We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus trip from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Bus trip from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

Hi everyone!

Could I ask people what is the latest news with the road between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh?

I am planning to take the Giant Ibis bus between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh but I have heard from various sources that the road is currently being repaired and as such the journey time is now around 8 hours and large sections of the road (1-2 hours of the journey) is extremely rough going.

Is it worth paying an extra 100 odd dollars to fly between SR and PP or are these horror stories being blown out of proportion?

My situation is that I dont mind paying extra for the flights nor am I in any rush to get to PP

Many thanks in advance

siem reap
Level Contributor
493 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus trip from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

I just got back home to Siem Reap yesterday from a 1000K trip.The roads are the worst I have seen them in 12 years.FLY!

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
484 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus trip from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

I did the return trip in the last week and concur, the roads are worst than ever.

OP your post made me laugh ' the road is currently being repaired'

Saw very little sign of actual repair work being done.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus trip from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

When I was on the road at the end of December, it appeared it was under construction, but maybe they were just pushing aournd gravel...

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus trip from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

Thank you everyone for your advice and responses. I have now decided to book a flight with Cambodia Angkor Air - tickets were $70pp one way.

5. Re: Bus trip from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 05:15