We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living Wage in Cambodia

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,021 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Living Wage in Cambodia

Please read below before you next try to "screw" that street stall or night market vendor or tuk tuk driver down to the absolute minimum price you can get and think it good sport in doing so.

So what is the minimum LIVING WAGE in Cambodia these days?

My Cambodian friends have been telling me for the past two years that it is US$400 per month.

Now even the incumbent government admits it is US$395 per month.

Yes, the LIVING WAGE has been increasing very rapidly in the past few years and the gap between SURVIVAL/SUBSISTANCE Wages has also been increasing rapidly.

Monthly salaries of $400 plus are commonplace these days for the better educated and skilled. And for those with overseas graduate and post graduate qualifications from good universities in disciplines in demand $1000 per month is also commonplace.

So please read: huffingtonpost.com/tola-moeun/…

Just because others exploit Cambodians is no excuse for you to do so.

Best regards. Ian

Alexandra Vic...
Level Contributor
394 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living Wage in Cambodia

Well said Ian, only ever barter up with TukTuks etc, if they want $15 per day I say $20, most times they frown and can't work out what I'm doing, I also always buy the lunch etc, a small price for yours and there happiness, nothing better than seeing a smile on a Cambodians face.

Kampong Cham...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Living Wage in Cambodia

Good for you David. Yes that amount sounds just about right. My family, foreign husband, Cambodian wife and two children, budget that amount per month. We live rurally so perhaps it's a bit cheaper,but the cost of living keeps on increasing. Some people still think that the old LP info that people live on $1/day is accurate and think they are being held up if some poor moto/tuk tuk driver is trying to make enough to break even. Also there is a plethora of tuk tuk/moto drivers in tourist high season who migrate to the big seasons since farming activities are at a standstill. They are there of course to support their families; please be generous with them.

Kampong Cham...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Living Wage in Cambodia

erratum, "who migrate to the big seasons" should read "cities" not seasons.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,570 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living Wage in Cambodia

Great idea to remind travellers travellers. Unfortunately, there are too many who spend thousands $$ to come to Asia but to pay 10 cents more on a shirt will bankrupt them. I see it daily in Bkk where tourists bargain over 50 satang. Afterwards they brag about their "deal" on social media.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,021 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living Wage in Cambodia

If this is the official government attitude towards workers in Cambodia, it's little wonder that they are protesting in very large numbers all over the country and even getting shot, clubbed or gaoled for doing so.

Quote: In our law mentioning minimum wage, we are not talking about a fair wage, we are not talking about a living wage. ” Ministry of Labour spokesman Heng Sour End Quote.

Little wonder with an attitude like this that the government has placed groups of three or four armed men with automatic weapons at nearly every major intersection in Phnom Penh to intimidate their restless citizens.

Best regards. Ian

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Living Wage in Cambodia

I remember seeing a similar thing in Egypt when Hosni Mubarak was king.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Living Wage in Cambodia

It's all a matter of perspective. Caltex workers on strike for $160 wage: cambodiadaily.com/news/…

Sokimex workers not on strike because the company is owned by a local.

So Cambodians exploiting Cambodians seems to be acceptable ?!?!?! Even if one owns $50 mil? wikileaks.org/cable/…07PHNOMPENH1034.html

Cambodians exploiting foreigners is acceptable by default here.

So what about foreigners exploiting Cambodians? Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting or endorsing to do so, especially when it's a poor tuk tuk driver or market salesperson, or street shop owner. But barangs exploiting Cambodians is NOT the main problem of this country.

8. Re: Living Wage in Cambodia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 07:17