We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lighthouse Orphanage Phnom Penh

Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lighthouse Orphanage Phnom Penh

I visited this orphanage in January which resulted in me sending $1093 to them on the 28th Feb for sponsorship of three children

The cash was acknowledged as received on the 5th March by Ms Vibolen Long and was promised a receipt and further details 'very shortly'

To date I have heard nothing further despite 3 emails being sent enquiring when the children would be starting school.

I am hoping that this has not been a con and will be very happy to post further on Trip Adviser when a reply has been received from Ms Vibolen Long

Linda Foard

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lighthouse Orphanage Phnom Penh

Hi,

If you put "Lighthouse Orphanage" into the search box above you will find some recent threads which probably will not give you a great deal of confidence in their administration. I hope you get the infomation you want from them soon.

Cheers

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,513 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lighthouse Orphanage Phnom Penh

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear .... gee I wish you had found Trip Advisor BEFORE you made this payment. Like paulo, I hope you get good news soon, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

helen

Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lighthouse Orphanage Phnom Penh

Does anybody know what has happened to the Light House Orphanage at Phnom Penh. Their website seems to have disappeared

I ask because i sent them over $1000 for sponsorship of three children supposedly in their care way back in February and despite many enquiries,including a letter to the Cambodian Embassy, have received no confirmation that the children have started school or anything else.

Their website seems to have disappeared.

Obviously I have been conned but wonder why their website has been closed down

Linda Foard

Sre Siam
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lighthouse Orphanage Phnom Penh

If their website has disappeared so has your money.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lighthouse Orphanage Phnom Penh

they proberly have started up again under another name.

siem reap
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lighthouse Orphanage Phnom Penh

Linda,i think some times what happens is a person or groups of people want to start a business,they know that if you pretend to be an orphanage than its easy to raise money from either volinteers or tourist.using childern as there commodity.

if people donate than they the group keep the money or produce and the childern get nothing or at the very best maybe a meal and they learn to sing a simple merry song in english.

the tourist think oh what cute childern and feel good to give money.what they dont realise is the actual giving of money is harmful to the childern.

some of the reasons giving money or produce( the produce is sold later for money) is harmful include

1..it sets a bad example for others to follow,others will see that they to could start a business using the same business model and get easy money.

2..the childern learn begging is good,they learn that someone will always look after them if they ask.

3..the childern learn a few simple songs in english and learn to smile at tourist but not much formal education.at my last job interview i was asked about my schooling not asked to sing a simple song,like "if you are happy and you know it shake your head"

4..it uses child labour.childern are there produce.

5..it gives honest organistions a bad name.

6..it gives cambodia a bad name.

7..it promotes cheating and lies.

8..but i think the most worrisome to me is some times the so called orphanages hides people that are harmful to the childern.i think if you goggle lighthouse orphanage phnom penh you may realise what i mean.(:

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lighthouse Orphanage Phnom Penh

Linda-

I was handed literature from that organization back in 2004 when i first visited Phnom Penh. I fortunately never looked into it as I was on my way to visiting a legitimate, registered NGO my friend highly recommended. There are so many of these places springing up these days that it is hard to determine which are legimate and which are not. It does take a serious amount of research before you find a decent place and have to ask yourself how you can best assit the organization, hopefully with a long-term commitment.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lighthouse Orphanage Phnom Penh

I am in regular contact with the lighthouse after visiting in February of 2012. I have received reciepts and photos of all expenses and repairs I have funded. I just think they are very unorganized. I am planning a trip back to Cambodia in March of next year to search out reliable places to donate to.

Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Lighthouse Orphanage Phnom Penh

Thanks, after all the negative feedback your post has given me just a little hope that my money has not gone to decorating someone's house or towards a new car for a 'staff ' member

Still not received any information re the three children that I sponsored so if they did actually get to school it is just a shame that I will not be paying their fees for next year which of course I was very happy to do.

Thanks again for your comment

Linda

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lighthouse Orphanage Phnom Penh

I will see if I can find out anything when I am there in December.