We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is cheaper thailand or cambodia

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adlington, United...
Level Contributor
499 posts
272 reviews
Save Topic
where is cheaper thailand or cambodia

We are thinking of going to phom penh for a few days whilst in thailand whats the cost of living like compared to hua hin in thailand anyone know?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where is cheaper thailand or cambodia

Cambodia is cheaper.

Diva

travelpod.com/travel-blog/smittee/1/tpod.html

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: where is cheaper thailand or cambodia

^^ +1

siem reap
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where is cheaper thailand or cambodia

Cambodia is far cheaper,the hotels are cheaper and normal services are cheaper.thailands labour force is more highly paid than khmers so most services works out cheaper,

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,864 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where is cheaper thailand or cambodia

But the Thai Royal Resort town of Hua Hin and its beaches and sea-side hotels are vastly superior to any you will find in coastal Cambodia.

I rather like Hua Hin. It's a good place to relax and consume slippy, slimy, smelly, durian in a good hotel pool.

Costs like-for-like are definitely cheaper in Cambodia and the Khmer people are far more friendly and likeable than the Thais are.

Best regards. Ian.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where is cheaper thailand or cambodia

ditto Ians comments ,cambodia is cheaper and locals are friendlier and more easy going.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where is cheaper thailand or cambodia

Cambodia is cheaper but Thailand is definitely a better beach destination.

Phnom Penh
Level Contributor
282 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where is cheaper thailand or cambodia

All depends on where in Thailand or Cambodia you go. For living, you wont get the same deals on rent as you would in Thailand. In Thailand for example you can get an apt for 300 a month with pool, weight room and other amenities. You would have to pay double for the same in PNH. In Sihanoukville you could have an apt not far from the beach for as little as 100 dollars a month. Street food in Thailand is cheap and safer to eat. Get out of the tourist areas in Thailand and beer is reasonable. Surin for example is great value. There is no tax on alcohol in Cambodia so drinks will be cheaper, though many night venues in PNH are upping their prices well above their cost.

Leicester
Level Contributor
447 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where is cheaper thailand or cambodia

For a trip lasting a few days in either country like for like costs are lower in Cambodia. Yes,the Khmers are friendlier, they remind me of how Thai's were in the early 1980's when I first started travelling to Thailand. Thai's generally are still incredibly gracious people but the attitudes have hardened so much in the main tourist area's that its become a reason to avoid them for me. Off the beaten path in Thailand is the way to go now.

Go and enjoy a little of Cambodia while it still has some innocence, at least as far as tourism goes.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
954 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where is cheaper thailand or cambodia

Cambodia is cheaper but i disagree re friendliness. Pnohm Penn can be quite hostile. In siem reap they are very friendly

brisbane
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: where is cheaper thailand or cambodia

Cambodia is changing fast and for the better i feel,Pnomh Penh and Sihanoukville are both getting a makeover.Stayed recently in the latter for two weeks,one street from the beach in nice hotel for $15 per night with airc.Great value in a seaside town that is far less touristy than say Puket and easy to chill out.In my view Cambodian people are about the friendliest and sincere on this earth.