We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

orphanage in Phnom Penh to bring goods

emmeloord
Level Contributor
19 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
orphanage in Phnom Penh to bring goods

Hello all of you!

I know this is for some people a little bit a controversial topic, but a small village in the Netherlands has gathered 2 large bags full of stuffed-animals (half of them are brand new, half of them are as good as new) when they found out I had to visit Phnom penh in the coming weeks.

I have been at an orphanage in Phnom Penh before, to do exactly the same thing, and the people there were very nice! They really cared for the children (about half of all the children were present at the time of my visit) and they were very happy with the toys.

For me, it is very important (in my life it Always has been) to have something that is your own. Especially at a communal place like an orphanage, where all goods tend to be from everyone, it is very nice to have a small toy that is your own.

I cannot give money (i dont have it that much) or other goods, but the toys I am happy with giving away.

I am not going to take lots of photos or anything like that, because I don't need any favor in return.

Can anybody give me (also by emailing of messaging me) directions AND a streetname where something like this is situated?

The last one I visited gave a home to about 40 or 50 children, this time I have a lot more stuffed animals :-)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: orphanage in Phnom Penh to bring goods

Hi

Just wanted to ask, are the stuffed animals new? If not, do know they can carry dust mites, not a good idea for sensitive children. The best you could do would be to contact the place, ask them what they are in NEED of (I always buy soap, towels and toothbrushes & toothpaste for the 100 children my friends & I support) and buy it THERE. You won't have to be bringing stuff with you and you will also be supporting the local economy. I hear form various shelters (aka orphanages) that peopel are brigning random items that end up being stored in a storeroom, or donated to local schools. PLEASE consider asking the place what they actually NEED before you go.

I will message you with information for a shelter I support.

Cheers

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,355 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: orphanage in Phnom Penh to bring goods

please donate them to an orphanage or kids hospital in the Netherlands

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: orphanage in Phnom Penh to bring goods

That would work, too! :-)

emmeloord
Level Contributor
19 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: orphanage in Phnom Penh to bring goods

Of coarse it would work. BUT, about 60-80 of the animals were specially made by elderly people (and they look cute, the animals) for the children over there.

Of coarse I could buy stuff there (I have done so in the past, but now I have been given the animals)

The ones that are not new were proffesionaly cleaned, so no worries in that area.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: orphanage in Phnom Penh to bring goods

Well then bring the animals but please also bring/buy some things that the kids/facility can really use. :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: orphanage in Phnom Penh to bring goods

As a general principle, there should be NO donations of any form without prior consultation with and consent from the proposed recipient organization.

People's perceived needs and the actual needs are frequently miles apart.

Imposing "gifts/donations" on people and organizations may give you a short lived "warm feeling" but it is another form of last century colonial thinking because the donor believes in advance that the donor "knows best".

But of greater concern to me is an entirely different matter.

In developed countries it is easy to dry clean soft toys.

But in the under- developed world where the means and finance for doing this are, for all practical purposes, non existent, and where such toys are shared by many others, these toys rapidly become the vector to transmission of multiple medical problems ranging from assorted eye infections and URTI - upper respiratory tract infections and even skin infections. So please rethink any gifts of such toys.

Many well intentioned actions such as yours often have quite unintended consequences because donors act from their hearts and not from experience or external advice.

And no, I am not trying to be a kill joy but am writing from experience.

Best regards. Ian

Camp Phnom Penh

phnom penh
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: orphanage in Phnom Penh to bring goods

Just give the bloody animals to any orphanage, they are hardly able to sell these things to enrich themselves. And the dusf mites, whew have you seen the state of hygiene in this country?

phnom penh
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: orphanage in Phnom Penh to bring goods

Just give the bloody animals to any orphanage, they are hardly able to sell these things to enrich themselves. And the dusf mites, whew have you seen the state of hygiene in this country?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
604 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: orphanage in Phnom Penh to bring goods

@mhlokhorst: I've visited this outreach to street children in Phnom Penh before, donating writing material to them etc. Good cause to help Search for "River Kids Foundation Cambodia" and you will get the facts about this organisation and decide whether you can help them.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: orphanage in Phnom Penh to bring goods

Our internat. ladies group in BKK always includes a toy with the xmas goodie bag which we give to a selected orphanage or care home at xmas. Kids love to have something which is their own. I consider it wrong to deny kids this right. A kid is a kid. They need more than a toothbrush.