We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tours

Hi, Does anyone know who operates the trailfinders tours for Angkor Wat ? I have had a quote from them and it seems very expensive and I was wondering if I could save money by booking more directly ? thanks guys. Emma.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,554 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours

What did it include and how much was it?

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours

Three days, angkor Thom, Angkor Wat Tonle sap lake Banteay Srey and landmine museum three nights at Tara Angkor hotel which I have priced at £80 including breakfast their price was £573 for one adult one child. Is that a bit steep or am I being mean ?!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours

going rates are:

3 day angkor pass $40US .. free for kids under 12 (bring passport as proof of age)

guide (if you want one) $30/day

transport - tuk tuk $20/day + a couple more $$ if you want sunrise or a/c toyota camry $30/day + for sunrise

much more to Angkor than just the temples you mention - see canbypublications.com/siemreap/srstarted.htm

cheers

helen

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,554 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours

I come to a much lower amount (around £300 plus minus) if one were to do it totally on a do-it-yourself (D-I-Y) basis:

* 3 nights Tara Angkor if you are going before Sept 30 when they have a deal rate of $60 - $66 p.n. for their regular room superior double or twin incl brekkie = $180 - $200

* 3 days car including 2 days touring temples including Banteay Srei (Landmine museum, etc) plus 1 day Tonle Sap (they are likely intending to take you to the floating villages at Chong Khneas I would imagine which is anyways a very bad idea unto itself but I am using that assumption to cost the transport by car) = $90

* I'm assuming you get a guide for 3 days = $90

* I'm assuming it includes your temple passes and that the child is above 12 yrs old = 2 x 3-day pass @ $40 each = $80

* I'm assuming it includes fees for tour of floating villages (not one hundred percent sure of current price but shouldn't be more than $20 each) = $40

Unless it includes a lot more that you haven't mentioned I come to around $500 plus minus which is around £300 according to my exchange calculator tonight.

You should expect to pay some "mark-up" when a tour agency takes all the guesswork and planning out of it versus a D-I-Y (which in Siem Reap is super easy by the way) but it seems a bit steep to me as well.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 22:45
Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours

Thank you so much this is very useful.

I was unsure about the floating villages part of the tour, why is this a bad idea? It isn't something I had in mind to do.

What would you recommend instead ? I have never been to Cambodia my daughter is 9 and I am anxious to have things arranged before I get there as we are travelling alone.

I thought that price was a bit much especially as I won't have to pay for my daughter in the temples.

Thanks again.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours

Not sure he is saying the stilted/ floating villages are a bad idea altogether, just know exactly where you are going. Read the thread "Kampong Phluk or Kampong Khleang" to understand - sorry can't link from mobile.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,554 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours

What TN said. There are places on the lake to visit which are a unique and good experience. Just not the floating villages at Chong Khneas which is where most standard package tours will take you. If you want, I wrote a 3-page article about visiting the lake which I will gladly email if you PM me your email address. There are several extensive threads here about it as well.

This one is a good place to start. Its the one referred to above and in there in one of the comments is a link to another one with more info and discussion. tripadvisor.com/…55869982

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours

Unfortunately booking directly with a travel agent, can be vastly more expensive than booking everything yourself, and people tend to do this because they don't know how to go about booking it themselves, or are worried about the process, or don't have the time to do it.

But, as its been shown, it can be well worth doing it yourself! When I first went, I looked at going on a full tour with several reputable companies, and was appalled that when I did a little digging around, that the amount it would cost for one person, could easily pay for 2 if not 3 of us if we did it independently.

Have a look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of the page, and come back and ask for ideas/ recommendations!

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours

Right have gone back to the details and they are suggesting Kampong Phluck, worth a visit?

I do like the sound of Banteay Srey though what are expels thought s on that?

Could any of you recommend a local touring company that you have used which you would recommend?

Many thanks guys this is my first visit to Cambodia and my first trip alone with my daughter so want to get it right and feel secure about it !

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours

Emma , there is no need to book anything through a 'tour company" ... your temple visits can easily be arranged through your hotel - they have a list of guides & drivers they use regularly and can match you with one that will be suitable. Hotels cannot afford to be using guides and/or drivers that upset their guests

Booking your own airfares & hotel online is really all you need to do before you arrive. - everything else can be sorted when you arrive and really takes no time at all. ..Don't try to micro-manage your trip - it will drive you nuts..look at doing the large circuit one day, the small another day and visiting Banteay Srei (absolutely beautiful) and one of the lake villages on the third.

You are going to find the heat & humidity quite taxing and your daughter will too - plan on spending a longish half day doing your temple visits then come back to your hotel for a swim & a beer/juice before heading out again late afternoon. The heat & humidity will turn even the most lovely child into a hot cranky monster and the only known cure is a swim and a cool drink

rather than Phnom Bakheng for sunset (it is totally a zoo - too many people & not enough space) check out www.angkorsunset.com and pick another spot that fits with your itinerary

cheers

helen