We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Funeral Regulations

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Funeral Regulations

Here with details of these regulations:

Best regards. Ian

Several government and Royal Palace regulations are going into effect today as part of the funeral procession for the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk.

Some will last the entire mourning period, from February 1 to 7, while others will expire earlier or remain in place for only a few moments during the cremation ceremony.

The funeral and seven days of mourning begin today, followed by the cremation on Monday.

As it’s a royal funeral, royal rule comes first. The palace is barring local and international tourists from visiting from today until the 7th.

“The Royal Palace wants to keep a quiet environment during the second period of mourning in order to express the latest respect to Samdech Ta [a reference to Sihanouk],” a palace security guard said on condition of anonymity.

According to an edict from the Ministry of Agriculture, poultry and other meat-sellers are forbidden from transporting their product in certain areas after 5am each morning.

The routes covered under the ban, which expires on February 6, go from the Cham Chao roundabout all the way up Russian Boulevard, and span the entire lengths of Norodom, Sihanouk and Sisowath boulevards.

The ministry claims the ban is not related to the four avian influenza deaths last month, but is meant to keep the roadside clean during the funeral procession and cremation.

Sonny Krishnan, communications officer with the World Health Organization in Cambodia, said a partial ban would not have a huge impact on public health in such a crowded setting.

“I think live poultry should be prevented from entering the city where there are large concentrations of people.”

Lasting the entire mourning period, national flags must fly at one-third below the top of the mast across the country, while entertainment activities, including TV and radio programs, will be suspended.

Finally, Prime Minister Hun Sen has ordered that on the day of the cremation itself, when the coffin is first lit with fire at 6pm, everyone around the country, tourists and locals included, must stop their car or pause to observe one minute of silence.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
380 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Funeral Regulations

Thankyou Ian for another informative post!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Funeral Regulations

Hello SFluvs2Travel,

I was on the phone last night to friends in Phnom Penh who have stalls in the night market. The markets, including the Phnom Penh Night Market, have been closed under these regulations. My friends complained that it was ok for all of the government officials who suffer no loss of salary but for the small stall holders, they still have to pay rent to keep their stalls in a market not open and if the market is not open then there can be no sales and no income for them. Not all are happy with these Regulations.

Best regards. Ian

Edited: 01 February 2013, 20:21
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
172 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Funeral Regulations

Oh no - I'm in Phnom Penh now leaving at 7am on the 4th. It sounds like I won't be able to visit the Russian market, central market or night market at all tomorrow the 3rd? :(

By the way - in case it helps anyone, I was walking today and around 2-5 they blocked off the streets closest to the palace from 172 down between Norodom and the river and wouldn't even let people through to their hotels or apartments, let alone the shops and restaurants i wanted to visit. The military were at the gates, not just police. Someone said it was the same yesterday. today it was because the prime minister was visiting. Perhaps this happens everyday from 2-5 so beware...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Funeral Regulations

Thank-you for posting this! We arrive in Phnom Penh on Monday the 4th in the afternoon.

I have just received an email from our hotel whilst trying to organise an airport shuttle that the road in front will be closed and we will have to walk a distance to the hotel. A walk is no problem of course but I am a little worried we might be stranded for hours with our suitcases.

We are only there for a night as a stop over to Sihanoukville and then have a few nights back in Phnom Penh at the end of our trip. I am wondering if we should either change hotels in Phnom Penh to one further from the palace, or not stay there at all on the 4th and head straight to Sihanoukville. Any thoughts?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Funeral Regulations

Head straight to sihanoukville if you can?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Funeral Regulations

Hello Khalessi,

I would be much inclined to avoid Phnom Penh altogether.

Especially so as the International Airport is outside the city and on the best side of the city for travelling to Sihanoukville.

Availability of a taxi is problematic to say the least as every form of transport is likely to be over booked during this period and prices far higher than normal due to excessive demand for transport.

Personally, not that I am a fan of Sihanoukville, I would be inclined to see if you can arrange for your Hotel/Guesthouse there to arrange for a taxi from SHV to be waiting for you on arrival at the PNH airport rather than taking pot luck about hiring one at the airport to take you to SHV.

Just my personal thoughtsews on this matter.

Best regards. Ian

Edited: 02 February 2013, 21:05
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Funeral Regulations

If you manage to get a taxi, as Ian says, it could be a problem and more expensive than normal, even if you just head for Kampot? It's about 2.5 hours from the airport and you could continue the journey on to sihanoukville the next day? Just a thought?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Funeral Regulations

Thank-you so much for all your replies.

I'm trying to organise a change of dates with my (non-refundable) hotel booking in Phnom Penh for Monday. Hopefully they'll be more flexible than booking.com suggest.

I'd love to go straight to Kep but have also booked non-refundable (!) accommodation in Sihanoukville for Tuesday...

We're leaving from Melbourne today and I thought I was so organised! I feel so silly I did not expect to be doing this last minute.

Thank-you again for your help everyone.

nanette447
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Funeral Regulations

We are leaving Battambang today en route to kep, with overnight stay in phnom pehn. Our hotel is on 258 street, I'm expecting the access to be difficult, will post details of just how difficult when we finally arrive

nanette447
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Funeral Regulations

Finally arrived, taxi driver couldn't find hotel, so drove around lost then transferred us into a tuk tuk. It's nowhere near as busy as I was worried about, pleased we didn't go straight to kep