We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy season?

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Rainy season?

We like to go to Thailand and Cambodia end September, beginning October, is that a good idea or will we be rained out?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy season?

Uta while it might be wet I seriously doubt you will be rained out. When I visited a number of years ago in September there was often torrential downpour in the afternoon and then it cleared. Thunderstorms often occurred at night. Yes there might be local flooding but even when this has happened all the temples are still accessible.

The wet season is a lovely time to visit as everything is green. I have seen photos of places I visited during the dry season and it looks so dry and dusty. The other thing to remember is that even if it is rain it is warm rain. An umbrella or rain poncho will help.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy season?

September in Cambodia is beautiful, everything so green and lush but yes you may run the risk of flooding In Some areas, but having said that, in 2011 we had to wade through Siem Reap through flooded streets but as a tourist it did not stop us doing anything?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,083 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy season?

I sometimes choose to travel during rainy season and as others have attested, it's not raining all the time and the scenery is at its best as everything wil be green and growing. If you will be heading off the beaten path (i.e. traveling on unpaved roads) you may have some serious mud to contend with, and some roads may be impassible. Roads in main tourist areas are all paved, you wil be fine ther (unless it's flooded, as AnnG62 said above!). Bring a rain poncho and wear hiking sandals that you can wade around in.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy season?

I know that crocs are fashionably a No No, but we find them invaluable in the rain!!!

Greater Adelaide...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy season?

Is there a name for those springy platicky sandals the locals all seem to love? I love them too!! -- buy them pretty much in any market, about $1 for a pair, doesn't absorb any water, but doesn't rub or slip, and really comfy ...

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,806 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy season?

Our first visit was right at the end of September 2008 and we only had 2 nights with showers - other years (and other visitors - like AnnG) are not so lucky. You just have to take what mother nature throws at you.

We're just back from SR and they had some rain abut 10 days ago - things are starting to green up already - it's amazing how quickly it moves once there is some moisture on the ground.

Just leave the flip flops behind - the mud is sticky and will swallow them in a flash.

September is still my favourite time to visit - all green and lush

have a wonderful trip

cheers

helen

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainy season?

Thanks everybody,

that is what I thought about the weather, just needed some confirmation, now I have to do a lot of research.

8. Re: Rainy season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 06:15