We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

halal food & latest shopping info

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Selangor
14 posts
Save Topic
halal food & latest shopping info

Hi..I am Filaz fr Malaysia. I am muslim. This is my first time to go Phnom Penh on 28/03/13. I would like to know the latest info :

1) list of halal restaurant posible with the address

2) WE Xport shopping mall, O'Russey market

3) price of tuk tuk for sight seing (museum, royal palace, silver pagoda etc) fr my hotel. I will stay at Billabong hotel

4) did the hotel keep our passport

5) where to buy fabric (cotton, cambodia silk, chiffon)

Thank you.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,767 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: halal food & latest shopping info

Slamat pagi Filaz. Apakhabar?

Filaz, I've held off responding to your posting in the hope and expectation that members of your own faith familiar with Cambodia and the Halal requirements would respond and advise you and provide you with some starting restaurant names and addresses.

However, as this has not happened please let me use your posting to respond, in part, and to widen the topic slightly and, possibly, stimulate better informed responses than my own.

You will have no difficulty at all in finding Halal food and Muslim restaurants in greater Phnom Penh and the immediate surrounding provinces, as this is more or less where the circa 370 Muslim communities are clustered. In fact, there is a long history of Khmer Muslims in Cambodia and Khmer Muslims originate from the former Champa Kingdom and those from peninsula Malaya/Malaysia and who still speak both Khmer and an early form of Bahasa Malaya, of which I still recall a tiny bit from my days in Malaya, comprise circa 4 to 5 % of the population of Cambodia and number circa close to half a million Khmers of this faith.

In fact, one of my Tour/Tourist Assistants, Ms. Keo Davy, has very recently been kept rather busy assisting two members of a Masjid/Mosque in Malaysia establish contact with several of these Muslim communities and undertake a preliminary community survey/Community Development plan to assist these communities further.

So having set the scene for the general readership, and knowing that we have a number of Muslim readers of this Forum, I would invite them to take over from here.

Filaz, you certainly will not have difficulty in finding Halal/Muslim restaurants in Phnom Penh area. It's just that i can not personally name any and tell you their addresses.

Sama-sama.

With all best regards. Ian

Edited: 24 March 2013, 02:56
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,320 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: halal food & latest shopping info

Sorry filaz, I can only answer two of your questions. No, the hotel does not keep your passport.

About the price of tuk tuks, Just for a short trip in the inner city area it will be only $1 or $2. The average fair price for a whole day out and about would be $15 - $20, but I think $20 is more reasonable because of the increases in prices in recent times. For half a day it should be about $12 - $15. There will be plenty of tuk tuk drivers everywhere.

Do make sure you take plenty of small denomination US dollars in good condition with you.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: halal food & latest shopping info

filaz, r u travelling alone or with friends?

Putrajaya, Malaysia
Level Contributor
13 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: halal food & latest shopping info

hi filaz,

for halal food...i have some info that could help you..

- KFC.. in Cambodia are Halal and also cheap..

- Street 173 Sangkat Toul Svey Pray. Leston Paris Restaurant.. Infront of Masjid Jame' Saad bin Abi Wakkas

- Street 114 Sangkat Phsar Thmei. Mamak Corner.. Owner is a mamak from Ampang..

- Monivong Boulevard. D' Nyonya Penang.. On ground floor of Hotel Grand Plaza.. Price a bit expensive

- Monivong Boulevard. D'Wau Restaurant.. On ground floor of New York Hotel.. Same with above

- Street 86 Bung Kork. Tasnim Restaurant.. Its near to Dubai Mosque..also this street got a few other Muslim Halal Restaurant

- Street 118 Sangkat Phsar Thmei. Cafe Malaya.. Owner is from Perlis.. Buffet Style Malaysian food.. USD4 for buffet price

- Street 130 Sisowath Quay. Halal Restaurant.. Malay Cham people.. got another Halal shop in front of the restaurant..

- Street 99 Norodom Boulevard. Sarpino's Pizzeria .. The only halal pizza in Cambodia.. its also near to KFC

PP
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: halal food & latest shopping info

I'm also interested to know where WE Xport shop is, and the opening hours, thank you!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: halal food & latest shopping info

FYI, W Export is now known as F.O.S..

just opposite the Russian Market..the same row with KFC restaurant.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: halal food & latest shopping info

Leston Paris is the best place for pho in Cambodia. And it's halal. Can't beat that!

Kuala Lumpur
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: halal food & latest shopping info

hi does anyone know is there any halal dining inside the airport of Phnom Penh?

Edited: 26 November 2013, 08:38
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: halal food & latest shopping info

Thanks Chubitz. I appreciate the info.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: halal food & latest shopping info

Hi there, there's a halal restaurant called Taste of Asia in Phnom Penh International Airport after custom checkpoint. :-)

Edited: 13 March 2014, 21:54