We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To commute from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
7 posts
Save Topic
To commute from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Please help, this is our first trip to Cambodia .We are four adults ( 3 females and one male ) in our fifties wanting to find the safest and least time consuming way to get to Siem Reap from Phnom Penh. Are there flights available and the rough cost on economy class flight ?

What are the other alternative mode of transport you would recommend that we should take and the estimated time of travelling.

Any suggestions would be of help!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To commute from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Cambodia Angkor Air have flights from approx US$100 and take aprox 45 mins plus transit/check-in times. The other option is public bus (Giant Ibis being the most highly recommeded on here) for aprox US$10-15, but generally 6-8 hours depending on traffic/roads.

Kuala Lumpur...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To commute from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Thank you for the info. Will keep this in mind when planning the itinerary.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To commute from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Or you can opt for a mini-van with the Mey Hong company, US$10 and about 90 minutes faster than the bus (they can go around detours/roadwork more quicklly than the bus, same time as a private taxi but a fraction of the cost).

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To commute from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Just be sure to read Donald's OMG post about the mini bus compared to the Giant Ibis before you decide.... ;)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To commute from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

There is nothing "OMG" about the mini-vans, I have taken them many times. Depends on the driver you get, I imagine, a lot of buses end up upside-down in ditches in Cambodia these days...

Kuala Lumpur...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: To commute from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Is the main trunk road from PP to SR that bad, the fittest of drivers that seems to pull through the journey or the size of the vehicle transporting seems to be the order of the day? Maybe a bit of everything. After reading the comments from OMG & others, it seems that Giant Ibis is popular. Thank's guys for your opinions and suggestions. Its all you concerned people on trip adviser that make this site exciting and informative. I have two months to ponder how we are going to get there. Of course I have three women who will probably have the final say. Thanks again.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,630 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To commute from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Hello Nava998,

Your question was about safety and not about speed of passage between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.

As such, my advice to you is to travel on the largest and heaviest vehicle you can book yourself on to because on the roads of Cambodia size and weight really do matter and in any impact, it is the heavier, stronger vehicle that comes off best as do the passengers.

The age of the bus is not so important but the bus company you chose is important and I would further advise your group to only use one of the "Big Two" bus companies in Cambodia for your trip from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. By this I mean either the original point-to-point timetable bus company with its larger fleet of older buses - CAT Mekong Express or the newer, smaller bus company with modern buses - Giant Ibis - which has lap-type seat belts.

Regardless of which bus company you use - all buses are built on a solid chassis, unlike the tin cans called vans.

Over the years and in the Police vehicle accident holding compounds in the larger towns along the various RN's (Routes Nationale) I have seen far too many lightweight passenger tourist vans that are barely recognizable after an accident.

So please Go BIG - Go HEAVY and if this means SLOWER then so be it. You will be the safer for it.

It's a fact of life in Cambodia that no vehicle and no driver in Cambodia is immune from horrific crashes due to the stupidity of other road users often driving excessive hours per day/week and in often un-roadworthy vehicles.

Best regards. Ian

Edited: 03 April 2014, 21:09
Kuala Lumpur...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: To commute from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Thanks Ian message noted.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To commute from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

This is so informative Ian I was thinking of hiring a mini van but now I know heavy and big is better.. I will be there in may first time alone traveller.. So a little daunting

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To commute from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

If cost is not an issue, I would suggest taking the flight. The road from PP to SR is very rough and bumpy. We took a night bus from Giant Ibis at US15/- per pax but the road is really bad for comfort.