We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thunderstorms & Power Surges : Damage to Electronic Devices

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,487 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Thunderstorms & Power Surges : Damage to Electronic Devices

On 24 April, whilst staying at the Blue Lime hotel, Phnom Penh, we had a short - circa 50 minutes long, but very intense, electrical/thunderstorm. This storm, as usual, turned many of the streets in Phnom Penh in to instant rivers for several hours.

However, this same storm very clearly demonstrated the dangers and power of electro-magnetic pulses/power surges in that it "knocked out" the four computers in the reception area of the Blue Lime that were switched on at that time and destroyed six flat screen TVs in use in various rooms.

I am glad to say that the PC's have all been repaired and are now back in use again for house guests. Indeed, I am writing this on one of them.

But if you have sensitive or valuable electronic equipment please be sure to switch of this equipment and unplug from the power point during strong electrical storms if you wish to avoid damage or destruction of these devices.

Khmers, quite sensibly, will not even use their mobile/cell phones during thunder storms.

All best regards. Ian

Camp Phnom Penh @ Blue Lime for the next few days.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thunderstorms & Power Surges : Damage to Electronic Devices

Thanks Ian, great advice.

We too are currently in PP @the Kabiki. Heading to SR in the morning.

Cheers Bron

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thunderstorms & Power Surges : Damage to Electronic Devices

Good advice Ian you don't think to unplug from the power point you just usually just switch them off.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thunderstorms & Power Surges : Damage to Electronic Devices

i am amazed they dont have surge protectors installed.just set them in between the power supply and the device in use.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thunderstorms & Power Surges : Damage to Electronic Devices

Yeah! yeah!...have a power board with a surge protector incorporated.

What I would like to know is...............

did the lady at the Blue Lime, give you an upgrade?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,487 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thunderstorms & Power Surges : Damage to Electronic Devices

Hello Grahame,

No upgrades so far this trip : (

Lady Geraldine is on home leave in the Philippines and the former manageress from the Pavilion is standing in. Besides, the Blue Lime is full and I was very lucky to get a couple of cancelled rooms.

Off to Kampot at 08:00 am in the morning using the Giant Ibis (GI) newish service there.

Also test driving the GI hotel pick-up service although I normally do not use these services as I prefer to go directly and independently to the bus departure point.

Just back from ticketing for round trip at their main office alongside the Phnom Penh Night Market, Street # 106. A much better set up office than the crummy office in Siem Reap.

Probably spend a day in Kep as well.

Best regards to you and the Chef. Ian

Cheers. Ian

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thunderstorms & Power Surges : Damage to Electronic Devices

Ian, if you have the opportunity, you must pop into the Frangipani in Kampot and say hello to Paul.

Paul is a retired school teach from Sydney town and great fun. The cook/chef thinks his chef/cook is something special.

I think having a $2 happy hour Jug, watching the sunset boat races is somewhat special.

ps: the chef says, hooray! but wants to know if a pay rise comes with the promotion.

Have fun Ian, we love Kampot and hope you will as well.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,487 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thunderstorms & Power Surges : Damage to Electronic Devices

Thanks, Grahame,

I'll probably do all of those things as I have the time as I do not return to PP until late Monday.

When In Battambang at the BOC - Battambang Ophthalmic Care - Cambodian NGO I was fully committed time wise. The BOC has done a fantastic job rehabilitating the old, large, unused, building we moved to. Everything is a great credit to them and their Operating Theatre is the best in Cambodia. The Cambodian Ministry of Health Inspectors were very impressed and said so.

But as always, it is the smaller, but also essential, items we can never find sponsors for, for things such as several White Boards of several sizes; Steel-framed group of 4 persons seating sets@ $80. per set and we need 10 sets to 12 sets; Student study chairs with fold over writing tablet @ $42 each for the training centre room and we need 30 each. But to regain sight people are long suffering and just sit on the floor until we can sort these deficiencies out. It's the same for the student health workers from the small hamlets. They to have to sit on the floor and take notes as best they can. Far from ideal but a reality just at the moment. The terrible thing is that I could very probably equip the large patient waiting room and the training centre room from my half yearly local council household clean up! Inshala - we shall get there before year end.

However, I did manage to go and confirm the location of the shop I get my gin and Schweppes tonic from. It's just as I described to you but only the second, not third, left turn street towards the river. It's impossible to miss as it is the big American School corner and with enough stars and stripes for 4th July!

I've still to check out the other two new grog shops for you but it's all sad news about good rums for you so far.

As for the promotion of the Cook to Chef I shall leave the increase in pay to be negotiated internally!

Best regards. Ian

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thunderstorms & Power Surges : Damage to Electronic Devices

Thanks for that Ian. If all else fails there's still the Western market up near the Big Durian in Kampot. Or! when we're in Siem Reap, The Angkor Trade Center and a small Bottle Shop next door stock La Mauny Martinique.

It's only a short stroll from there, back to the City River Hotel.

I'll just have to make sure it's the real McCoy up on the pool deck before wrapping them securely for transport across the border into Thailand.

God willing Ian, if enough generous travelers pass through Battambang, and pay a visit to the BOC, that wish list won't take long to whittle away.

Have fun

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,487 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thunderstorms & Power Surges : Damage to Electronic Devices

Hello again Grahame,

I've just found an interesting new wine and single malts bar - Bar Sito!

Forget the whisky as I do not drink it. But any new wine bar in Phnom Penh is a cause for celebration.

It's in Street 240 and almost at the junction of Street 19 behind the Royal Palace.

Correct address is 32 EO, Street 240.

Go to the (Wine) Warehouse and three shop fronts towards the British High Commissioner's Residence is a small, unmarked , lane way. A bit like entering for the Blue Lime but narrower still. Go down the lane until what appears to be the end but isn't and there on your right is a fine metal name plate and a very sturdy wood door. It's only open 5pm until 11 pm. What with the cheap wine bar right on the corner of Streets 19 and 240 and the very fine wine shop, wine bar and fine dining Red Apron next door but one, this end of 240 Street is developing most interestingly. And all an easy walk from any of the Blue Lime, Pavilion or Kabiki hotels.

I'm going to check it out this evening as I found it out of opening hours.

It has wines from most of the world and a special selection of New Zealand wines.

Hardly surprising really as it has just been opened by a New Zealander.

Best regards. Ian

10. Re: Thunderstorms & Power Surges : Damage to Electronic Devices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 06:19