bali however have not been faced with like 6 hour drives. This is proving difficult. Any help appreciated.

We want to be safe but we only have 12 nights and travel middle of the road.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am a little confused and concerned now.....

That is sad that hotel are not getting back to you! But your plan is a reasonable one, were you going to fly between SR Sihanoukville?

December is them high season, so depending in the accommodations you are looking at, you need to book early.

There are some great private drivers put there that are very very safe, I can private message you if you need. Bus travel is always hit and miss, check out Giant Ibis, they have a good reputation.

My fav accommodations are Hotel 252 in PP, GOLDEN temple Villa or Hotel in SR. Can't help with Sihanoukville, but pretty sure someone else could.

www.canbypublications.com if you haven't already come across them! Please feel free to message me if you need any help.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am a little confused and concerned now.....

Thanks Ann, Yes that's why I am concerned that I am not getting responses, as it's high season.

I know by messaging you and another friend that I could get names of safe drivers....but from the sounds of things it's the roads that are so unsafe....hence me wondering now wether or not to fly to each place or to cut the places down.....

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
90 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am a little confused and concerned now.....

I travel around Cambodia alot, never hv any problems. I book & stay at hostels & travel by bus. The roads arent that bad, been on worse. There are some excellent guest houses u can book thru Hostelworld & get immediate confirmations on 10% deposit. And they are generally very helpful when u get there with transfers & transport. Your itinerary looks good.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am a little confused and concerned now.....

The roads are pretty good, main roads anyway! We mostly travel from Kampot to PP via Private driver who is very safe and also with Sam ( Sam the man) to various other locations in Cambodia. I have only really had one very bad bus trip where I was concerned and that was due to the driver, l have been to Cambodia several times.

It's a risk we take in Asia, Cambodia and our own countries, l honestly do not find Cambodia any worse than any other countries! Please try not too worry, you will forget these worries once you get there!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,300 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am a little confused and concerned now.....

Is there a reason why you're contacting hotels directly, instead of using booking.com, agoda etc ?.

I always book through one of the above wherever I travel, including Cambodia which I visited for the 1st time earlier this year

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am a little confused and concerned now.....

In general I try and encourage people to do as the OP is trying to do, which is to contact the hotels directly ESPECIALLY if you are dealing with a smaller type independent or local owned hotel or guesthouse. They work hard to make a profit and appreciate not having to pay the commission to the Agodas and Booking dot coms, etc. If one has no choice or doesn't get replies or is interested in large international chains or those mostly foreign owned behemoths that line National Road 6 then that is a different story.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am a little confused and concerned now.....

We visited for our first time last December and found it easy to move around. We flew PP to SR, SR to Sihanoukville, Sihanoukville to Kampot by road about 45 minutes, Kampot to Kep by road around 30 minutes and Kep to PP by road, took 3 hours.

We booked all of our hotels directly and reserved with a CC, with no issues. I confirmed all our accommodation one week before leaving the UK.

We missed out Battambang on our first trip to cut down on the travelling but it's on our list for this Xmas. Again for our forthcoming trip I have booked all hotels directly without any problems but we still gave CC to reserve.

Good luck with your planning.

X

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I am a little confused and concerned now.....

Many hotels, especially small ones, may never check their email. Give them a call or book online through a hotel site like Agoda.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am a little confused and concerned now.....

Hi, we are going to Cambodia in mid Jan for the third time and never had any issues with the hotels. We book direct, Golden Temple SR, Seng Hout Battambang, Hotel 252 in Phnom Penh and the Riki in Kampot. We have booked other hotels but this is the ones we have booked this time and have used them before. This time the 252 asked for a credit card so we gave them it but have never been asked before.. All answered promptly. We use the local buses and luckily not had any issues. Use the Giant Ibis or Mekong Express from SR to PP Not used the boat from SR to Battamban\g as water has always been a bit low and takes a long time. Used Sorya for the other trips. The distances are quite large and take a long time but an experience and interesting trip seeing the countryside and also interacting with the local people on the bus. Not been to Sihanoukville I am sure you will have a great trip. By the way, inmho Cambodia is nothing like Vietnam

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I am a little confused and concerned now.....

First of all, RELAX. Things will work out just fine. You are not the first person to travel around cambodia . I travel extensively by bus ,mini van, planes and have never had a problem or negative experience, or even a crazy driver. I stay at beach road hotel in sihanoukville. Central location, pool, clean rooms for a very reasonable price, many beautiful beaches and nice restaurants. In the area. As far as cambodia goes, there are many, I repeat many accomadations and you will not be stranded. If a hotel does not respond, simply use a booking site for instant confirmation. Put your mind at ease and enjoy your trip.