We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some basic questions about Cambodia, help me plan!

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Topic
Some basic questions about Cambodia, help me plan!

To all the Cambodia experts out there, pl help (I know these are basic questions, maybe silly too!)

We (2 Indians) are planning to visit Cambodia from 15th to 22nd November this year.

• Would the wet season be over by then? I don’t mind a bit of rain, as long as it doesn’t stop me from moving around

• It seems that PP is more well-connected by air (we will be flying in) than SR (I did a bit of search on airlines), we will probably have a short lay-over in Bangkok/Kaula Lumpur (no direct flights from India), is that correct? It seems we will have to get in and get out through PP

• We will have 8 full days, I know, not long enough to do justice but that is all the time we have. Is it sufficient to visit PP, SR, Battambang and Sihanoukville? Not too enamored with beaches (overload over the last 5 years), any other location you would recommend? How much time to spend in each place and in what order? We are not too finicky about either food or stay.

• Is it advisable to hire a cab/driver for the whole trip? I have done that several times in my SE Asia trips, and find it a better use of time, are the roads safe? (and this is from a security perspective, we are from India, home to some of the worst traffic!)

• What would it cost us to hire a cab for the 8 days, starting and ending in PP? Does it go by the day or by km? Any driver recommendations? The guy would atleast have to speak English and worst-case, double up as a local guide when we feel lazy!

• Rough estimate of costs? I have found USD30-50 per day works well for medium to upscale for most parts, is that a reliable estimate?

• Do I need to book hotels upfront? Or can I rely on the cabbie to take us to a decent place wherever we find ourselves? I find the process of paying upfront makes the schedule very rigid, would like to have the flexibility to change it on the go. And if I do need to book upfront, some recommendations in USD25-50 budget (double room, AC) in PP, SR, Battambang and Sihanoukville? (don’t care whether it is in a hip-n-happening place or right on the beach, something clean, functional and safe would do, not a big fan of crowds or drinking either, so no bar and away from the crowd works great!)

Thanks, and appreciate the responses…

Lalith

lalithtravelogues.blogspot.com

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some basic questions about Cambodia, help me plan!

Yes, wet season will end towards the end of October.

Yes, in & out of PP is probably your best bet, but the roads to Siem Reap are in an atrocious state so you should probably opt to fly PP-Siem Reap.

No, not enough tiem to see all that. I'd suggest 3 full days in Siem Reap, 2 full days in Battamabang and 2 full days in Phnon Penh. You will be spending at least a full day in travel time.

No, driver for duration not necessary. Hire one at each destination.

$30~$50 a day would be low~mid-range, NOT upscale. Your Angkor Wat pass will be $20 per day ($40 for 3 days), transport $15~$35 per day and hotel $20~$50 per day(double room). Meals, incidentals, etc will be another $15~$25 per person per day.

Yes, book hotels up front. November will be the start of high season.

Sihanoukville...
Level Contributor
362 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some basic questions about Cambodia, help me plan!

If last year and the year before were any indication - NO, wet season will NOT be over by then. Same as this year, June was one of the wettest on record when it shouldn't have been. Don't ask us to predict the weather, only fools try to do that.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 19:47
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some basic questions about Cambodia, help me plan!

According to average yearly weather patterns, dry season starts in November. There are anomalies world-wide. The OP was asking a general question and I answered it generally speaking.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some basic questions about Cambodia, help me plan!

• Wet season should be over, it will be the dry season but as said none of us can predict the weather.

• SR, Battambang and PP - if coming in and out of KL, look at arriving in SR and then departing via PP, this will save you a return trip back to entry airport.

• You could hire a driver and car for whole trip but it might cost you up to $50 a day. Bus travel or taxi travel between towns is good and cheaper option and then use local transport (tuk Tuk) in the towns.

• Costs can be anything, from cheap to expensive all tourists are catered for! You can get good accommodation at around $20 a night, I would work on $50 a day with a little extra. Seng Hout in Battambang, Golden Temple Villa in Siem Reap.

• I usually book ahead as am particular about the places l stay, but if you do not care then go for it, if wanting Golden Temple Villa - book ahead. Its totally your risk.

Hope some of this helps, check out www.canbypublications.com for more info, very useful site.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,488 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some basic questions about Cambodia, help me plan!

We have been in Cambodia during the early part of November each year the past three years. Each visit we found it be dry in Phomn Penh but in Siem Reap there were a few days where it rained very heavily in the afternoons, but cleared up quite quickly.

Maneki Neko's advice about an itinerary is ideal given the amount of time you have available and trying to fit in any more destinations will mean that you'll spend far too much time on the road.

AnnG62 gives good advice about transport. Just arrange it as you need it. I also agree that it would be wise to set your itinerary then research and pre-book your accommodation which will save time searching for somewhere suitable while you are travelling.

If you use taxis for long distance travel (which is cheap) because most of the drivers have little or no English you will need to have your destination address and phone number available for them. When they reach the outskirts of the town or city, they will phone the hotel for directions.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Some basic questions about Cambodia, help me plan!

Thanks guys, so do I go with Seng Hout in Battambang & Golden Temple Villa in Siem Reap? Any suggestions for PP?

Lalith

7. Re: Some basic questions about Cambodia, help me plan!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 06:16