We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Bayon Express to Siam Reap?

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Virginia
3 posts
Save Topic
Golden Bayon Express to Siam Reap?

Travelling by bus last month, I saw this van at the rest stop called "Golden Bayon Express". The van said they are equipped for WIFI. Anybody have experience traveling with them?

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
8 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Bayon Express to Siam Reap?

They are great Golden Bayon has wifi, only one food stop. They are book up fast. I live in Siem Riep and use often pay $8.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Bayon Express to Siam Reap?

I used them this weekend and found the vans very cramped (I am only five feet tall and could barely fit). Get a seat on the left side, not the right. It takes about 5.5 hours, one stop. There isn't wifi on each van so beware of that.

I found the staff pretty rude, which is unusual for Cambodia. If I has to take the trip again I would go Mekong.

nsw
Level Contributor
784 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Bayon Express to Siam Reap?

We went from Phnom Penh on Mekong express and it as ok but i was really travel sick. The bus was old and the road is bad so we literally bounced all te way. Bus however was in reasonable condition and did have a toilet.

However Giant Ibis was so muc better. The buses are new and they have WiFi but they do not have a toilet on board. They did stop twice though.

I will be using Giant Ibis again in

Red

Sherfield English...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Bayon Express to Siam Reap?

it's great Golden Bayon

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Bayon Express to Siam Reap?

Golden Bayon Express van sucked... whats the point of being "express" if you stop once in the middle for 30 minutes, and really its a useless stop, and they wont let you stay in the van, I was napping but they made me get out, so I sat on the ground outside the van for 30 minutes. Also the driver drove like a maniac, going full speed passing vehicles around blind spot corners, constantly honking his horn at anybody and everybody he passed. It was very cramped van, and the trip took like 5 1/2 hours, vs the Giant Ibis luxury bus which took about 6 hours. I much prefered Giant Ibis luxury bus. Although the wifi worked well on the golden bayon and not on the giant Ibis bus.

Honolulu, Hawaii...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Bayon Express to Siam Reap?

I just rode on the Golden Bayon to Siem Reap today and was sorely disappointed. It is a mini van-style bus with 4 rows of seats (seating 13 people total). Most seats are bench seats unless you're lucky enough to get one of the three, slightly more roomy single seats. I agree with Amy's review above of it being "cramped" -- all of the seats have very limited leg room and it doesn't help that there is no undercarriage or much room for luggage, so they slide large backpacks under the seats and even under some passenger's feet, providing even less leg room. The bench seats were cramped to the point we're your rubbing shoulders and legs; I found myself alternating with my neighbor as to who would lean forward periodically in that sort of unspoken dance of crowded busses.

I am accustomed to some of the crazy driving in SE Asia, and didn't think this bus was all that out of the ordinary. However, the driver took the bumps much harder than he should have; perhaps because I was in the back row where there was zero suspension it was worse, however everyone in the back row was getting bumped high out of the bench seat regularly. The person in the second row got car sick a number of times on the ride as well. The radio was a Khmer talk radio that ran through all of the speakers throughout the ride. If you take this bus at least bring your own music/ headphones.

They do have wifi (albiet slow, it was nice to have). However, considering the price is comparable to the other busses, I would not recommend Golden Bayon.

Nhulunbuy, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden Bayon Express to Siam Reap?

I am on one as we speak from Battenbang to Phnom Penh. The van is very overloaded with suitcases piled all around us to the roof.

The driver is completely mad traveling at well over 130 kms/hr through towns and on the open roads, despite being asked to slow down.This is way to fast on these roads and with this amount of traffic. The speeds signs are 30 and 60 kms/hr, certainly not 130++

Yes the vans are new and yes they do have Wi Fi, which is good as you may wish to update your will if you get on one.

My advice after spending a bit of time in Cambodia and Vietnam is to take a big coach. They are a bit slower but in our experience they are very professional and will get you there safely.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, unless you have a death wish.

Brett

Zwolle, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden Bayon Express to Siam Reap?

We are on one at the moment going from Phnom Penh to Battambang. I can only agree with the earlier comments: the driver is terrible, is going way to fast, not listening to advice on going slower. Overtaking other traffic when he shouldn't. We were stuck in traffic jams in PP when we left and he probably has to make up for lost time. Limited leg space. 1 very short stop and 1 a bit longer for lunch. We booked through the hotel and were overcharged as well. We are nog going to use Golden Bayon again!

1 cambodian guy in the bus told us that these minivan companies are for fast travel, the big busses are slower, but probably safer?

nsw
Level Contributor
784 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden Bayon Express to Siam Reap?

I am going to Battambang in a few weeks and you couldn't pay me to go on these mini buses.

Bigger the better and safer.

Red

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
8 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golden Bayon Express to Siam Reap?

You cannot be referring to Golden Bayon, They have all 14 passenger Mercedes vans which have all been purchased in just under two years. That's how long they have been in business.