We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 months in Phom Penh with 2 kids (3 and 6)

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
6 months in Phom Penh with 2 kids (3 and 6)

Hi there, I have the opportunity to spend 6 months in Cambodia for work. I currently live in Sydney with my husband and 2 children aged 2 and 5. If we finalise this project the whole family would come with me for 6 months. It is a very exciting opportunity but I am also worried about the lifestyle there for the kids especially healthcare. Education is fine - they will probably go to the French school for 6 months (I am French originally).

My questions are:

- do we need to take Malaria pills for 6 months? We will be living in PP but would like to take the opportunity to spend some weekends away.

- what is the best prevention for Dengue in PP on a daily basis?

- Is there a good hospital? We will have private insurance.

- what about water? Is drinking water expensive?

I am also worried about landmines in country side. It seems that unfortunately for the local people the risk is still very high. is it still possible to go for a hike in country side if we stay on the path or too dangerous?

Thanks.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,026 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 months in Phom Penh with 2 kids (3 and 6)

These expat forum links may be of help to you ~ www.alloexpat.com/cambodia_expat_forum/

and

www.internations.org/cambodia-expats…

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 months in Phom Penh with 2 kids (3 and 6)

You do not need to take anti-malarials in Phnom Penh.

The best form of prevention for dengue is to avoid mosquito bites, so wear bug spray and long sleeves if possible (light fabrics of course). I find that people usually get a lot of bites their first week or two in the country and then they lose their appeal to mosquitoes, so be sure to cover up more at first.

Royal Rattanak is a good hospital, but many choose to get healthcare in Bangkok. Royal Rattanak is a Thai hospital and in emergencies they evacuate their patients to Bangkok.

You can buy 10 liter bottles of water for $1 ($5 deposit the first time for the bottle).

Landmines are not an issue if you stay on paths, but frankly I would not suggest hiking off-path with a 2-year-old anyway!

You can find other useful information for new expats on my site here: http://www.movetocambodia.com

Kampong Cham...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 months in Phom Penh with 2 kids (3 and 6)

This also might be of interest to you. Have a look at www.khmer440.com/chat_forum/viewtopic.php… Places to take the little ones.

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 months in Phom Penh with 2 kids (3 and 6)

Hi there, thanks for links and the information. I am trying to gather as much information as I can about working there and living there with young children.

The kids will be 3 and 6 at the time of departure. I must admit that although we have travelled a lot with them (Europe several times, Bali, Thailande, Singapore, Malaysia, Fiji x 2, NZ x 2) I wasn't planning to take the kids to Cambodia for a holiday thinking that they are too young and the healthcare facilities are not good enough. But may be living there is different?

I have researched a lot on the subject and life seems easy with kids there? Serviced apartment, international school, weekends away etc...I am now thinking that it could actually be an enjoyable experience for the little ones as well or is it just a wrong impression? Obviously I am not planning to roughing it with them, I want them to be happy and healthy.

Re anti-malaria pills, if we are going to do get aways on the weekend, does it mean that we need to take the treatment every single day? if we are there for 6 moths, we will definitely want to visit the country including Angkor Wat of course but also the coast villages etc...

Re dengue, what is worst season? We are likely to be there from August to January.

Any input appreciated.

Many thanks.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,026 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 months in Phom Penh with 2 kids (3 and 6)

Hello Marcandflo, It may be better to ask these questions on any of the expats forum links given, as the majority of people answering on this travel forum, have generally not been in Cambodia for extended periods and therefore may not necessarily be able to answer these questions.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,790 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 months in Phom Penh with 2 kids (3 and 6)

Hello Marcandflo,

If staying for six months you should investigate the total health care services and medical evacuation packages available through the International SOS Cambodia organization and health services centre at # 161 Street 51 (Pasteur Street). For more information please check out through Google or contact at : info.cambodia@internationalsos.com

Phnom Penh is now a very, very, different city to what it was only a few years ago and the pace of change and modernisation continues unabated.

Best regards. Ian

Camp Siem Reap and next for Battambang and the Battambang Ophthalmic Care - BOC - NGO on this morning's 09:30 am Capitol bus

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 months in Phom Penh with 2 kids (3 and 6)

International SOS used to be the best option in town, but it's really not these days. I have heard too many horror stories (and watched a friend with a broken spine get turfed out and the records destroyed) to recommend anyone use SOS, except for routine healthcare, and for routine healthcare they are very overpriced. Any good international health insurance with evacuation will do, and I'd recommend several other providers over SOS, starting with Royal Rattanak if you've got the cash.

Anti-malarials do not need to be taken in any of the basic places you will go--the only places you really need it are heavily forested areas (and Cambodia has less and less of those these days!). Mosquito protection is the most important thing.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 06:42
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 months in Phom Penh with 2 kids (3 and 6)

There are many expat families happily living here with children a similar age to yours. The ones I know often use clinics with respected foreign doctors rather than the international hospitals for general health care. I know quite a few people who've had ''minor emergencies'' (accidents that could happen in any country) with young children and have all had adequate medical care. As already mentioned, in the unlikely event of a serious situation, you'll probably be looking to get evacuated anyway.

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 months in Phom Penh with 2 kids (3 and 6)

Hi there, we will take a good travel insurance like we always do when we travel overseas but I will check with them what the conditions are for evacuation to Bangkok.

I have a few more questions:

- is it easy to find a serviced apartment in PP? could anyone recommend one with a swimming pool?

- how much would it cost to hire a full time private driver for 6 months? Is it a better option on the long term?

Many thanks again,

10. Re: 6 months in Phom Penh with 2 kids (3 and 6)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:16