We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kampot or Phnom Penh?

vancouver
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Kampot or Phnom Penh?

I will be in cambodia for 10 days in oct and would like to get some advice about my itinerary.

Day 1-4: siem reap

Day 5: siem reap fly to Sihanoukville

Day 6-7: koh rong samloem

Day 8: koh rong samloem to kampot, sunset

Day 9: kampot and kep day tour, afternoon bus to Phnom Penh

Day 10: day tour Phnom Penh and fly out at midnight

Is it worth stopping by kampot for 1 day since I am nearby in sihanoukville? The alternative is to go directly from koh rong samloem to Phnom Penh for 2 days and skip kampot.

Thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kampot or Phnom Penh?

As much as it kills me to say this, but l think you should go to PP, you will experience some country side With Your current itinerary, and it would be a bit rushed at the end of your trip to fit it all in, unless you went to Kampot and then then only went to PP for the day of departure taking a taxi trip to PP early ( approx $40 and 2.3 hours) leaving you to explore PP for a day? But then You have the issue of your bag?

Alexandra Vic...
Level Contributor
392 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kampot or Phnom Penh?

It really does depend on what your interests are, I love Kampot/ Kep it is one of my favorite places in Cambodia and I'm not that fond of Sihanoukville so it is really up to you. Phnom Penh has the killing fields and S21 which I think is a must see , while Kampot / Kep has pepper plantations, salt fields & who can forget fresh Kep crab, so in the end it really is up to you. Happy travels

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,017 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kampot or Phnom Penh?

As David, poster #2 mentions, whether to spend that extra time in Kampot or Phonm Penh entirely depends on your interests. Personally I think that there is a great deal more to see and do In PP and it would be a shame to miss the chance to visit and explore this very interesting small city.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kampot or Phnom Penh?

As much as I love Kampot & Kep, I'd suggest maximising your time in PP instead. So much to see and experience.

Vrane nad Vltavou...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kampot or Phnom Penh?

A little of topic but I recommend to visit S21 in a early morning (we were here at 6:30, just me and my girlfriend and it was really interensting so scary and gloomy atmosphere) - best experience from Phnom Penh ;-)

vancouver
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kampot or Phnom Penh?

Thanks for your replies and advice!

I found that cambodia air has an earlier flight from SR to sihanoukville that day arriving at 11am so I can probably make the late afternoon ferries to the islands without staying in sihanoukville.

This would give me

Day7: island to kampot

Day8: kampot

Day9: morning bus to Phnom Penh

Day10: all day Phnom Penh with midnight flight out

Would this be any better?

7. Re: Kampot or Phnom Penh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:16