We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Phnom Penh

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Townsville...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Phnom Penh

On the 26th September 2013 the Australian Government posted a warning to all tourists travelling to Phnom Penh. 'Exercise Extreme Caution'. The warning was based on the fact there has been numerous assaults and robberies reported against tourists. On the 13th of September 2013 Improvised Explosive devices were found. There have also been reported large protests through the city. The question is has the unrest settled down or is it escalating? Are tourists safe or should tourists just avoid Phnom Penh?

siem reap
Level Contributor
493 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Phnom Penh

Blown all out of proportion.The most dangerous thing about PP is being out late at night.Same as any other city you have some people up to no good and the thing that kills more people than anything else,drunk drivers.If you stay out late take a taxi.Much safer than a tuk tuk,that might also be drunk,and only a little bit more money.I lived there for years.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Phnom Penh

The explosives did not go off and were possibly directed at the internal forces not tourists!

There is another protest at the end of the month but l know it would nto stopme going.

I agree with above. Excercise your normal common sense and politeness and you should be fine.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Phnom Penh

I returned from PP recently and can't complain about safety at all. I did not see or hear about any unrest or felt for my safety in any way. I would not hesitate in going back again.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Phnom Penh

Honestly, Dave A, why is it NOT safe?

Just read recent posting on this topic. Get some facts!

I arrive back in Cambodia in 8 days time and do not have a qualm in the world.

Just stay well away from any large gatherings and go about enjoying yourself in the normal way.

Rgds. Ian

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Phnom Penh

I agree with everyone else. I have taken my family there twice, last time this July. I feel very safe in Cambodia don't listen to all the hype, go and have fun! We don't go out late at night anyway, we have a friend who has lived in Phnom Penh for 12 years so we will keep on going back. We sponsor a child for English lessons too. Just avoid large crowds but the Cambodian people are lovely. I took my 2 teenagers and they love the country too.

There is crime in every city in the world, just make good decisions and be alert just like you would if you decided to walk in a capital city here in the middle of the night.

You must hire a moto in Kampot and drive up Bokor Mountain, it was the highlight of our last trip teenagers loved it.

Brookline
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Phnom Penh

Hello Dave,

I was there in September and I agree with the other posters that the news was blown out of proportion. I would not recommend walking around PP late at night, but otherwise felt it was as safe as any other major city in SE asia.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
58 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Phnom Penh

There are a ton of purse snatchings in the middle of the day and at night. In front of hotels, offices, inside cafes, and on the streets. That's annoying but not usually dangerous but there have been a handful of foreigners who have been robbed and shot this year. It happens. There are also large political rallies which almost ensures there will be some violence. And you can't tell where the rallies will be or where they'll march to - so it can be dangerous. Plus traffic backs up. Siem Reap and the Angkor complex should be fine for tourists outside of the usual pick-pocketing and purse snatchings.

Singapore
Level Contributor
183 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Phnom Penh

Not unsafe. But do be careful - basically stay indoors after 9pm.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Phnom Penh

Stay indoors after 9pm? are you kidding? PP is just the same as everywhere else theres' purse snatching and pickpocketing in all places but if you use the usual caution that you would anywhere else like leaving the jewellery at home and carrying only cash cash around with you that you'll need for the evening then it won't be a problem.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel to Phnom Penh

#7, Gee, that sounds reassuring! :-o

#8, that is ridiculous! :-/