We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Kep to Siem Reap

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Kep to Siem Reap

I am travelling to Cambodia in August this year, spending a few days in Phnom Penh, then spending a few days in kep before going up Siem Reap. Given terrible reports I've read about buses from the beaches to Siem Reap I was planning on going kep-PP late afternoon and then travelling on to Siem Reap the next morning.

1. Am I right in thinking there is no particularly safe bus (for that distance preferably night)?

2. Can anyone recommend a night bus PP-Siem Reap or where should we stay overnight near bus station before travelling up the next day?

Thanks

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,653 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Kep to Siem Reap

stay overnight and travel in daylight hours.

check out Giant Ibis

your other option is to travel from Kep up to Sihanoukville by bus/taxi and fly from S'ville to SR

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Kep to Siem Reap

Another option is if you are flying into PP, organise a taxi I to collect you from the Airport and head straight to Kep, this saves you that other night in Pp as you have in your originally plans. Costs should be approx $50.

Otherwise as Helen suggests Giant Ibis.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 23:10
Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Kep to Siem Reap

As regular forum readers will be only too aware, I have up to now been a strong advocate against night bus travel.

However, earlier this trip I was invited to visit Giant Ibis Headquarters and to insect their full operations from front office through to vehicle maintenance and preparation and to discuss any and all matters of interest or concert to me. I accepted this offer at an unannounced date and time of my own choosing so I saw everything "as is" and without any " window dressing". I was also offered a comlimentary ticket for Phnom Penh to Siem Reap but which declined and the normal fare was paid by me in the interests of maintaining my impartiality.

Having inspected the night bus both internally and externally being put through its daily pre-use checking by both the mechanics and the two (2) drivers responsible for the bus on one of the several vehicle servicing bays and over the pit, I now offer a qualified support for night bus travel but ONLY with Giant Ibis.

The GI Night Bus service is operated by two (2), specially built, buses only. Each bus has two (2) drivers who rotate driving duties at regular intervals throughout the trip. Even more importantly, each driver is limited to only one rotation/trip in any 24 hour period and is rested at a company house at Siem Reap and/or the GI HQ Driver rest and stand by facility at HQ in Phnom Penh. Also reassuring is the company driver selection and retraining process. GI only recruits experienced and mature drivers of thirty (30) years of age or older.

There are many other very positive aspects of GI that I could mention but shall refrain from doing so in this post but hope to cover in a later posting.

Are there any negatives about GI?

Well yes there are a few in my opinion as a very intensive user of bus services in Cambodia and for cross-border travel and my trip with them from PP to Siem Reap not so long ago exposed a few and I hope to deal with these matters in a seperate posting on return to Sydney.

But in fairness to GI I have already discussed these issues with them and GI internal action has occured on one matter and several other matters are under review. Well done GI for being so responsive.

But overall, GI is the safest bus company to travel on and the ONLY one I would even consider travelling on at night.

Night bus tips. If you are very tall then the last two bunk beds at the rear of the bus are two metres in length. For the slightly taller than average then the first two bunk/beds are for you. For everyone else, the bunk/beds are 1.8 metres long which should well suit most people.

It is also interesting to note that despite GI's higher fares, an increasing number of Cambodians are also using their limited services.

All best regards. Ian

Departing Battambang at 08:30 am for Kampong Chhnang on the Ponleu Angkor Khmer Bus - very much part of my regular bus company sampling travel and most certainly a B or C league local, all stops, pick-up and drop-off service. But this is part of the real Cambodian bus travel experience but for $4-50 just how much should one expect?

Kampong Cham...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Kep to Siem Reap

" I now offer a qualified support for night bus travel but ONLY with Giant Ibis." All fine and well, but unfortunately this guarantees no protection against drunken idiots, sleepy truck drivers, vehicles with no lights, and stray cattle or water buffalo which might wander on the road. OK, they're safe but unfortunately they have to share the road with others.

From Camp Pi Krawbai

Edited: 11 May 2014, 03:59
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Kep to Siem Reap

I'm sorry Ian , but impartial! That has made me smile!

Kampong Cham...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Kep to Siem Reap

Personally speaking I feel about as secure with an ophthalmologist inspecting a bus as I do with a mechanic examining my eyes. Happy travels!

From Camp Pi Krawbey

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Kep to Siem Reap

Well, well!

Ann and Frank, you both make me laugh.

Frank knows nothing about my past career including in transportation and driver testing.

And Ann knows knows nothing about the regular poster accepting advertising revenue revenue for her Blog from the bus company concerned. Talk about impartiality?

Pots calling kettles black it seems to me.

Best regards. Ian

Kampong Cham...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Kep to Siem Reap

So, did you test drive the bus? And you are ignoring all the other variables mentioned. No one thinks they are going to live forever, but I don't take night buses and I don't go over Niagra Falls in a barrel. You're a man for all seasons, But somehow in spite of your self advertisements I don't think you know as much as you claim nor do we know as little as you estimate.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 03:44
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from Kep to Siem Reap

Ian, l think you have me mixed up with some one else, l do not have a blog! Just a regular traveler to Cambodia with an interest in helping others, that's it! I do not big note myself just offer practical advice based on my experiences. Please let me know where this blog is? And it's advertising revenue?

Glad you enjoyed the laugh.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 04:33
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
565 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from Kep to Siem Reap

@Penguin: Day travel from PP / Siem Reap to Sihanoukville is best by bus (two tier pricing system) and safe. It's a bit long in terms of time although the distance is short. New highway to Sihanoukville from PP / SR.

I was in Sihanoukville 2 years ago and wanted to visit KEP but was told that the only way there was by hire taxi, either waiting for the driver to fill up all the seats, or hiring the whole vehicle yourself. Bus services non - existence, I was told (2 yr ago).

Agree that travel should be by day as the roads are not lit at night and the bus drivers ill-disciplined on road safety.