We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maleria

nogombo
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maleria

My husband and I will be in Cambodia for 5 days in the middle of November. Does anyone recommend taking Malerone tablets?

We are receiving conflicting advice from the Doctor and the Pharmacist.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,966 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maleria

Best advice I think is to 'cover up' plus plenty of Deet based cream/spray. Dengue fever mosquitos are about during the day and there is no vaccination for this. As far as malaria - I didn't take anything - had a previous nasty reaction to anti-malarials. Others will disagree - my 10c worth :)

safe travels

helen

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maleria

Your average home practitioner/GP knows nothing about tropical medicine. Malaria meds are not needed, especially if you will only be in Siem Reap and for a mere 5 days. As Helen suggested above, cover up and use DEET. I am living proof that after over 20 years of traveling in malaria spots, that if one is cautious, one will be safe.

Bairnsdale...
Level Contributor
208 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maleria

Can I also just say that from past experience, the Malaria tablets can also make you quiet sick. So just cover up.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maleria

My partner is living proof that no matter what precautions she takes, she will ALWAYS get bitten, even in the UK and Budapest! Do not take chances, if there is a chance of malaria, take medication. Feeling sick is better than catching malaria.

By the way, not everyone gets side effects. My partner and I never have in many years of taking tablets and we are not unique.

Medication does not guarantee not catching it but adds another line of defence.

pHNOM pENH
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maleria

We do not experience too many mosquitos here in Phnom Penh , we do have a smaller fly something akin to black-fly which caused large swellings in Germany , mild agravation in Canada and a mild stinging for a while here in Cambodia . The biggest fear I would have is the Dengay mosquito because there is practicall y nothing you can do to prveent or cure bites from them , I have only ran into those in Sihanook-ville but never a bite (injection), they are day-time flyers , lived here 4 years .

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maleria

My partners biggest defence (apart from covering up) is the 'Skin So Soft' range from Avon. Many people on trip advisor have also rated it highly. Although not sold as a mosquito repellent, it definitely works and smells better than a lot of other protective remedies.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maleria

I would choose a product with DEET, and I believe Avon (Skin-so-soft) has that as well. I just returned from the Thai-Cambodia border area where some strains of malaria are resistant to ANY medication, so protection by covering up, sleeping under a net and using DEET is the only way. Mosquitoes love me too, and while I did not get any mosquito bites, I got a heap of others (spiders?)...And no medication is going to protect you against dengue or chikungunya. Use DEET...

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maleria

For what it's worth....we took malarone and sprayed ourselves with deet in the morning and the evening for our stay in SR. We dithered about the malarone aspect for a while, but as I seem to have become more attractive to mosquitos in the last few years, and my forte is fretting, I decided that I could end up a nervous wreck if I got some bites and worried away the holiday! As it was, I got no bites, or certainly none like I got in Thailand the year before.

But, 2 days after taking malarone, I got some amazing mouth ulcers, turns out they are a side effect of malarone. Interestingly enough, since then I get mouth ulcers pretty regularly whereas I used to only get them maybe once or twice a year. Coincidence? Maybe, but I think not. That said, I can live with mouth ulcers that last a day or two than risk malaria.

It's a hard one though, everyone has different views on this. If I was just going to PP though, I wouldn't have taken it.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maleria

My partner uses the 'skin so soft' body lotion because she can apply it all over BUT still uses the strongest type of repellent as well. Despite this (and covering up completely) when we were in a jungle camp in Borneo once, a severe rainstorm drove the mozzies under cover with the rest of us and she got bitten on her back through her clothes.

She must look like a 5* Michelin dinner to any kind of flying insect, anything that bites her, (midges in Tenerife, dragonfly in Budapest, god knows what in a friends garden in the UK) always brings her up in lumps. With the dragonfly incident, I actually felt it brush past the back of my legs just before she yelled!!!

10. Re: Maleria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 05:17