We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning about PP Sorya Bus lines!!

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Topic
Warning about PP Sorya Bus lines!!

We travelled from Siem Reap to PP on Sorya a few days ago.

The trip was terrible - the AC broke 10kms in, my seat was broken and we had to put up with loud and obnoxious Sorya staff getting drunk in the back seat.

However, what potential passengers should be really concerned about is that a staff member stole items from one of our backpacks while it was in the hold. The bags are kept on the bottom floor of a double decker bus, rather than in an area only accessible by a door on the outside of the bus.

He stole a camera, head torch and a stubbie holder (beer cooler). He also broke a zip on a smaller bag inside the backpack, presumably looking for valuables. We're kicking ourselves for having the camera in that bag (out of our sight), but it's still disgraceful behaviour by Sorya. The backpack was locked, but the compartment still accessible from the top. We'll be carefully using cable ties from now on.

I've contacted the company, but haven't received a reply.

Don't do it to yourself! Drunken, unprofessional thieves.

86 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Warning about PP Sorya Bus lines!!

Narna, I used Soryia to get to Mondulkiri from SR, and I think the go there from PP as well.

I actually took another bus company for the trip from Sen Monorom to PP, cannot remember the name of the company. It started with R.

There shouldn't be an issue getting a ticket. Either ask your hotel, or use one of the local agencies. It worked fine for me both in SR and Mondulkiri.

nsw
Level Contributor
784 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Warning about PP Sorya Bus lines!!

I travelled with Sorya on Sunday PP to Battambang and I have to say it was good. Sorry to the doubters but I am with Angkorlad here, pay peanuts?

I did book two seats which was still a pitiful $12 and I think that's great value.

I am traveling to Siem Reap tomorrow on them so I will post again.

If you aren't happy with the quality hire a taxi or minivan but I don't have a death wish and would quite honestly prefer to do a 12 hr trip in a Tuk than get in one of them!

Red

Brisbane...
4 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Warning about PP Sorya Bus lines!!

Thanks Vicki for the info :)

Phnom Pen, Phnum...
1 post
Save Reply
24. Re: Warning about PP Sorya Bus lines!!

Me come yestuday from SNV and I am happy to be still am live.... Creazy Driver - Over loud musik and extra BONUS.... hundersa of Mosquitos in the bus...... DISASTER thank you Sorya - NEVER AGAIN !

Edited: 07 January 2014, 17:13
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
124 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Warning about PP Sorya Bus lines!!

poor country=bad bus services. Why do tourists have to moan so much when clearly the OP caused their own problems by leaving their bags in the storage area! If you want luxury and safety as a priority stay in Europe. Go to Spain, don't stray too far or you might experience life as others live it!Maybe I should set up a business to put tourists in bubble wrap to protect them from the world that scares them so much!!

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Warning about PP Sorya Bus lines!!

I have traveled Sorya busline MANY times (in excess of 24 trips). It is the only bus to access some of the communities I travel to. I have traveled with my suitcase, medical supplies and teaching supplies in the bottom hold of the bus and I have NEVER had anything stolen.(I have never used locks nor ties.) I keep my lap top and camera with me in my day pack, but that is because the dust which permeates the luggage hold is pretty bad. Some buses are in better condition than others. I bring ear plugs and something good to read. Staff have always been respectful and helpful. I am a middle aged woman who has made all of these treks alone. Never once was I worried. Now- I do tend to bring my own snack food and water when I am traveling to Cambodia's extremely rural areas.

Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Warning about PP Sorya Bus lines!!

1st time in vietnam & quickly booked this company to go from Saigon to phnom Penh: BIG SCAM - AVOID!!->

-very old bus

-wifi not working

-getting WORSE: from start trip no airco during 3h trip to Bavet border with Cambodia at 38 degrees celsius=> everybody complaining => only AFTER crossing border when stopping at crappy resto in Cambodia driver decided to STOP so we all needed to leave the bus & WAIT until new one arrives..had to Come from SAIGON so we LOST 3 HOURS for a problem they knew from beginning!!

=>result: COMPLETE DAY LOST, other passengers who booked 2nd bus to siem reap or shinoukville lost connection so were left alone in Phnom Penh..luckily we already had hotel there but yes AVOID THIS COMPANY & Book at more reliable mekong Express..company nor driver even offered apologies!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Warning about PP Sorya Bus lines!!

We took sorya from PP to Kratie the other day. Supposed to take 6 hours but as the bus stopped regularly for long durations on the way it took over 8 hours! Add this to the fact that the bus was very late to leave PP in the first place and our ETA went from 13:30 to around 16:30! This is unacceptable and surely a bit embarrassing for a transport company who's sole job is get you from one place to another in line with a pre-determined schedule.

The second issue I have with sorya is that I tried to book tickets with them recently in sen monorom and the employees were all playing cards in the office and the one guy that came to talk to us spoke no English and was blind drunk, slurring his words and swaying! Their 'office' there is a joke. It's nothing more than a room with a bed in it and a scruffy little banner outside.

All in all, a very unprofessional operation to say the least!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Warning about PP Sorya Bus lines!!

Thanks for the warning

Going there xsoon

Wanted to book Sorya Bus lines!!!

willnot book until management replies

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,635 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Warning about PP Sorya Bus lines!!

Hello alexlondon,

I go to and from Kratie/Kratcheh from time to time and last went there on Tuesday 29th April 2014 and travelled on a Phnom Penh Sorya Bus. PP Sorya is indeed a local bus company that well serves the diverse needs of the Cambodian population traveling this route and onwards to Strung Treng in most cases on the same bus. In addition, given that this is a bus trip with a minimum distance of 340 km to Kratie and how little we as foreigners pay for this service just what do you expect for your money in a developing country?

Sure, foreigners sometimes pay an extra KHR 10,000 US$2-50 on the ticket price if they buy them in person and not unjustly given that generally speaking we are heavier and travel heavier than the locals do and, in so many cases don't speak a word of Khmer but demand service and attention in our own language. Quite frankly, for how little we pay for a bus trip of this distance we get remarkable good value and a great travel experience. Oh, and these buses also carry pre-paid freight for those in need along the route and excess baggage for some on the bus as well. This all helps to keep the country ticking over and especially so for the remoter rural population.

Yes, my north bound trip took seven and a half hours but so what? This is not and never has been a point to point timetable service and these journeys take as long as they take. So what? This is a developing country. The roads are not so great and the bus companies with their frequent stopping to let people and goods on and off are a logistic lifeline for those along the route.

Apart from the "Big Two" bus companies, timetables are indicative only and even with them some "flexibility" prevails.

If you want Pullman or Greyhound then go and pay for it but personal experience tells me that "Riding the Dog" is no great shakes either.

Oh, and I am returning to Kratcheh on 19th October and I will not have the slightest hesitation in travelling on PP Sorya.

Best regards. Ian

Reply to: Warning about PP Sorya Bus lines!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted