We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any good ideas for short stop at Phnom Penh, Please..?

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Topic
Any good ideas for short stop at Phnom Penh, Please..?

Hi all,

Please I need your ideas/advise and help on this so please help me to revise, as on this leg I have left myself day short.

I have booked the 252 Hotel for a night in mid November.

I am arriving solo at 16.20 pm at airport from Bangkok and arranged Tuk tuk with the hotel for $9 as I do not any time in PP.

I will buy a sim card from the airport, so I can use it on my Cambodia trip to arrange drivers and communicate home.

I plan to hire Tuk tuk to take me around the town after check in at hotel, so I can get the feel of place. I will have a look at the Grand palace, pergola etc from outside. I do not want to go to killing fields as it will make me cry ( I am sensitive, thus a vegetarian) This will be a taster for my next visit ;)

Maybe I can walk around the river in evening? Is it safe for solo female to walk late there? I can take Tuk tuk after.

Also another question is which express bus, should I take next morning ?

Any ideas / advise would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance

cheers

Diva

sydney,australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any good ideas for short stop at Phnom Penh, Please..?

your best idea is to only spend short time in phnom penh !.maybe it should include sunset on the river at the foreign correspondents club which is near the royal palace,then go to "friends" restaurant for dinner (www.friends-international.org) at 213,street 13-near the national museum and finish off the evening with a walk along the riverside until you feel tired,then get a tuk tuk back to your accommodation ($2 should cover the tuk tuk).this area can be daunting for a single woman but experience it keeping in mind the security of personal belongings.you will see the best and worst of PP by walking.my turnaround point is usually the ferry dock .leave all travelling money ,passport and personal valuables with your hotel.personal violence is not a problem but petty thievery does occur.

your hotel can arrange bus ticket to siem reap,recommend either mekong express or apsara limos ($ 12).if in SR on a saturday night do not forget to attend the one hour performance/lecture by swiss doctor Dr beatecello at javerman 7 childrens hospital.he gives great insight into medical care in cambodia.also buy his dvd "your money or your blood"($10) as a momento of your visit to cambodia..

for your essential "apsara" dance performance highly recommend you avoid the touristy performances ,break the budget and go to raffles hotel apsara terrace.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any good ideas for short stop at Phnom Penh, Please..?

Hey G-Day LondonDiva,

I would suggest that you stay away from the fresh meat department at the Russian Market.

inaspin

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any good ideas for short stop at Phnom Penh, Please..?

Thank you so much whrabbit and inaspin for your help, I really appreciate all your ideas : )

I will take the walk from foreign correspondents club and have dinner at friends to ferry dock and take tuk tuk back.

I will ask hotel to arrrange the bus for me to Siem Reap.

I am not going to be there on saturday and i will consider going to raffles for apsara dance. I want to to asee apsara dance.

also i will avoid the meat market :)

Any more tips please let me know.

cheers

Diva

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any good ideas for short stop at Phnom Penh, Please..?

Go bike riding with Green grasshopper tours - half day tour out into the countryside or take a cooking class through the Frizz restaurant which can either be a half day or full day - absolutely recommend both.

Even though the Killing Fields is amazingly sad, you also can't hide from the history of the country and it all helps put the pieces together.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any good ideas for short stop at Phnom Penh, Please..?

Thank you Millsie for the v good suggestions:)

I will go to killing fields another time I visit Cambodia

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any good ideas for short stop at Phnom Penh, Please..?

LOL inaspin,

Only a fellow Aussie can appreciate your sense of humour!!!

Regards, Keza

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any good ideas for short stop at Phnom Penh, Please..?

Actually I understood Inspin humour ..And I do stay away/ avoid meat markets almost anywhere..

I am going to ask the hotel to arrange the morning bus to Siem Reap. I am looking forward to my Far trip :)

8. Re: Any good ideas for short stop at Phnom Penh, Please..?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 06:17