We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambodia plans

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cambodia plans

Hi guys, I plan to travel to Cambodia for ten night and am looking for advice as to where to go and how much or little to try and fit in. I would enjoy some beach time along with some history stuff.

I will be travelling along and have never been to asia before. Male age 34.

My plan so far:

Arrive Phnom Penh and spend three night in pre book accomadation

Travel to Sihanoukville (beach time) either bus or taxi stay in pre booked accomadation. Then maybe visit one of the island (koh rong island??)

Then back to Phnom Penh to return back to England.

I dont plan to book any accomdation after the forth night until im in Cambodia, is this a good idea?

Should I also try to visit Siem Reap or is this trying to fit in to much?

Should I try to do a little none tourist stuff?

Any advice would very much be appreicated

Eddie

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambodia plans

Edward-

Siem Reap is the main reason thousands of visitors annually visit Cambodia- to see the exquisite temples. From Phnom Penh head to Sihanoukville for 2 full days (at the MOST, the beaches are really not all that remarkable) then head to Siem Reap where you should be spending the majority of your vacation. 4 full days would allow you to see temples and a bit of the town. Allow 2 full days to see the sights in Phnom Penh.

nanette447
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambodia plans

Hi Edward

When are you planning to travel? We recently retuned from our 3rd trip to Cambodia, but 1st time to sihanoukville. We stayed at clearwater guest house (wonderful), near independence beach. Can't vouch for the other beaches, as we loved independence beach too much to look at the others!

You definitely need to include Siem Reap in your trip, the temples are unforgettable

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambodia plans

Thank you very much for you response Maneki-neko, I will now be including Siem Reap. What is the journey like from Sihanoukville to Siem Reap.

What would be your advice on booking accomadation, before the trip or during?

Edward

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambodia plans

Hi Nanette, thank you very much for your response. I plan to travel 5 or 6th of May this year so not long to plan. Thanks for your recommendation of the clear water guest house I will look into this.

Is the anything else you would advise doing? Did you travel from sihanoukville to Siem Reap?

Edward

nanette447
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cambodia plans

Hi Edward

We travelled to Sihanoukville from Phnom Pehn by Giant Ibis bus (very good), then from Sihanoukville to Kampot. If you haven't already booked flights, could be an idea to fly in to Siem Reap and out from Phnom Penh. To get from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville you need to go via Phnomh Pehn

Enjoy, Cambodia is wonderful!

nanette447
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambodia plans

Hi Edward

We travelled to Sihanoukville from Phnom Pehn by Giant Ibis bus (very good), then from Sihanoukville to Kampot. If you haven't already booked flights, could be an idea to fly in to Siem Reap and out from Phnom Penh. To get from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville you need to go via Phnomh Pehn

Enjoy, Cambodia is wonderful!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,436 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cambodia plans

you can fly from Sihanoukville to SR - with limited time this would be a better option because otherwise it entails returning to PP and then another bus from SR to PP. I wouldn't go on the night bus for any money.

Can you organise your flights so you fly into either PP or SR and out of the other - save backtracking.

Allow a min of 3 days in SR - form more info on the temples check out canbypublications.com/siemreap/srstarted.htm

and for more info on Cambodia in general (and really good for budget travel) have a look at www.travelfish.org

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cambodia plans

Thank you alll for your help, Ive booked my flights now looking at places to stay.

9. Re: Cambodia plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:16