We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing perfumes/ scented lotions/ deodorant in Cambodia

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Wearing perfumes/ scented lotions/ deodorant in Cambodia

I am going to be in Phnom Penh volunteering for six months. I am concerned with the bugs and getting malaria ect. From what I have been able to research, wearing scented items seem to attract the bugs more.

I am wondering if this is something I need to consider when purchasing my toiletries to bring with me. Should I be making sure all my toiletries are scent free that are possible such as deodorant, lotions, soaps, shampoo ect.?

Also I am wondering if there are any natural scents that seem to not attract bugs that I could use while there?

I frequently use a natural headache oil that has a strong peppermint and lavender scent. It also has almond oil in it. Do you think this would attract bugs? Also what about icy hot like products with menthol smells?

Speaking of toiletries, would one recommend that I try and bring everything with me that I will need during my 6 months time in Cambodia? or should I be able to re-stock with suitable quality items there for cheap?

What about purchasing sunscreen and aloe vera gel there?

Thank you!

Rebekah

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wearing perfumes/ scented lotions/ deodorant in Cambodia

You would be wise to bring unscented products with you - the bugs do prefer scents and with the amount of sweating you'll be doing nothing you put on is going to last very long anyway. You might want to think about bringing your own facial creams, etc with you - many of the products for sale in Cambodia have whitening agents in them - including many of the sunscreens. I did buy aloe gel at the UCare pharmacy - it was quite expensive compared to what I pay in the states, but since I didn't have any and needed it was worth the price.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wearing perfumes/ scented lotions/ deodorant in Cambodia

Most have whitening agents, l ran out of moisturizer and all the ones l bought were hopeless until l got some coconut oil. (Keep a look out for Coco Khmer, if you are interested) Take your own sunscreen and Aloe Vera gel from home too as its a bit expensive in Cambodia. Bodia Spa in PP and SR have a natural Mossie repellent that works well for me.

I use my normal deodorants and l use natural soaps so take those form home but don;t wear perfume while in there.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,394 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wearing perfumes/ scented lotions/ deodorant in Cambodia

How to attract mosquitoes....:)

…about.com/od/…how-to-get-mosquito-bites.htm

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wearing perfumes/ scented lotions/ deodorant in Cambodia

I bring my own deodorant, and never use perfumes. Soap can be purcahsed there, I never feel the need to bring own. Same with shampoos. I only use essential oils on my face, so a very small bottle (20ml) lasts me several weeks. Too hot and humid to be applying much else.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wearing perfumes/ scented lotions/ deodorant in Cambodia

Wow good thing to know about! I am already extremely pale.the last thing I need is a whitening agent! Thanks for the heads up.

I love coconut oil. In fact I often use it in place of lotion. You were able to find a decent quality one in Phnom Penh?

Did you find that the scent of the coconut oil was fine and did not seem to attract bugs?

Thank you all so much for your input!

Edited: 11 June 2014, 19:35
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wearing perfumes/ scented lotions/ deodorant in Cambodia

https:/…

Jomtien Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wearing perfumes/ scented lotions/ deodorant in Cambodia

"Volunteering for six months?" and all preoccupied about wearing perfumes? Please reassure us that you didn't mentioned the volunteering because you expected us all to admire you. Well, if you read up on what volunteers were doing to Cambodia, you might want to hide your purpose of going. Please read what UK and U.S. newspapers have been writing recently in exposing "volunteer tourism."

theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/02/cambodia-c…

“Child protection and NGO workers are pleading with tourists and volunteers to stay away from orphanages in Cambodia, claiming so-called “orphanage tourism” damages the children and enables exploitation.” The Guardian.

theguardian.com/global-development/2014/may/…

nytimes.com/2014/…

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wearing perfumes/ scented lotions/ deodorant in Cambodia

Hmmm I think someone must've woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Didn't your mother teach you that if you have nothing nice to say, you say nothing?

Of course I am extremely aware of the problems with "volunteer tourism". I am going to be one of the good guys who works with a legitimate organization that actually does good and changes people's lives for the better.

My questions are completely reasonable things to consider when packing for an extended time. If you don't think so, then don't read my posts anymore. And if you were reading my posts, you would know that this was one of many questions I've asked.

Goodbye rude person. I do not need your input.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,105 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wearing perfumes/ scented lotions/ deodorant in Cambodia

Your sweat and natural scent would be enough to attract mosquitoes. I suggest you apply anti-mosquito lotion or spray especially at night. I even use anti-mosquito patch that I just stick to my shirt or shorts and I find it effective.

10. Re: Wearing perfumes/ scented lotions/ deodorant in Cambodia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 15:35