We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Scarborough
Level Contributor
105 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

Hi all

Im going to be in thailand before i come cambodia, would it be easier to get dollars before i travel or would it be easier to change baht in cambodia, many thanks in advance

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

I changed £200 into US$ at our local Thos Cook before we left UK. Insist on new(ish) low denomination notes $10, $5 and $1.

Then we just changed £sterling as we needed. We used Canadia Bank in PP and SR, using £20 notes, but make sure they're in good nick and don't have any writing on them. Also check the US$ you are given in return.

When we arrived at BKK airport from UK I changed £100 to bahts at the Kasikorn Bank, which offers the best ROE. It's on the right as you enter the ARL concourse...

kasikornbank.com/EN/…FXBoot_Suwannaphum.aspx

We took our debit card as back-up, but never used it. Make sure you tell your card provider the countries you intend visiting.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

I don't like carrying a lot of cash nor face the uncertainties of currency exchange so we use ATMs almost exclusively taking out a reasonable amount in each country to cover our needs. Check with your bank regarding international exchange and fees (some don't charge them).

We use bank ATMs to minimize any transaction fees and determine which ones to look for before hand. We find this is less expensive per transaction then the often unreliable currency exchange establishments.

Though the Riel is the official currency and the USD is the de facto currency, some vendors will take your leftover Baht due to the proximity of the Thai border.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

You will be able to change Baht into US Dollars once in Cambodia or you can do it in Thailand, but don't it at Airport as rates are usually lower that at the bank in town or a money changer.

Up to you if you want to travel with a wad of US or just use the ATM's once in Cambodia.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
60 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

If you need a lot of dollars for Cambodia, then the ATMs would be good but you'll be paying $3-4 in Cambodia (plus anything from your own bank). If you just need money for a few days of travel, then I would say it would be easier to get USD in Thailand. But be sure to get small denominations too. If you end up changing money in Cambodia, then you'd have to find a large gold shop near a market to get a good rate. Either that, or some small shop money exchange outside any large wet market - or a bank.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

Canadia Bank ATMs do not charge any local $3-5 dollar cash withdrawal fees. You still need to pay any charges your card issuer and/or bank may impose on foreign cash withdrawals. My latest experience was that Canadia ATMs also can handle debit card withdrawals using combined debit/credit cards, so you can avoid the cash advance fees imposed by many credit card issuers.

Scarborough
Level Contributor
105 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

Hi mate

Cheers for all the info, will get some changed here in uk before i leave, how much would be enough for 4 days in PP, not big drinkers and hotel already paid. Was thinking £300 be enough.

Singapore
Level Contributor
299 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency

The de facto exchange rate is US$1 = 4000 riels. You can simply use USD in all transactions. However, street side vendors don't typically have change for $100 notes or even $10 at times. So it's good to get small change if you opt to use USD. But if you worry about carry a thick wad of USD, then just go to any local market, ask any stallholder where you can get someone to change your money to riel. They should give you a rate of US$1 = 4200 riel. Note that they usually will not accept marked USD notes. You should therefore try to bring in clean notes with no marks. They will tell you that the banks will give them a lower rate for notes that have marks on them - this includes pencil or pen marking, torn notes, patched notes (with tape), etc. And I have learnt to just use the local currency... at any rate, you can always get it changed back to USD when you leave. You won't lose very much. You probably get a return exchange rate of about US$1 = 3800 riel. Oh and do note that no coins are used in Cambodia, so the small denomination riel notes are more or less used as small change. If you haven't noticed 100 riel = 2.5 cents... so you can simply donate your riel in small denominations to the Red Cross Box at the airport before you leave if you find it a hassle to get an exchange back to USD. It would be much appreciated.

Edited: 01 November 2013, 13:38
8. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 05:18