We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

We`re arriving in Phnom Penh and taking a bus to Siem Reap where we`ll be spending a few days (couldn`t get a flight to Siem Reap). However, we`re arriving mid-morning and want to pretty much go directly to Siem Reap - do you foresee problems getting a seat on a bus? I'd prefer the buses with bathrooms etc, but don't see a place to book ahead of time - is it wise to just expect to be able to head there from the airport and get a ticket?

Oh, and I did a search on here, but most of the threads I found were old(ish).

Thanks

Edited: 05 February 2010, 08:04
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Last month is oldish?

When are you arriving in Siem Reap? If it is during peak travel season then yes, you should book a day or two in advance. Ask your hotel to do this when you arrive. There are toilets on most of the buses but they are teeny tiny cubicles. I never use them, just wait till they make a pit stop. People are usually bus barfing in there (motionsickness)...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

We're arriving on the 13th, so I imagine it will be a pretty busy time given it is Chinese New Year.

Can any of the good companies be booked online ahead of time. I'm flying from Canada to Singapore, then Singapore to Phnom Penh and need a bus to Siem Reap the same day I land in Phnom Penh. Thanks for the help.

And, I didn't notice any threads that recent -- my search for buses between the places turned up a lot of threads - I guess I didn't order them correctly.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

There are at least 4 companies that have buses departing from morning till early afternoon, so you will have no problem getting on one. Check the schedule here (scroll down a bit for times & fares)

www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/buses.htm

Chinese New Year will probably be quiet, the Chinee closing down their businesses and spending time with their families, and the exodus (if any) will probably be before the New Year.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Great. I've never been to Cambodia, or anywhere in the area, so I don't really know what to expect. I hope you don't mind if I trouble you with one last question.

We land about 7:30 in the morning and I'm hoping to make it to the Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng before catching a bus to Siem Reap. Do you think it would make sense to go to the Killing Fields after the airport (somebody told me they are in same general area), then hit a bus station in town to get tickets, then see Tuol Sleng? Thanks again for all the help.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Hmm..You may be pressed for time if it takes a while to get through customs etc (it usually doesn't, but you never know)..Personally, I'd head into town to the Mekong Express office (87 Sisowath Quay) and pick up tickets first. Then, hire a tuk-tuk (or just keep the guy you hire from the airport) to take you to Tuol Sleng. It is definitely worth an hour~90 minutes to absorb what went on there, and up onthe 3rd floor is a good exhibit of personal accounts of the atrocities at that time, which takes some time to read and peruse.

IF and only if time permits, go out to the Killing Fields. Personally, it is a long way to go just to see a field and a monument, but it has great historical value if you are into history.

I have photos of it here if you are interested

http://PPKF.notlong.com

(6th row of photos)

Edited: 06 February 2010, 00:36
Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Hello Callicles,

I fully support what Maneki-neko has just advised you.

First priority must be from airport to bus company of your choice and secure tickets/seating. If all goes well then you may get on to a 12 noon or 12:30 service PNH to REP.

Reaksmay Angkor Express and Mekong Express offices are close to each other so easy to check out both if not successful with one of them.

You ticketing and check in/departure times then dictates what time is available to you for sightseeing of any kind.

Just remember though, that you need to check in for the better companies 30 minutes prior to advertised departure time.

Best regards. Ian

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Thanks so much you two. Invaluable advice.

Edited: 06 February 2010, 00:51
8. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 07:18