We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel by 4wd from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toogoom, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
travel by 4wd from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

We plan to travel in Feb 2014 by private 4wd from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. Is this worthwhile? friends say its better to fly, but I wonder if there are some interesting things to see along the way?

Also planning to travel from Battambang to Kep - wondering the same thing. Any advice kindly received. Thanks, Deb

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel by 4wd from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

It is nice to do 1 maybe 2 bus trips, but not too many. The are loooong. Fly for some of the journeys definitely.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel by 4wd from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Why a 4WD? That will cost you a lot of money! You can take a mini-van for $12 or so, in my recent experience it was about an hour quicker than any of the buses. They are doing major roadwork (+ potholes here & there) so expect at the very least a 6-hour journey now.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,760 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel by 4wd from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Yes, comfortable and safe 4 X 4 vehicles and English speaking drivers are available for the drive from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. As are a range of other vehicles to suit special interests such as family groups or somewhat larger groups travelling together.

There are those that prefer comfort and safety and the flexibility that such an option provides even if it costs somewhat more. But all said and done you usually get what you pay for and often the difference is not that much more in the overall scheme of things. It is exactly the same for the hotels we choose to stay at so why not for our personal transportation?

Please PM = Personal Message - me if you would like a point of contact.

Personally, I am a regular user of the better bus services but freedom of choice still exists and can be provided for.

All best regards. Ian

4. Re: travel by 4wd from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 05:18