We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets?

DONCASTER - ENGLAND
Level Contributor
342 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria tablets?

Hi.

I'll be travelling in Cambodia (7 days) and Vietnam (13 days) In August going to Siem Reap, Angkor, Battambang, Tonle Sap lake, Phnom Penh in Cambodia and whilst in Vietnam HMC. Danang, Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang and Hanoi in Vietnam.

I know that some of the places i have mentioned in both countries have a low risk of malaria and that Dengue fever is more fatal and that using DEET spray is best way to prevent bites,my motto is better be safe than sorry.

Whilst reading different posts on the above subject, different people have different views on taking them and not taking them (malaria tablets), i have decided that i am going to take some anti malaria tablets, money isn't an issue in buying the most expensive, which i believe are Malarone and have the least side effects and least time taking them before and after my trip, however, i only want to buy enough tablets that i think i will need for my trip.....so am i right in thinking that i'll only need (roughly) about 9 days of tablets?

Any info or input is greatly appreciated.

Sihanoukville...
Level Contributor
365 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria tablets?

I'm not sure about Vietnam, so I won't comment, except to say that Dengue fever is VERY rarely fatal while Malaria is the worlds no.1 killer disease. So while you definitely don't want to catch Dengue, coz its not much fun, its nothing to worry about dying from!

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria tablets?

And i can only comment on Vietnam, which I've been visiting for many years for extended periods. In none of the places you'll be visiting in Vietnam is malaria a risk. Indeed there are only a couple of very small pockets (in the Central Highlands near the Cambodian border and far from where you'll be travelling in both countries) where precautions might be necessary, but even there the judicious use of insect repellents would suffice.

Perhaps you would like to elaborate on precisely which locations you think Malarone will be required?

Edited: 01 July 2014, 20:59
DONCASTER - ENGLAND
Level Contributor
342 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria tablets?

Thank you for the reply, i was thinking more Battambang around that area? As previously stated, the money cost is not an issue, just don't want to buy tablets for places that are not needed, as you have previously mentioned that aren't a malaria risk.

I went to a few pharmacy's today, just to get an idea of the different prices, they ranged from £75-£80-£115, on my last pharmacy visit, the pharmacist, gave me a price of £30 (ish) as i would only be needing them in Cambodia, the other price quotes didn't mention this when they gave me the prices.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria tablets?

Kevin-

Just so you know-

Many of us regular visitors to Southeast Asia elect not to ply our bodies with unneccessary antibiotics. Does that make us any less vigilant about protecting our bodies against getting mosquito bites? No it does not.

I think you answered your own query in your very first post. Use mosquito repellent!

It is also good to wear long pants (and long sleeves when you can tolerate the heat) and to burn mosquito coils under your table when dining at open-air restaurnats. The coils are available cheaply at any local streetcorner pharmacy.

Safe travels. :-)

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria tablets?

The precautions you take to prevent Dengue are just as effective for Malarial mosquitoes. So provided you take the appropriate steps to avoid getting bitten in the first place, the tablets aren't necessary. Plus you don't seem to be going anywhere where Malaria is considered a risk.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe that with most anti-malarials you have to keep taking them for up to two weeks after you've left a high risk area.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria tablets?

That's for doxycycline, WEG (and it's 28 days).

I often visit high-risk malaria areas but still choose not to ply my body with unneccessary drugs. The netting/coils/long sleeves and spray has sufficed so far. Wish me luck when I am in Cambodia next month, and up in Preah Vihear Province, where malaria is indeed a risk. :-D

Edited: 02 July 2014, 04:49
South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,865 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria tablets?

Good luck Maneki, but having said that I did not see one mosquito in Preah Vihear, but did see small pockets of larvae. We are the same, no medications but spray all the time. What a fantastic place Preah Vihear is, I think it is now at the top of my favorites and cannot wait to go back again :)

Cathy

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
881 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria tablets?

The choice to take them is up to you, some people do, some don't. Personally, I take them, but plenty of others don't, just make the right decision for you.

If you do decide to buy them, have a look at the travelpharm website, they sell the generic ones for £1.65 a tablet, but you will need a private prescription from your GP to send them. If you have an Asda nearby, worth checking there too, as they were selling the generic ones for £1 each recently, and you can have a consultation first, so no need for private prescription.

You start taking them 2 days before entering a risk area, 1 tablet each day when in the risk area, and 7 days after leaving a risk area.

CDC info is here

cdc.gov/malaria/…c.html

As others have said, regardless of whether you take them or not, make sure you cover up, use a plug in anti-mosi thing in your room or burn a coil, and use bug repellent (deet would be recommended, but not everyone likes to use it).

If there's any mosquito within a 20 mile radius, you can guarantee that it'll find me!

London, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria tablets?

The decision to take anti-malarial is yours. For long term residents, the accumulated side effects (and the costs) would be high but for a short time visitor, the side effects and the costs should be manageable.

However you made one comment which is is incorrect. For all anti-malarials, including Malarone, you usually need to start taking the pills a couple fo days before entering a risk area and for about a week after leaving the risk area. The specifics should be discussed with your doctor but it certainly is not taken only for the duration of your visit. So for a 7 day trip into a risk area you will 2+7+7=16 tablets rather than 1+7+1=9 tablets.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria tablets?

Hi E150A,

Dosage wise I think that's exactly what air387 said so not sure who you're addressing with your post tbh.

Cheers