We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at Phnom Penh airport and being scammed with visas

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving at Phnom Penh airport and being scammed with visas

After arriving at the airport the first thing you must do is head to Visa application area . Everyone fills out a form and waits in lines to pay . Giving them the application form , passport and passport size photos we stand in another line to pay . The cost on the wall says US $20 each for a tourist visa . We are charged $50 for two . When we query this we are told repeatedly no this is the cost . We decided not to argue with official government workers . After speaking to many other tourists in the line to pick up the luggage we were told the same thing . Many different charges were applied unless you had exactly the correct currency of $40 for two people instead of $100 US and expecting to get change . You might say $10 is not much but with a plane arriving every few minutes and with possibly every person coming thru being overcharged $5 that cost could be $1000s per day . I think it is a scam thru everyone working there so it would be of no use telling authorities . Just another rip off that you expect to absorb but hope that corruption will one day be abolished but know that will never happen

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,794 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at Phnom Penh airport and being scammed with visas

HI Catherine

sorry your first impressions of Cambodia were soured this way but there are dozens of posts on this forum about having the 'correct money'

Now that you have discovered TA I hope you will be able to read up on these kinds of issues before future trips.

cheers

helen

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at Phnom Penh airport and being scammed with visas

There is something not quite right about this posting.

Firstly, the price for a Tourist Visa is, indeed, USD$20 and payable in USD.

Now, with every visa issued there is also issued an official receipt headed ...Ministry of Interior - General Department of Logistics and Finance - Official Receipt. And on this receipt is the amount of money paid for that particular visa. So Visa fee and Receipt have to be the same. A visa can not be issued without a receipt and a receipt can not be issued without a visa.

That you paid USD$50 for two visas would tend to indicate that you may have applied for and been granted "Ordinary" Visas aka Business Visas which are, indeed USD$25 each.

I just wonder which box you ticked on your visa application form?

I do not for one moment believe that you have been cheated by the line of visa processing officials.

Best regards. Ian

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,175 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at Phnom Penh airport and being scammed with visas

I hope the OP can confirm which Visa they got

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at Phnom Penh airport and being scammed with visas

I haven't ever heard of anyone being overcharged for a visa at the Phnom Penh airport. I too suspect you may have gotten an "ordinary" visa instead of a tourist visa.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
125 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at Phnom Penh airport and being scammed with visas

I know that it's poipet but I crossed this border a few months ago and they were insistent that they wanted a higher price than the visa amount written over their heads. I just politely refused and blocked up the que. Eventually the border guys gave in.. Perhaps they are bringing in the same scams at PP airport? Im sure these guys know how to spot a newb traveller!

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving at Phnom Penh airport and being scammed with visas

Poipet and other land crossings are well know for this sort of thing, but as I said, I've never heard of anything like this at Phnom Penh Airport and suspect it was a misunderstanding. They should have a receipt or visa number that will tell them what visa type they got.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
125 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving at Phnom Penh airport and being scammed with visas

You could be right but once upon a time this kind of thing was unheard of in poi pet.. I guess we will know if the OP replies!

san clemente, CA
Level Contributor
28 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving at Phnom Penh airport and being scammed with visas

I used the e-visa for my last visit. That may be the way to go in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving at Phnom Penh airport and being scammed with visas

Well Ian I did indeed tick tourist visa box . My visa was also stamped $20 US and I paid in US dollars . I also had my own passport photos .I asked many people at the bag retrieval area and they all said the same some even paid more . It is indeed a scam and the only advice I could offer is have the correct currency of $20 each . I think it's a big shame that a government run business is so corrupt and I don't think it stops at the workers at the visa line , I'm sure it goes all the way to the top

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving at Phnom Penh airport and being scammed with visas

That's correct and after arguing and holding up the que and getting now where but blank stares I decided not to push the issue I deffinately got a tourist visa as $20 was stamped in my passport but we paid $25 each . Deffinately a scam and they are all in on it . They know exactly what they are doing . Now I know I just think that you have to have correct currency of $20 US dollars