We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go, what to see?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where to go, what to see?

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are desperate to see some of Asia and we have a month next summer to do so. We want to do as much as we can but also get a good feel for things while we're there.

We are thinking:

London to Mumbai for a day or two

Mumbai to Thailand for longer

Thailand to either Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos (which one/s??)

Then maybe to Malaysia or Singapore (which one?)

Then hopefully last stop in sri Lanka in the way home.

Which destinations would you recommend and why? Is this the right order? Is this too ambitious for one month? Any specific places that we shouldn't miss?

Many thanks in advance for the advice.

Sarah

Bhagalpur, India
Level Contributor
81 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go, what to see?

London to Mumbai for a day or two

You can hardly imagine experiencing India in 2 days!!! (I am an Indian and have travelled a lot. Am still to experience more than half of it)

Mumbai to Thailand for longer

(Thailand is more fun and freedom I guess)

Thailand to either Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos (which one/s??)

(Combodia would be my bet)

Then maybe to Malaysia or Singapore (which one?)

(Malaysia)

Then hopefully last stop in sri Lanka in the way home.

(Arent to cramming up too much!)

Which destinations would you recommend and why? Is this the right order? Is this too ambitious for one month? Any specific places that we shouldn't miss?

I was planning for combodia and thailand alone and was unable to figure out how to finish the two in 10 days! here you are hoping to cover Asia in a month.

I guess you should look at South India -> North India (parts) and then fly to Thailand for some fun.

Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go, what to see?

Do you whant to visit SEA countries or have a look at airport architecture? Do you think 6 days is enough to learn ANYTHING about GB? Cut this list down to three (or better: one) country and THEN we can start to give you tips.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,358 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go, what to see?

I would say cut it to 2 countries and spend 2 weeks in each

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to go, what to see?

If you are limited to a month, perhaps arrange to fly in and out of Bangkok and divide your time between Thailand, Laos & Cambodia. That will give you time to see some main highlights of those 3 countries and not feel rushed.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
448 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to go, what to see?

Hi Sarah - by coincidence, I have just posted the following on another thread and much of it seems to apply to your plans too.

=========

Just had to pop up and offer a few comments.

I am now not a single person but I do know that single travellers (of either sex) generally find someone to talk with anywhere they go and I don't mean folk hitting on them but fellow travellers who are generally happy to share information and the evenings just fly by! So please don't think you are likely to have lots of early nights. :-))

No idea why you feel you want to cram in soooooo much to such a short time? Speaking for just one country, Thailand, which I have visited many times and have, in total, spent a LOT more than 3 weeks touring and I don't feel that I've even really scratched the surface of the country - there are just so many places to see. I feel that to explore Bangkok properly would take 3 weeks on its own. The country isn't enormous but it's bigger than the UK and I suspect you might agree that seeing the UK in 3 weeks wouldn't be possible?? hahaha

The other thing to bear in mind is that whilst things appear quite frequently to be frenetic, travelling times tend, in reality, to be longer than you might expect. Bear in mind it's going to be quite hot and humid and that will most certainly sap your will to rush around at top speed, even if it were possible.

Speaking from the experiences shared with me, over several decades, by many who have tried this, I can say that running around like a lunatic trying to fill every moment of the day with new experiences is a waste of time, effort and money as it's impossible to enjoy what's on offer, exacerbated by watching the clock to see what time you have to be at the station/airport/bus depot.

Basically, please consider s-l-o-w-i-n-g d-o-w-n and giving yourself enough time to savour every waking moment - the benefits are enormous. The other method will be almost guaranteed to provide you with lots of regrets.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it exceeds your expectations and you have a wild time.

Guisborough, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to go, what to see?

Definitely slow down and take your time!

We've spent 3 weeks in Cambodia and missed out loads of places we wanted to visit and rushed through places we wanted to remain for longer. Angkor Wat itself is worthy of using the 3 day pass at the very least so what about the capital? What about the jungle? What about the ocean and rivers? What about the rural regions? Not enough time to experience anything. And travel times? A 7 hour journey took us near 12. Very unpredictable and there's nothing you can do about it.

Vietnam was much the same in respect to time. We spent 3 weeks split between north and south and are planning our return visit in which we still won't experience as much as we'd like.

Both countries we feel are due return visits anyway!

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: where to go, what to see?

Hi Sarah

By now you are probably fed up of people telling you not to do it but........

It has been a long term ambition to visit SEA but with a maximum of only a couple of weeks holiday at any one time I have always felt that I may well have ended up feeling rather frustrated with the whole business. Having now retired I will be doing a trip early next year to Cambodia (2 weeks) and Vietnam (6 weeks) and I am sure that I am not going to come even close to covering everything over the whole period.

I certainly do not mean to be either nasty or mean minded but your whole plan does seem to me to be a wee bit over ambitious. I would just harken back to Nishant's wise words re his own country: hopefully India is going to be my 2nd "big adventure" and I am looking seriously at 10 - 12 weeks for that. Even with that amount of time, I suspect where to leave out would be a bigger problem than where to include.

In your position and taking on board Helen's suggestion of 2 x 2 weeks I would probably be looking at 2 out of Thailand, Cambodia and Laos.

Whatever you finally decide on do have a great time.

John

Alexandra Vic...
Level Contributor
394 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to go, what to see?

Hi Sarah, I will just give my opinion, whether you or anyone else likes It is up to you and them. I will agree 4/5 weeks isn't long in countries like Cambodia , Vietnam ! Thailand etc so here is a couple of ideas. 1/ fly to Siem Reap for Angkor etc 3/4 days, overland to PhnomPenh,( shame to miss Battambang ) , a couple of days in PP then down to Kampot /Kep for 3 days R&R before heading to HCMC 2 days, then Dalat for a couple of days before doing 6 days on motorbikes to HoiAn 2/3 days then fly to Hanoi 2 days up to Sapa , 4 days, back to HaNoi 1 day, then to finish off a relaxing 2 night 3 day Halong bay trip. Total about 30 days, you will go home worn out but exhilarated. Option 2 , fly to KL, then across to Borneo for Orangs, proboscis , turtle island etc, about 7 days , back to KL before going overland to Cameron highlands, Penang,Langkawi then boat to Phuket in Thailand for a few days beach break ( PhiPhi , Krabi etc ) about 5/7 days, then overland to Bangkok for a few days then train to Chaing Mai, ( my favorite part of Thailand ) for a trek to hill tribes etc, then fly back to Bangkok for last couple of days shopping etc, total approx 30 days, same applies , but perhaps you could squeeze in Singapore at the start and go overland from there to KL. HAPPY TRAVELS

9. Re: where to go, what to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 05:16