We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arranging private car from PP to SR

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Arranging private car from PP to SR

Hi all

Travelling with a family of 5, inc 2 kids under 5, next April, and looking for advice on car bookings. We're only in PP for 2 full days, is this enough time to organise a car to SR in person or am I safer to arrange beforehand? If do, should I go through the hotel for this or can anyone recommend a site?

Are there car seat rules in Cambodia for young children? And is it easy to book a larger car that will fit all of us and luggage? Sorry if this sounds very basic but I've read in forums here that most cars are only small (eg camrys).

It sounds quite daunting really and even though I'd like us to see the countryside maybe WD should just fly?!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arranging private car from PP to SR

Hello Rachel,

There are several components to your question.

Time Available to book a vehicle is certainly adequate and your hotel/guesthouse can certainly arrange a vehicle for you within this time if you ask them to do so on your arrival.

Vehicles available - Yes, most vehicles are on the smaller size in Cambodia but there again so are the people. A group of five (5) plus luggage, will not be a good fit at all in a typical car/taxi in Cambodia for such a long journey of 314 km.

Also, there are no seat belt laws in Cambodia and no child seats with restraint in general use in Cambodia. This may be of concern to you and your partner given the tender ages of your children.

Car vs Van. I am not an advocate of small and light vehicles for family or other travel in Cambodia where the general rule for safety is to use the largest and heaviest there is available and to only use one of the two better bus companies. But a van may suit your family requirements far better than using a car.

Car vs Airline. If you have not already looked at the cost of air travel within Cambodia I suggest you do so. On a cents per kilometre it is very expensive indeed.

So there is quite a bit of food for thought for you to work your way through in deciding what is the best thing for your family to do.

Best regards. Ian

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arranging private car from PP to SR

Thank you very much Ian - I was hoping you would reply, as I've read some of your other informative answers already!

I have looked at flights and understand the price difference, although I was considering the drive to SR and then returning by plane to connect out of PP to get home (maximising the time in SR). In terms of the drive again, your experience is that organising a larger car/can with only 2 days notice shouldn't be a problem even though most cars are smaller? Would you recommend I contact the hotel in advance though?

I had thought of a private car because our youngest is not the sort who can normally sit quietly for hours at a time and I didn't want to annoy other passengers on a bus! But I'll review your previous posts for tips on the two bus companies

Lastly although we are hoping to do the drive to see some of the country side, I have almost idea of what is 'along' the roadside en route. Are there one or two places you would recommend stoping? I was going to just rely in the driver and his discretion, but you've already been so helpful!

With thanks :)

Edited: 02 September 2013, 23:41
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arranging private car from PP to SR

Hello again Rachael,

The problem travelling along RN 6 is that you have kids with you and for this reason alone, I am of the view that apart from toilet and food stops you are well advised to get this trip over and done with at a sensible and safe speed in a comfortable van. A van will give the kids the space they need to help them pass the time between stops and give you the room for the various bags etc.

A good van hire tend to be circa 2.25 to 2.5 times more expensive than the typical Camry Taxi with/without an LPG/Propane tank fitted in the boot/trunk of the vehicle and further reducing the limited luggage space.

I fully understand and greatly appreciate your position about your kids on buses and the potential annoyance to other travellers. As a very frequent bus traveller within Cambodia and for cross-border trips I thank you for your consideration of other travellers.

If you have already booked a hotel then I would suggest that you ask them to get several Good Van and English speaking driver quotes for you. The range and quality of vans varies considerably as do the language skills of the drivers. Over the past year or so some very good and comfortable second hand Mercedes vans have come on to the market in Cambodia from South Korea and last year I travelled in one with friends from Kg Chhnang to Battambang and was rather impressed. But they are not cheap and this trip cost $95 for the entire van departing at the time we sought but split five ways was a most comfortable way to travel in our case.

But how to break the journey and keep the kids amused is the major problem and I shall leave this to others to advise as my kids are no longer kids and the several attractions that may be of interest to some adults will be just plain boring for young kids.

All best regards. Ian

Edited: 03 September 2013, 00:17
Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arranging private car from PP to SR

We use cambodian travel partner owned by lily and andre . Have look at their web site . They can organise any type of vehicle you wish to use and give you execellent advise . We are heading back to phnom penh in november for lilys sister's wedding. Their family also run a restraunt (fathers in seam reap).give them and email and they will give you a very reasonable quote.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arranging private car from PP to SR

Thank you again Ian, you must get bored giving everyone such detailed advice but so appreciated! It is making a difference to how I plan the trip starting with my PP bookings tomorrow

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arranging private car from PP to SR

Thank you again Ian, you must get bored giving everyone such detailed advice but so appreciated! It is making a difference to how I plan the trip starting with my PP bookings tomorrow

7. Re: Arranging private car from PP to SR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 06:26