We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Pointers on where to start planning (Cambodia)

Level Contributor
307 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Help - Pointers on where to start planning (Cambodia)

I'm trying to plan our holiday for next summer.

We were originally going to Travel around Australia, but it's just too damn expensive.

Now we are thinking about a month in Oz (staying with family in one area), then a couple of months in Vietnam, Thailand & Cambodia.

What I need a bit of help with is areas to start looking at whilst planning the SE Asia part of the trip, the countries are so big and I know nothing about them I have no clue where to start.

What we want is mainly beautiful beaches, beach accommodation, water sports (snorkelling, Kayaking etc) with a bit of history and culture and tradition in-between. Not really interested in cities, just beaches and country side and small villages, beautiful places. Want to go to a few places in the Cambodia, but not be travelling all the time.

Happy to do lots of research, would just like some pointers of where to start in Cambodia!

Thanks

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Pointers on where to start planning (Cambodia)

Peruse some trip reports here on the forums, see what others have done & what interests you and you will be able to collect a lot of information to help you in the planning process.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Pointers on where to start planning (Cambodia)

This is the reason alot of us Aussies go to Asia! To damn expensive to travel here!

Anyway check out www.canbypublications.com and www.travelfish.org l have always found them very good sites in planning. Air Asia for flights. Hope these tips help.

Level Contributor
307 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Pointers on where to start planning (Cambodia)

Thanks Guys!

Yep it sucks how expensive Oz is, so many places I want to see there! But SE Asia looks gorgeous… shame it will be rainy season :-/

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Pointers on where to start planning (Cambodia)

Rainy season is the best time, so green and lush, just stunning, my favourite time in Asia.

Guisborough, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - Pointers on where to start planning (Cambodia)

I second just back reports (put "JBR" in the search box) they are invaluable in gaining insight in where to adventure. Canby is a superb website particularly in regards to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat. We got a Cambodia guide book for when we were visiting but to be honest, you can get all the same information on the internet now anyway!

For not too much travelling I would suggest Siem Reap and Phnom Penh definitely hold a lot of history and culture, and there are plenty of coastal areas but you're likely to find nicer beaches in Vietnam and Thailand.

6. Re: Help - Pointers on where to start planning (Cambodia)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:15