We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is PP for photography?

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is PP for photography?

I got a little concerned last night after reading the Lonely Planet Cambodia book. It had a section about bag snatching and it made me worry since I use a digital slr camera with a strap around my neck and also usually have a backpack for the rest of my camera gear. Is this bag snatching pretty common enough where I will have to leave my camera in the backpack and completely secure the backpack to me? I would hate to miss photo opportunities by keeping my camera in the bag most of the time, but I really do not want my camera and/or bag stolen.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is PP for photography?

I always have a camera with me and despite many visits to PP I never have a problem... admittedly, I don't walk on the pavement edge and I often just go out with a Leica compact in my pocket but I never saw bag/camera snatch there... I'm sure they happen but with caution you can minimise the risk. As a comparison, I just got back from Barcelona where I saw two bag snatches and had 3 people try the map cover pickpocket routine with me on the metro, once you are aware there may be a problem you stand a better chance of avoiding it IMHO

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is PP for photography?

Grumby-

Yes, unfortunately bag-snatching is not uncommon in Phnom Penh, especially with those riding around in a tuk-tuk that leave their bag by their feet. I would not advise against bringing a good camera there, as Cambodia is a photographer's paradise, but just make sure you hold onto it, and it would be a very good idea to have it insured. And, NEVER, EVER leave it unattended in your baggage or hotel room.

Phuket
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is PP for photography?

Just keep your wits about you and who is around you. Ptobably best to keep the camera in the backpack and only take it out when you need it.

I have been to PP about 20 times, only carry a backpack and never had any problems with a snatching, but it does happen, ussualy handbags over the should or a bag on the floor of a tuk-tuk.

Any hotel, bar or restaurant will have printed PP city guides, pick one up, thumb through it, it should give you some very excellent places throughout the city.

Enjoy and have a good time.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is PP for photography?

Thanks both of you for the advice. I guess I'll keep my camera in the bag until a photo opportunity arises and then I'll take it out. Hopefully I can do this quickly enough not to miss any spontaneous shots. I'll start practicing!

Phuket
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is PP for photography?

Have fun there Grumby, it is a good place, safe and easy to get around. There are many places you can have your camera out, such as along the riverfront, the monuments, and wats, no one will probably run up and grab your camera in the daytime. Just be careful on a bike taxi or in a tuk-tuk, or while walking through a crowded market.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
377 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is PP for photography?

Excellent topic this, I am takign my canon 400d and a couple of lensed to cambodia in May. My fiancee is dead against it in-case it gets stolen, but I really want to take it.

I have a big camera bag (not a rucksack) so I will try to keep it in there at all times.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is PP for photography?

Sheesh. You guys are being paranoid. As long as you hold onto it, and don't ever leave it in your hotel room, it's not going to be a problem. Having to remove the darn thing from your backpack every time you want to snap a shot is just going to be a hassle. Cambodia attracts camera buffs like you wouldn't believe, and I saw some MONSTER lenses and huge tripods being schlepped around by most of the Asian visitors in December in Siem Reap. Just watch your belongings!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is PP for photography?

Ebor,

I like your style, I'm also bringing a Canon 400d!

Chris

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
792 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe is PP for photography?

I'm planning to bring my camera equipment to Cambodia in a few weeks. I have a floater on my Insurance (State Farm) to cover the more expensive items (bodies, lenses). It buys some peace of mind.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
377 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe is PP for photography?

Great minds, Grumby, great minds!!!!

Thanks for the info Maneki, and perhaps your right about being paranoid!