To all the Cambodia experts out there, pl help (I know these are basic questions, maybe silly too!)
We (2 Indians) are planning to visit Cambodia from 15th to 22nd November this year.
• Would the wet season be over by then? I don’t mind a bit of rain, as long as it doesn’t stop me from moving around
• It seems that PP is more well-connected by air (we will be flying in) than SR (I did a bit of search on airlines), we will probably have a short lay-over in Bangkok/Kaula Lumpur (no direct flights from India), is that correct? It seems we will have to get in and get out through PP
• We will have 8 full days, I know, not long enough to do justice but that is all the time we have. Is it sufficient to visit PP, SR, Battambang and Sihanoukville? Not too enamored with beaches (overload over the last 5 years), any other location you would recommend? How much time to spend in each place and in what order? We are not too finicky about either food or stay.
• Is it advisable to hire a cab/driver for the whole trip? I have done that several times in my SE Asia trips, and find it a better use of time, are the roads safe? (and this is from a security perspective, we are from India, home to some of the worst traffic!)
• What would it cost us to hire a cab for the 8 days, starting and ending in PP? Does it go by the day or by km? Any driver recommendations? The guy would atleast have to speak English and worst-case, double up as a local guide when we feel lazy!
• Rough estimate of costs? I have found USD30-50 per day works well for medium to upscale for most parts, is that a reliable estimate?
• Do I need to book hotels upfront? Or can I rely on the cabbie to take us to a decent place wherever we find ourselves? I find the process of paying upfront makes the schedule very rigid, would like to have the flexibility to change it on the go. And if I do need to book upfront, some recommendations in USD25-50 budget (double room, AC) in PP, SR, Battambang and Sihanoukville? (don’t care whether it is in a hip-n-happening place or right on the beach, something clean, functional and safe would do, not a big fan of crowds or drinking either, so no bar and away from the crowd works great!)
Thanks, and appreciate the responses…