We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mekong Express

Calgary AB Canada
Level Contributor
372 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Mekong Express

Thinking of taking Mekong Express to Siem Reap (and maybe Sihanoukville). Anyone taken it - would travel during the day so we could see countryside. Is it a good bus - are roads good - bathrooms on board?

Thanks for your help

siem reap
Level Contributor
512 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mekong Express

Second best full size bus company.Bathrooms on board.No seat belts on the last one I took a couple of months ago.Good safety record.

Calgary AB Canada
Level Contributor
372 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mekong Express

What is the first best bus?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mekong Express

Giant ibis

REDDITCH
Level Contributor
30 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mekong Express

Don't believe what Mekong Express say. I chose to us them, from Saigon to Phnom Penh, even at the higher price they charge for the convince of Wi-Fi. Great I can book my hotel on the way and do some planning. This was going to save me having toput other time aside to do. Bus turn up, yes it was clean but a bit tired, but I can live with that. Once we were underway I asked for the Wi-Fi code but I was told that they did not have Wi-Fi on the bus. When I said we had paid an extra $3 each (compared to other companies) I was told to go to their office once we arrived in Phnom Penh. When I went to there office they told me that there was a problem with their Wi-Fi but I had been told that the bus did not have Wi-Fi. They just ignored me.

The 'snack box' was a pack of crackers you could have bought for 15,000 Dong and a small bottle of water. I do not believe that it is worth paying 30% more than other companies. As for customer service, start listening to customers and advertise only what you can fulfill.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mekong Express

Hello Guesstheguest,

Welcome to the forum.

But perhaps when, as a first time poster to forum, you have more experience of the cross-border and internal bus operators to/from and within Cambodia, of which there are a considerable number, which by the way is still an emerging country, you will change your opinions. You are fortunate that you did spend a few extra dollars rather than going for some of the cheaper and, dare I say it, more lethal options. Next time try taking one of the cheap bus companies. Three bucks eh! What a cheap complainer. How many kilometres did you get to travel for your $13? Darned good value if you arrived more or less on time and in one piece.

So you missed your Wi-Fi! What a hardship!

Nothing to have stopped you phoning ahead using a cheap local SIM card available at the border crossing and at the restaurant you stopped at to make those bookings etc you claim to have been unable to have done.

But even if that particular bus had been Wi-Fi enabled, and most of the Mekong Express bus fleet is now so enabled, you still would have had lots of "dead spots" along the route regardless of which bus company you travelled on regardless of wether the bus was wi-fi enabled or not.

Welcome to SE Asia and developing countries.

Rgds. Ian

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mekong Express

Yes . And really in the end . What's 3 bucks ?......But hey welcome to the forum.

Ba Ria-Vung Tau...
Level Contributor
883 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mekong Express

i travel mekong every time to cambodia never heard of a wifi surcharge maybe the booking agent ripped you off for 3 dollars ..crackers are great give them to the kids on the ferry crossing.they will on sell them i think like ian says welcome to SEA

rgds jack m

Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mekong Express

HI we traveled on both and would recommend either, Both clean,cheap and safe. Enjoy Chris

REDDITCH
Level Contributor
30 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mekong Express

Thanks for your comments. You may be interested to know. I have travelled extensively and am over a year in to my current trip. I have been on several boarder crossing, not just in SEA but also Central & South America.. I've travelled within Cambodia since with Phnom Penhsorya Transport Company, who were less expensive and supplied what they promised

It's not the money that is the problem here (30% more is quite a difference though) it's customer service and not delivering on what is promised, f. It was the fact I specified that I needed Wi-Fi and was assured that it would be on the bus. I was pretty much ignored by the staff when complaining, Yes, I do know that at least one of their buses has wi-fi , I have spoken to someone who has been fortunate enough to have it on a journey with them.

After all if a business says it is supplying something it should supply it. The fact that they had no Wi-Fi caused me inconvenience. The staff did not want to listen when I told them.

If I'd over promised to my customers I think they would be displeased. Good business is to make sure everybody (company and customer) leave smiling.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mekong Express

Hello GUESStheGUEST,

Just loosen up/lighten up in SE Asia/Indo China.

You just don't get it do you?

This is NOT REDDITCH, ok. Which Redditch by the way? You don't say?

Because if the UK one I come from just down the road from you.

So, please, just get over it and dismount!

Best regards. Ian

Get answers to your questions about Phnom Penh