We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much USD do I have to bring for 9D8N in Cambodia?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much USD do I have to bring for 9D8N in Cambodia?

I am intending to visit Cambodia during late August to early September, solo (on a budget). This will be my first visit to Cambodia and I would like to know on average, how much should I bring. (exclude accommodation and flight.)

My ideal itinerary goes something like this:

Day 1: Arrived in Siem Reap in early noon

Day 2: Angkor Wat

Day 3: Siem Reap then night bus to Phnom Pehn

Day 4 & 5: Phnom Pehn

Day 6: Morning bus to Sihanoukville, arrive in the afternoon

Day 7: Sihanoukville

Day 8: Morning bus back to PP

Day 9: Flight back home from PP airport.

Well, my concern is the cost of food and transportation within the city as I have no ideal how much a food and a one-way tuktuk ride will cost in Cambodia. Is my itinerary sound?

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated!

Edited: 11 May 2014, 17:02
Asean Angkor Guide
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Happy Angkor Wat Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Angkor Wat Services
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How much USD do I have to bring for 9D8N in Cambodia?

I typically bring around $800 and then hit the ATM when I need more. All of the places you are going have easy access to ATMs. If you pay for your room in advance then you probably won't even need an ATM. Most people will recommend against the night bus, but that's up to you. I would plan at least two days for Angkor wat. There isn't a lot to do in siem reap during the day anyway. You will lose the better part of a day going back and forth to sihanoukville, so you should think if it's worth it for such a short trip.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,966 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much USD do I have to bring for 9D8N in Cambodia?

I wouldn't bother with Sihanoukville for one night - add this onto your time in Siem Reap or go via Battambang and spend a couple of days there. I would suggest Day 1-4 Siem Reap, Day 5/6 Battambang, Day 7 on to PP

Angkor Pass $40, guide (if you want one- not compulsory) $30/day transport to the temples - tuk tuk $20/day or a/c car $30/day - add a couple of $$ if you want to do sunrise or sunset (see www.angkorsunset.com for better options than Phnom Bakheng)

meals anything from $2/plate upwards, beers $1 up water $1 up, fruit shakes $3, coffee $2-3

tuk tuk between hotel & town centre (eg Pub St) $2+ depending on where your hotel is

bring only what you need for the first day or two and then use the ATMs - tell your bank you are travelling so they do not block your card for suspicious use

Edited: 11 May 2014, 22:36
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much USD do I have to bring for 9D8N in Cambodia?

From the FAQs page:

See question #3 regarding budgets

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g297390-c120308/Siem-…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much USD do I have to bring for 9D8N in Cambodia?

I stayed only1 night in Battambang and wish I had spent more time there.

I stayed at King Fy hotel and loved it.

Most places I went seemed happy to always accept the local Cambodia money so you don't need a lot of USA$.

Carry no more than $USA 100 and a similiar amount in Riel and that will last a few days.

Eating and accomondation is cheap only things aimed at tourist like cruises get expensive.

I wrote a guide book on my trip. It is free and available on iTunes now and google play soon.

Titled 7 Days in Cambodia.

Hope it can be useful for you.

5. Re: How much USD do I have to bring for 9D8N in Cambodia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 03:35
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How much USD do I have to bring for 9D8N in Cambodia?

Wow thank you guys for such informative suggestions! I have a soft spot for nice beaches and that explains the two nights intended for Sihanoukville! :p But I'll reconsider Sihanoukville and do some research on Battambang which I have no prior knowledge of, probably extend my trip so that I can fit in Sihanoukville.

Any sneak peek on what to do or where to visit at Battambang?

Thanks!!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,966 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much USD do I have to bring for 9D8N in Cambodia?

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g303666-i11521-…

'things to do' in the top green bar

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much USD do I have to bring for 9D8N in Cambodia?

In Battambang I visited the Bat Cave & Bamboo Railway.

I didn't get time to see anything else but when I returned a search on YouTube showed more to see.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much USD do I have to bring for 9D8N in Cambodia?

The cool sights to see are around the outskirts of Battambang are easily explored by hiring a moto-

*The hilltop Phnom Sampeau Temple

*Wat Ek Phnom

*Wat Banan

There was a winery when I visited in 2008 but their wines were, let's just say, "in the process" of becoming drinkable. They also make brandy but the local people buy that up quickly for weddings so there was nothing left to taste. :-)

10. Re: How much USD do I have to bring for 9D8N in Cambodia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:16