We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highlights of Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam - itinerary

LONDON
Level Contributor
122 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Highlights of Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam - itinerary

Hello travelers,

I have this ambitious itinerary of only 15 nights( excludes the return flights to London) to visit what I think it might be the main wonders of this Asian Region. So the main itinerary would be more or less:

- day 1 arrival to Bangkok ( 2nights) - ( 8th Nov)

- day 2 - City Tour / temples of Bangkok

- Day 3 - Fly from Bangkok to Hanoi ( 3 nights total In Vietnam )

- day 4 - ( 1 night cruise in Halong Bay)

- day 5 - Halong Bay

- day 6 - Return to Hanoi -Fly from Hanoi- back to Bangkok ( 1 night in Bangkok)

- day 7 - Fly from Bangkok to Siemp Riep ( For The Angkor Wat Temples ) ( 4 nights in Cambodia)

- day 8 -- day 11 - > To visit Angkor Wat ( 3 day pass)- and The Floating villages lake etc..

- Day 11 - day 15 - Get the Flight from Siemp Riep to Krabi ( 4 nights in Krabi and or Phi Phi Islands)

- Day 15 - Fly back to Bangkok ( 1 night in BaNGKOK)

- Day 16 - Fly from to Bangkok

to London.

Do you think this is too ambitious. I thought that flight prices are relatively cheap between these countrie and it's more than likely that I won't go back to this part of the world so soon , this could be a good ideia. Any thoughts on this itineray should I spend less or more days in these areas ?

Thank you in advance

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,359 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highlights of Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam - itinerary

My thoughts on this itinerary - crazy - and looks like one of those race around tick-a-box itineraries that Vietnamese travel agents put together.

One day in Bkk and one day in hanoi just do not make sense - both are amazing cities with masses to see & do. Since you are flying into Bkk - it should stay but I'd remove Hanoi and save Vietnam for another trip when you can give the country the time it deserves - something like 3 weeks is a good amount of time (its also a very expensive visa for just 3 days)

Concentrate this time on Bangkok, Siem Reap and Krabi and actually get to enjoy your holiday

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highlights of Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam - itinerary

If this is a package tour complete with guides taking you around on private transport, etc., then it is doable.

Attempting that on your own would be excruciatingly hectic and you won't have time to stop and smell the Vietnamese coffee.

I tend to agree with what Helen says, you will really only have time for 2 destinations. Stick to Thailand and Cambodia this time around.

Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Highlights of Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam - itinerary

Oh, and it's the first time I hear about a flight from SR to Krabi. So an other day lost in transit. Do one cof the three countries. And forget about the "I won't go back" part - you will, if you do it right the first time.

LONDON
Level Contributor
122 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highlights of Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam - itinerary

Thank you guys! Im a solo traveller so its ok for me not to spend to much time in one place as i won't have anything to do in the evenings and will have very early nights. But I will follow your advice then and stick to Thailanf and cambodia. Maybe try to sqeeze Chiang Mai in for 3 nights? As anybody visited the Elephant conservation park in Chiang Mai? I have heard bad things about they treat the animals! I wanted to see these creatures but not very sure how!

Thanks

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highlights of Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam - itinerary

Skip visiting ANY place if there have been reports about animals being mistreated.

Visit Chiang Mai as opposed to what other options? Please let us know.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highlights of Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam - itinerary

I have sent you a private message regarding elephants, kindly check your messages.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
448 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highlights of Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam - itinerary

Hi Christiana - just had to pop up and offer a few comments.

I am now not a single person but I do know that single travellers (of either sex) generally find someone to talk with anywhere they go and I don't mean folk hitting on them but fellow travellers who are generally happy to share information and the evenings just fly by! So please don't think you are likely to have lots of early nights. :-))

No idea why you feel you want to cram in soooooo much to such a short time? Speaking for just one country, Thailand, which I have visited many times and have, in total, spent a LOT more than 3 weeks touring and I don't feel that I've even really scratched the surface of the country - there are just so many places to see. I feel that to explore Bangkok properly would take 3 weeks on its own. The country isn't enormous but it's bigger than the UK and I suspect you might agree that seeing the UK in 3 weeks wouldn't be possible?? hahaha

The other thing to bear in mind is that whilst things appear quite frequently to be frenetic, travelling times tend, in reality, to be longer than you might expect. Bear in mind it's going to be quite hot and humid and that will most certainly sap your will to rush around at top speed, even if it were possible.

Speaking from the experiences shared with me, over several decades, by many who have tried this, I can say that running around like a lunatic trying to fill every moment of the day with new experiences is a waste of time, effort and money as it's impossible to enjoy what's on offer, exacerbated by watching the clock to see what time you have to be at the station/airport/bus depot.

Basically, please consider s-l-o-w-i-n-g d-o-w-n and giving yourself enough time to savour every waking moment - the benefits are enormous. The other method will be almost guaranteed to provide you with lots of regrets.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it exceeds your expectations and you have a wild time.

LONDON
Level Contributor
122 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highlights of Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam - itinerary

Hi Cibarous,

Thank you for your comments. I agree that a solo traveller always ends up meeting people along the way ! It happened with me before when I travelled to South America!

Regarding my itinerary it depends on each peoples choices . But I would want to stay in Bangkok more than 3 nights ! Thats not my aim! Also sticking with one country 'doesn't mean necessary that will be less busy. For instances in terms of proximity Siemp Riep it's closer to Bangkok than Krabi or even Chiang Mai are! So its a bit subjective! I quite like to be busy when Im travelling! I have done Rio de Janeiro and Peru last year and I loved it!

But I agree 3 countries in just over 2 weeks is too much! I will stick with cambodia and Thailand!

Thanks and happy slow travels to you! He he

Berkshire
Level Contributor
448 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Highlights of Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam - itinerary

Hi Christiana - wasn't particularly suggesting visiting only the one country, just using Thailand as an example of how difficult it is to see much of a country whilst rushing around.

Having said that, I am relieved that you have decided to drop country number 3 as you made me quite tired just reading your suggested itinerary!! hahaha

LONDON
Level Contributor
122 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Highlights of Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam - itinerary

I know I thought that as well, after reading my own itinerary ! lol...maybe I would need another holiday to recover from a 2 week Holiday visiting 3 countries !

I'm going to book the flights this weekend and after that I will start to have fun planning my Holiday for November!

I think I will book all the tours when I get there, It most be a lot cheaper! Even the one from Angkor Wat temples I should book with local tour agents . Not sure if I will do a DIY tour to Angkor Temples though as due to time restrictions it might be a bit stressfull!